not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Bald Tyre

10 Feb 2019, 23:09

I have recently gone through fact finding for failing to spot a bald tyre. Case has now been referred to MPU manager as I understand it from reading the conduct code the options from here are dismissal or suspended dismissal. Any advice?

Bald Tyre

10 Feb 2019, 23:55

Tell them that because of manager pressure to complete you never have time to complete the 10 minute check on the vans or however long it is

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 00:33

No excuse not to do a van check just pure laziness putting your own life at risk and others around you when driving RM need to tighten up on this :evil/mad

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 00:52

Refused to take a van out due to bald tyres , lineo tried to get me to go out in it. Told him to fornicate in a different direction. Turned out 3 senior men had told him the same previously :arrrghhh and logged it off. 2 weeks later newbies were still taking it out on Yule Brynner's.

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 12:00

I hope you have put the Newbies in the know Noggin.

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 12:01

jd9442 wrote:Tell them that because of manager pressure to complete you never have time to complete the 10 minute check on the vans or however long it is

There is no excuse for Bald tyres. It takes literally less than one minute to check them. If you take over a vehicle and it has defective tyres, put it off the road.

This is what gets me at our office. We've probably got half a dozen who have been on one and two year serious warnings because of tyres, some of which had the wires hanging out of them and yet no-one ever learns.

We've got posters up detailing the law and how to check tyres, we've had team briefs about it but they don't listen.

As far as them never having the time. We get that statement all the time but they'll often finish an hour early on a Tuesday and walk out the door.

I deal with the vans at my place and I drive multiple vans every week. I know which vans I need to check the tyres on and which I don't depending on the duty holders. Many, many times I've gone out to a van and had to change a tyre (or two) before I could go out in it.

I know we get all the crap about how dangerous it is so I'll give you an example. A lot of years ago one of our lads went into the office and refused to take a van due to a baldy tyre. He was given a a hire that we had and off he went to do his duty. On the way to the start of his duty an old lady stepped in front of him and he hit her. She died two days later and he was completely exonerated of all blame. If he had took the van with the baldy tyre though...

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 13:18

Stammerking wrote:No excuse not to do a van check just pure laziness putting your own life at risk and others around you when driving RM need to tighten up on this :evil/mad

He asked for advice, not judgement, that's coming his way anyway, and no doubt he feels some guilt anyway - so way to go.

Any advice for him.

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 14:33

Have you been issued with a depth gauge and have you been shown how to use it?

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 16:09

Every tyre has got a depth guide on them, when it’s level pmt it cover yourself.

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 18:01

Was given tread gauge after fact finding meeting, Royal Mail policy is 2 mm is bald despite law being 1.6mm.
I admit I was at fault, didn't do checks this day but normally do as always in different vans.
my main gripe is I have PMT vans for bald tyres before and nothing has been said to duty holder, think I upset manager bringing this up in meeting that why it's been passed up

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 19:06

You made a mistake mate, they shouldn't be looking to hang you for it. Your not the regular driver and it didn't become bald overnight did it!

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 19:09

casualnowwithangard wrote:Was given tread gauge after fact finding meeting, Royal Mail policy is 2 mm is bald despite law being 1.6mm.
I admit I was at fault, didn't do checks this day but normally do as always in different vans.
my main gripe is I have PMT vans for bald tyres before and nothing has been said to duty holder, think I upset manager bringing this up in meeting that why it's been passed up

If you had 2mm tread left then you might be ok. Our workshop has returned vans with 2mm need greater wear to change them. If the tyre was smooth bald below the 1.6mm wear indicator then no point making an argument other than asking for some mercy to be shown for a serious warning. Sorry :sad: best of luck.

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 20:16

Well the fleet is in poor shape to be fair and some vans well passed there best and still in service,they should be scrapped,and not used as a reserve,do the checks to the letter if that’s what they want,we’ve had vans defective and then told by many to drive them to workshops?... no I won’t it’s not roadworthy!,that’s why I defected it,a bit like make sure you do you checks but don’t find anything wrong with it and defect it,cos it causes management a problem!,, oh well suck it up!!!

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 20:33

I would take a warning but seems like they going for more. I accept I've made a mistake but believe they have set precedence by not doing anything about similar cases. All I want is equality and obviously keep my job

Bald Tyre

11 Feb 2019, 23:46

same thing happened to me several years ago mate. I was taken in for the disciplinary and was told own up or be sacked. I didn't believe I was in the wrong as I had done my checks and seen no issue but it was a kangaroo court.
The point though that is important is that I along with 16 other people received a 2 year suspended dismissal for the same van. When the tyre was found to be bald, I had not driven it for 3 weeks and 298 miles had passed and after checks had been done it was found to be an issue with the balancing of the tyres meaning it wore away quicker. I had only driven the van one afternoon for half an hour for overtime. Management said anyone who had driven the van for the previous 300 miles before the tyre had been spotted were also to blame so if I was you I would raise that issue. I think you will find the hearing to be a farce though.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1