not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 20:41

manager in my office thinks are are going back to posties and parcel drivers,

However he reckons a postie will deliver letters and postable packets for two walks on a bike.
A parcel driver will deliver packets for 4-6 walks.

If driver delivers parcels for 6 walks, that would also require 3 mail posties. So therefore 4 posties are delivering 6 walks instead of the current 6.

Big savings

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 20:55

plymouth3 wrote:manager in my office thinks are are going back to posties and parcel drivers,

However he reckons a postie will deliver letters and postable packets for two walks on a bike.
A parcel driver will deliver packets for 4-6 walks.

If driver delivers parcels for 6 walks, that would also require 3 mail posties. So therefore 4 posties are delivering 6 walks instead of the current 6.

Big savings

Your manager is a fool, that’ll never happen

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 21:00

number one wrote:
hero22 wrote:how can you do 45 hours overtime in one week on top of your own contracted hours ? 44k a year is bollocks

Ghosting
Coming in to do early sorting -2hrs
Doing a row of a walk extra -2hrs
Doing a full walk extra -10hrs
Working day off -10hrs
York of packets -3hrs
Collections - 4hrs
Working Sunday -5hrs

It all adds up.

Come April I will post up wage slips for all the non believers

Time taken on deathbed to realise 'i worked too many hrs'

About a minute.

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 21:03

rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:
hero22 wrote:how can you do 45 hours overtime in one week on top of your own contracted hours ? 44k a year is bollocks

Ghosting
Working day off -10hrs
York of packets -3hrs
Collections - 4hrs
Working Sunday -5hrs

It all adds up.

About a minute.

Paid for and worked are two different things

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 21:08

clashcityrocker wrote:
postmanzach wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
goldy wrote:I think we have to start thinking about]maximum walking distance.

First we need to realise that nobody is walking 13 miles/day.
It would take you over 4 hours of walking at a steady pace to cover that distance - never mind stopping at doors/waiting for customers etc.
So if we are going to start thinking about maximum walking distances we first need an accurate measure.

Are you a Dom or area management type?

Neither.
Just someone who realises that modern technology has its limits and isn't afraid to use his noodle when something doesn't add up.
As a fitter than average person I don't think I could walk 13 miles/day in a 4-5 hour delivery span.
I know I couldn't.
I have worked in offices the length and breadth of the country and I have mapped my duties using map my run etc and even allowing a generous add on for the driveways no duty has ever come anywhere near 13 miles of walking. Not even close.
So ask yourself how the technology you are using actually works and then ask why it might not be as accurate as you think.

Just walking up and down 500 average sized driveways (10m path to door) , you'd clock up over six miles without the bits in between the houses. 13 miles on a 6 hr delivery on a Wednesday is entirely possible I'd say.

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 21:10

number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:

Ghosting
Working day off -10hrs
York of packets -3hrs
Collections - 4hrs
Working Sunday -5hrs

It all adds up.

About a minute.

In that case, get prepared for a big change mate, as that sort of thing ain't gonna last much longer.

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 21:26

rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:

Ghosting
Working day off -10hrs
York of packets -3hrs
Collections - 4hrs
Working Sunday -5hrs

It all adds up.

About a minute.

In that case, get prepared for a big change mate, as that sort of thing ain't gonna last much longer.

Heard the same thing for 20 years

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 21:26

Celgar wrote:We were told yesterday about a conversation our DOM has just had with some kind of higher up manager. Apparently RM wants 3% cuts across the whole business which equates to a reduction of 32 duty hours from our office budget so effectively not that far off a walk removed. Our DO is a fairly small one so this cut is going to really cut into larger offices staff levels.

The rest of the announcement shocked our union rep and was totally unexpected given that our walks are the longest in our area. RM want to forcibly move three FT posties from our DO to permanently work in another as yet undecided DO which could be up to 25 miles away! They then want to replace those three FT posties with three PT posties working undisclosed hours. They also want posties to do double prep to enable those PT posties to just do the delivery element of the job.

The higher manager person is of the impression that we don't have enough work to do to fill the prep time we are allocated. The trouble is the figures he/she has do not relate to how we perform the job therefore if we try to do it the way he/she thinks it will work then there won't be enough time to complete. Our DOM says this just show RM basically don't give a f*** about quality of service and only the bottom line matters.

Our DOM is now looking into redundancy & IHR options for any of us in case this **** scenario is implemented. So now we have to go to war and 'work to rule', or do the job properly as it is otherwise known, to show that how we do it currently makes it possible. If we do it by the book we will be like a lot of other offices where the mail routinely does not get delivered. I'm not sure how it's going to work out yet so either we will be able to get everything delivered each day and claim overtime or we will be 'cutting off' nearly every day! If everyone doesn't do it properly from now on our office is going to drastically change and will never be the same again.

