not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

What is the criteria for choosing the duties to lapse?

16 Apr 2019, 16:47

Long story short - our office, due to various reasons hasn't lapsed for ages (woopee!)
The duties that used to be the traditional 'lapsing' ones have now been picked by staff.

Now we are slightly better staffed - they want us to lapse again.

So, what is the recognised criteria for choosing which duties get chosen from scratch? - as so far all there seems to be is a barrage of finger pointing as 'experts' point out who should be made 'dutyless'.

Nearest the office?
Halfway between the closest and the furthest away?
The fewest houses on a duty?
Or whatever person is off that week?

16 Apr 2019, 16:51

Royal Mail logic, the furthest away from the office :crazy:

My old office it use to be the closest walk, at my current office its anything they fancy.

16 Apr 2019, 16:53

....one potato, two potato, three potato etc.

16 Apr 2019, 17:04

Ozzvaldo wrote:....one potato, two potato, three potato etc.

Brilliant!,you’ve been listening in on a management conference call clearly!,

16 Apr 2019, 17:05

back in the day it used be the duty closest to the office, but now no duty is unlapseable (is that a word)

16 Apr 2019, 17:30

OK, thanks.

So in the event of no-one volunteering - management can essentially pick whatever duty they want?

How would that work if there is a shared van duty and they decide to split ONE of those walks? Problem being - the smallest one takes 1:40 (each) and the longer one 2:40 (each).
You just know some poor sod is going to be expected to deliver the harder of the 2 duties - the 2:40 part - yet be on their own - so at least 5hr 20.

16 Apr 2019, 18:05

lcook282 wrote:unlapseable (is that a word)

No, but uncollapsible is. :wink:

16 Apr 2019, 18:08

I ain’t done ‘lapsing’ for 7 months. Start on time and take break. We have to take a full 1/6 d2d everyday so no time. My part time partner doesn’t start until 9.30. Then I go for break after doing all the prep. All the people who come in early for free to get a head start and don’t take their breaks are welcome to it. Fools. When will they learn. Doh.

16 Apr 2019, 18:16

Numberone63 wrote:I ain’t done ‘lapsing’ for 7 months. Start on time and take break. We have to take a full 1/6 d2d everyday so no time. My part time partner doesn’t start until 9.30. Then I go for break after doing all the prep. All the people who come in early for free to get a head start and don’t take their breaks are welcome to it. Fools. When will they learn. Doh.

i do the same everyday, unfortunately the sad bastards that do early start 4AM OT everyday to do half the IPS (that we allegedly are loosing) make sure we lapse.

16 Apr 2019, 18:21

Numberone63 wrote:I ain’t done ‘lapsing’ for 7 months. Start on time and take break. We have to take a full 1/6 d2d everyday so no time. My part time partner doesn’t start until 9.30. Then I go for break after doing all the prep. All the people who come in early for free to get a head start and don’t take their breaks are welcome to it. Fools. When will they learn. Doh.

Oh, thats been the case in our DO once they have started bringing lapsing in again - funnily enough on the back of people stopping taking breaks on 'quieter' days to finish 40 mins early etc.
I simply have no time to do it, but on the rare occasion that I might be able to - I'd have thought it would be sensible to have a designated duty for that purpose.

16 Apr 2019, 19:23

Finger in the air and what they can get away with i suppose, though most of it seems to go on overtime,which kind of defeats the object.

16 Apr 2019, 19:40

Yeah if it was up to me I'd be sensible and suggest the duty that everybody went past on their way out which probably would be one of the closest one to the office.

16 Apr 2019, 20:46

Does everyone have a duty at your office ?
For lapsing at our office it has tended to be on a duty where someone is long term sick or has left the business so they leave the duty open for lapsing or OT if it's too busy for lapsing.
If that isn't possible they have shifted the lapsing to cover people's duties on holiday.

16 Apr 2019, 21:25

How many rounds are lapsed is how greedy the manager is. Simple.

16 Apr 2019, 23:01

No real criteria for it but atleast the management in our office use the closest walk to the office. It has historically been the lapsing walk and no-one with any seniority picked it in the last revision.

My partner & I always take our lapsing bit even though we are claiming o/t to finish our walk 3 or 4 days of the week. Lapsing just adds an extra 10 minutes o/t. Our lapsing bit takes less than 3 minutes to do but waiting to get access to the block and then the lifts brings its to 10 minutes. Easy money.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2