not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 06:59

Problem is, a vast majority of the OPGs going home early are only doing so because they've not taken all their paid break; not used their LWTs/HCTs correctly (carrying pouches on their shoulders, often way above the lowered official limit of [5Kg?]); not stood still while grabbing the letters from their working bundle for the next address etc. Easily has the potential to reduce the working day by 60-90mins, depending on how busy the day is.

And by getting back off delivery earlier, this gives them opportunity to prep the next day's D2D into the frame before signing out for the day.

Which then reduces the next morning's indoor time before their PDA records what time they leave the office for delivery, anything from approx 10-60 minutes, depending upon how many D2Ds the duty has for the week and how many addresses have been prepped.

Job and finish was supposed to have ended ~9 years ago, but in reality old practices carried on.

As long as OPGs finish time takes account of any untaken break, finishing before their hours are up, they don't care... But then you have others who should be getting paid overtime after taking account of untaken break time but they don't claim, for fear of "performance issue" accusations. It's a crazy situation where doing the job properly, which takes more time, puts you in a tiny minority in the office and puts a target on your back.

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 08:45

Woody Guthrie wrote:
Phantom wrote:
Celgar wrote: So now we have to go to war and 'work to rule', or do the job properly as it is otherwise known, to show that how we do it currently makes it possible.

So you haven't being doing the job properly and they've managed to strip hours out...………….Think about it!!!

Again for the hard of understanding.
Doing the job properly doesn't make any difference when you're arguing against a savings plan that's based on indoor hours (as they all are).
The projected traffic goes into the IWT and it spits out the hours required.
We're dealing with a structural decline in letter traffic, we're seeing increased automation and we're seeing less feeds with later starts which are all reducing the indoor hours.

Not doing the job properly increases lapsing and lets management reduce costs dynamically, it allows them the scope to hit budget targets where otherwise they would overspend and it hides a multitude of failings but it DOESN'T affect the setting of budgets or savings plans. You can't set a budget based on something that isn't supposed to happen and therefore has no parameters in the IWT.

It's nothing to do with budgets as nearly or all delivery offices go over budget, it's all about your finishing time. PDA actuals are looked at by the Ops Manager and delivery director for each sector, they are not interested in what time you start, whether you take a break or use a trolley. All they want to see is the time you finish and if it's before your schedule time then they want those hours. The sad thing is, is that a lot of staff are still in that frame of mind that they have to make time and this is exactly what RM want that's why none of the above is enforced.

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 08:59

aiden01 wrote:
number one wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
Celgar wrote:We are going to try and fight it but I already feel we are going to lose and that this is the end . :sad:

Get number one in as your office rep he and his colleagues seem to have plenty of hours to spare in their DO.

I would but busy looking after my own staff. Don’t hate

Your staff??? where have i used the word HATE??

Yes “my staff” the staff that I defend and look after day to day in my office. Our office is in budget, hits all our delivery targets. Job and finish is still in place, no lapsing and plenty of overtime for those that want it. Zero bullying and everyone enjoys working there. There’s also 21 members who will earn over £44k this year, whats not to like?

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 09:43

44 k ?

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 10:04

Our rep said we are to lose hours, he said he hadnt agreed anything ,although others on here have said it was in the original agreement five years ago, but I think the extra work is making the walks impossibly long, on a tuesday mail is light but because of flex we walk up to thirteen miles our normal duty is about ten or eleven but the flex is basically half another round between us.I think we have to start thinking about]maximum walking distance.

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 10:14

number one wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
number one wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
Celgar wrote:We are going to try and fight it but I already feel we are going to lose and that this is the end . :sad:

Get number one in as your office rep he and his colleagues seem to have plenty of hours to spare in their DO.

Yes “my staff” the staff that I defend and look after day to day in my office. Our office is in budget, hits all our delivery targets. Job and finish is still in place, no lapsing and plenty of overtime for those that want it. Zero bullying and everyone enjoys working there. There’s also 21 members who will earn over £44k this year, whats not to like?

Honestly cant take your posts with any seriousness. :wave

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 10:16

goldy wrote:I think we have to start thinking about]maximum walking distance.

First we need to realise that nobody is walking 13 miles/day.
It would take you over 4 hours of walking at a steady pace to cover that distance - never mind stopping at doors/waiting for customers etc.
So if we are going to start thinking about maximum walking distances we first need an accurate measure.

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 10:22

aiden01 wrote:
number one wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
number one wrote:
aiden01 wrote:

Honestly cant take your posts with any seriousness. :wave

That’s absolutely fine, your choice but I can tell you it’s 100% true.

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 10:27

number one wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
number one wrote:
aiden01 wrote:

Do you and "your staff" use the mandatory equipment for example lightweight trolleys

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 10:49

P13 wrote:
number one wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
number one wrote:
aiden01 wrote:

Do you and "your staff" use the mandatory equipment for example lightweight trolleys

Nope, the odd one or two do

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 11:53

clashcityrocker wrote:

It would take you over 4 hours of walking at a steady pace to cover that distance - never mind stopping at doors/waiting for customers etc.
So if we are going to start thinking about maximum walking distances we first need an accurate measure.

I can absolutely assure you that in my old office that most deliveries were at least 13 miles long on a good day.

5-6 hours long deliveries at the least where 90% of the office do not finish on time and lapsing was every single day because of staff shortages.

If everyone did the job properly ( I did and would leave loops everyday ) then add another hour or so to that number.

Some offices are an utter shambles.

4-5000 thousand new delivery points in 5 years didn’t help but nor doe no new deliveries.

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 12:47

clashcityrocker wrote:

i once measured my old walk a few years ago pausing all the stops/driving and it was 13.5 miles, it's since had some added on too, i've also done some longer duties since

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 12:54

Phantom wrote:
Celgar wrote: So now we have to go to war and 'work to rule', or do the job properly as it is otherwise known, to show that how we do it currently makes it possible.

So you haven't being doing the job properly and they've managed to strip hours out...………….Think about it!!!

Well said ! Now he talk of going to war ?
Until all units do the job properly there will never be a war and RM know that.
Too many spineless colleagues to go to war, probably would not win a tug o war challenge against the local pre school nursery team.

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 13:39

tommyrep wrote:
Phantom wrote:

Well said ! Now he talk of going to war ?
Until all units do the job properly there will never be a war and RM know that.
Too many spineless colleagues to go to war, probably would not win a tug o war challenge against the local pre school nursery team.

In my office i cant get my head round when Postman say i am now going to do the job properly and work till my time when Royal Mail have the last 12 months PDA results that say they have been finishing 2 hours early and they dance in front of the DOM when signing off at Midday THICK as S...

Declaration of war.

10 Feb 2019, 14:28

It's nothing to do with budgets as nearly or all delivery offices go over budget,

Of course it is.
When they take hours out of an office where do you think they take them from,the cupboard under the stairs?
When you build a budget you have to populate it with real things,not imaginary savings based on members starting early or not taking their breaks. It gets filled by indoor workload and outdoor workload. This is where savings plans are applied and hours cut from core budgets, mostly from indoor work because outdoor is pretty static.

Dynamic savings are what happens on a daily basis when numpties start early,don't take their breaks and end up lapsing. Hours are not removed from offices because of dynamic savings because as you point out despite lapsing the vast majority of offices are still over budget but what it does mean is that these offices are closer to budget than they should be which makes it harder to get hours back in.

If Royal Mail introduced banking hours it would be possible to apply budget savings to finishing times but would members still start early if their hours were banked...who knows?

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 10   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10