RM has a history of making really bad changes to the job many of which I cannot remember but the most notable being absorption/lapsing/flexing. We never expected this to happen especially as we take great pride in our work and had been told we were one of the best DOs in our area.

Has anyone else just had this kind of bad news in their DOs ???

Every time a full-timer leaves, they always got replaced by a part-timer on less hours and I wonder if your office has too many full-timers?? In our office there are quite a few posties who double-prep duties for their part-time colleagues and the only way it seems to work is if 1. the postie/s comes in early for nowt (a few of them still do this) 2. its a real light day or 3. they bring the part-timer in early on overtime.

Someone looking at an office budget could be led to believe that more hours need to be put into the duties, especially if theres lots of overtime being claimed, when the opposite may in fact be the case.

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 21:38

number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:

Ghosting
Working day off -10hrs
York of packets -3hrs
Collections - 4hrs
Working Sunday -5hrs

It all adds up.

About a minute.

If every office was run like your corrupted place, royal mail would go out of business and you and all 130000 of your colleagues would be in the dole queue. Why some posties still don't understand that we are now a business which has to make money or go out of business. Your office by your description is probably running at a loss, and you think that's gonna continue? Really?

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 22:01

rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:

Ghosting
Working day off -10hrs
York of packets -3hrs
Collections - 4hrs
Working Sunday -5hrs

It all adds up.

About a minute.

If every office was run like your corrupted place, royal mail would go out of business and you and all 130000 of your colleagues would be in the dole queue. Why some posties still don't understand that we are now a business which has to make money or go out of business. Your office by your description is probably running at a loss, and you think that's gonna continue? Really?

Nope, as I said earlier we are within budget

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 22:07

number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:

Ghosting
Working day off -10hrs
York of packets -3hrs
Collections - 4hrs
Working Sunday -5hrs

It all adds up.

About a minute.

Nope, as I said earlier we are within budget

I bet you are - just imagine all the dosh you're saving your DOM by doing all that OT instead of employing more posties. Bet he/she loves it when
their bonus is calculated.......

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 22:12

Yep, win win all round then. Happy posties, happy DOM makes a happy place to work

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 22:47

number one wrote:Yep, win win all round then. Happy posties, happy DOM makes a happy place to work

and a genius rep who works wonders

Declaration of war.

11 Feb 2019, 23:04

aiden01 wrote:
number one wrote:Yep, win win all round then. Happy posties, happy DOM makes a happy place to work

Employed as a jackanory presenter prior to his life with RM and becoming a rep negotiating terms that May would dearly appreciate in Brussels. Dave Ward could do with some training tips from this master of improving the T&Cs to his members. How the unit DOM explains away the OT costs to his superior is a mystery to me.
This is certainly not typical DO budgeting experience that anyone else recognises, far less "happy posties" and a "happy " place to work. I do not believe it can be the Utopia he describes !!

Declaration of war.

12 Feb 2019, 00:13

tommyrep wrote:
aiden01 wrote:

Employed as a jackanory presenter prior to his life with RM and becoming a rep negotiating terms that May would dearly appreciate in Brussels. Dave Ward could do with some training tips from this master of improving the T&Cs to his members. How the unit DOM explains away the OT costs to his superior is a mystery to me.
This is certainly not typical DO budgeting experience that anyone else recognises, far less "happy posties" and a "happy " place to work. I do not believe it can be the Utopia he describes !!

He is in fantasy land mate.

Declaration of war.

12 Feb 2019, 04:58

tommyrep wrote:
aiden01 wrote:

Just because you might not be as successful as me in being a rep there’s no need for put downs

Declaration of war.

12 Feb 2019, 06:13

number one wrote:
tommyrep wrote:
aiden01 wrote:

Just because you might not be as successful as me in being a rep there’s no need for put downs

You must work in the biggest office in the U.K.

On the basis it has to fit your ego. :Applause

Declaration of war.

12 Feb 2019, 07:00

Chalky13 wrote:
number one wrote:
tommyrep wrote:
aiden01 wrote:

You must work in the biggest office in the U.K.

On the basis it has to fit your ego. :Applause

No need for bullying

Declaration of war.

12 Feb 2019, 07:35

clashcityrocker wrote: So ask yourself how the technology you are using actually works and then ask why it might not be as accurate as you think.

Definitely not an attack, just asking, maybe you teach me something; are you saying those apps posties like to wave around showing how far they’ve walked are not at all accurate and if so, why aren’t they? Just genuinely curious as to why.

Declaration of war.

12 Feb 2019, 07:39

TheTrolleyMan wrote:Bring on clockin in/out machines

I’m 90% sure this function will be rolled out vie PDAs; don’t ask for citation, it’s just hearsay. We’ll see if I’m right.

Previous page Next page

Page 5 of 7   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7