not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE


My Week as a Unit Rep

23 Mar 2019, 14:05

Ive had our DOM refuse to speak to me because I asked him a questions about his proposed savings he has refused to discuss so he’s put in the IR framework
I’ve spoken at length to my area rep about 2 disagreements we have
I’ve visited a member at home they are gravely ill
I’ve spent any spare time my own time typing up and compiling what might become a discrimination case
I’ve held a unit meeting
Held several unit committee meetings
I’ve had a line manager actively briefing against me
And I’ve completed a delivery every day
I am not on full time release
Yet members still say your in it for yourself


My Week as a Unit Rep

25 Mar 2019, 11:33

sadlersbitch wrote:Ive had our DOM refuse to speak to me because I asked him a questions about his proposed savings he has refused to discuss so he’s put in the IR framework
I’ve spoken at length to my area rep about 2 disagreements we have
I’ve visited a member at home they are gravely ill
I’ve spent any spare time my own time typing up and compiling what might become a discrimination case
I’ve held a unit meeting
Held several unit committee meetings
I’ve had a line manager actively briefing against me
And I’ve completed a delivery every day
I am not on full time release
Yet members still say your in it for yourself

Ah, the joys if being a Rep, lol!
Strange how so many think it is easy when they never know the peril of putting your head above the parapet trying to protect their interests!

My Week as a Unit Rep

25 Mar 2019, 13:29

Agreed it is not an easy job but some union reps are not as conscientious and some abuse their position. It is never a personal remark but we should always avoid generalisations whether it is for or against... It is only SOME!

My Week as a Unit Rep

25 Mar 2019, 13:47

chrisj wrote:Agreed it is not an easy job but some union reps are not as conscientious and some abuse their position. It is never a personal remark but we should always avoid generalisations whether it is for or against... It is only SOME!

I agree with you. Many Reps try their best and it is very hard to keep everyone happy, a lot of members are very selfish.
It is a general held opinion by most that the Union are s**t, the rep is in the managers pocket,etc, bla bla!
With good solid support from the members things would improve very quickly and Reps would enjoy an elevated level of respect from managers, rather than being seen as a token threat in protecting members interests.
Management at all levels, reap all the benefits from weak membership support.
Divisions, along with membership apathy is without doubt our biggest problem!

My Week as a Unit Rep

25 Mar 2019, 18:34

To the union reps,I salute you,we don’t have one in our office as apathy is alive and well,until we need clarification and back up on various issues,I had been tempted,but fear the workplaces wouldn’t support my thinking on getting them to do the job properly,breaks. Start times etc,so that’s why me and many others don’t do it,I would love to say yes but you would have to support and back me,and then listen to silence as the tumble weed blows across the office floor,I don’t think I could find the time and energy any more to do battle with management,and get my round done,having just had union support on my driving accident to get me back driving I’m aware and great full to what a great job they do,

My Week as a Unit Rep

25 Mar 2019, 19:28

robbertwhitton wrote:To the union reps,I salute you,we don’t have one in our office as apathy is alive and well,until we need clarification and back up on various issues,I had been tempted,but fear the workplaces wouldn’t support my thinking on getting them to do the job properly,breaks. Start times etc,so that’s why me and many others don’t do it,I would love to say yes but you would have to support and back me,and then listen to silence as the tumble weed blows across the office floor,I don’t think I could find the time and energy any more to do battle with management,and get my round done,having just had union support on my driving accident to get me back driving I’m aware and great full to what a great job they do,

A good, accurate description of why people are not willing to accept or volunteer to take on the challenges associated with a thankless job. An abundance of mouth pieces ready to vent off their opinions of people trying to represent their interests in their own casual derogatory manner. Thankless job, only appreciation ever shown is when saving their skins and all too soon forgotten.

My Week as a Unit Rep

25 Mar 2019, 19:30

some people see the reps taking an easier duty, and so they should if theyre doing their rep job well !! Union rep is a very time consuming and pressurised position and I thank all of you who do it and do it well !

My Week as a Unit Rep

29 Mar 2019, 22:40

Some reps work hard for their members and full credit to them. Its the ones that perhaps don't do a full delivery everyday and seem to act like they are spokespeople for the management that are the ones that you've got to watch. You know the ones who spout off saying use your trolleys, work to your time and come grab us if you are having problems cutting off and then you walk round the shop floor thinking, well where are you then??? Good job some of us are a little bit more savvy than what the rep is :wink:

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 1