not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT CWU : We have announced an industrial action ballot timetable in Royal Mail group - ballot papers will be dispatched on 24th September if no agreement is reached before then. HERE

Newbie - Advice please

06 Feb 2019, 19:39

Hello all!

I'm a new postwoman (started at the beginning of January). Unfortunately, on my 4th day on the job, I somehow got a knee injury and my left knee has been hurting ever since. I work Wed - Sat, 6 hours a day, so my legs don't get much time to heal in between shifts.

I've tried painkillers, cold compresses, a heat lamp, resting, elevating, insoles, knee supports during my shift... nothing seems to be of much help. I'm now 5 weeks in, and while the pain is easing up slightly (pain now starts on my second round in the afternoon, and not all day long) it is still slowing me down, as going up and down steps /hills is extremely painful (I work in the Welsh valleys and according to my Fitbit I do around 136 floors, so that gives you a rough idea of how many hills and steps are on my route!). I don't want to push myself and cause more damage but I hate slowing down my team. Struggling to get a doctors appointment as my doctors is s**t, so i'd really like to get this fixed asap!

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Hopefully this won't last much longer.

If you have any advice about being a new postie in general, I would also be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit - I should probably mention that my previous job was office based, very sedentary so I can only assume that my knee problems have come from being shocked into so much sudden activity.
Last edited by helloimrae on 06 Feb 2019, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie - Advice please

06 Feb 2019, 19:42

Sorry he hear about you injurie mate well rest when you can and just go your pace ! If your partner is moaning I’m sure he will come help you finish your loops.

Newbie - Advice please

06 Feb 2019, 19:49

Smith1212 wrote:Sorry he hear about you injurie mate well rest when you can and just go your pace ! If your partner is moaning I’m sure he will come help you finish your loops.

Thank you. I'm lucky to have had some great partners so far who have all been very patient and helpful, taking bags or extra parcels off me etc so that we can finish on time. I've also got a great manager, but the assistant manager (or whatever they are called) has started to get shitty with me saying i've been here long enough now, i should know my route so its time to pick up the pace. He knows about my knee injury and has told me not to push myself, so i'm a bit baffled as to what he wants from me really.

Newbie - Advice please

06 Feb 2019, 20:03

without sounding rude, though it will, are you a few pounds over?
also footwear can be an issue, i got shin splints when i 1st started, that was bloody painful , new trainers soon sorted it out, also bag weights, try and lessen the load if possible, can be quicker to drive with even smaller packets especially if the weathers none too kind

Newbie - Advice please

06 Feb 2019, 20:16

As above. Shoes are soooo important.Ive learnt when My shoes wear down it kills My knees. Yes really!!!!

Newbie - Advice please

06 Feb 2019, 20:59

korky wrote:without sounding rude, though it will, are you a few pounds over?
also footwear can be an issue, i got shin splints when i 1st started, that was bloody painful , new trainers soon sorted it out, also bag weights, try and lessen the load if possible, can be quicker to drive with even smaller packets especially if the weathers none too kind

Haha, no worries. But no I'm a healthy weight, but just not used to so much exercise i guess. When i started i was wearing my own hiking boots which i find very comfortable. I was told not to wear the royal mail shoes until my leg has healed, but i have started wearing them for my last 3 shifts since my leg seems to be improving a little.

Yes i think i'll have to watch my bags a little and try not to overfill them.

Thank you :)

Newbie - Advice please

06 Feb 2019, 21:24

If you could afford it, perhaps see a private physio? That way you should be able to get the problem nipped in the bud, sooner, rather than waiting 12+ weeks on nhs physio

Newbie - Advice please

06 Feb 2019, 22:59

I try to twist turn a shade slower to be easier on the joints.

Newbie - Advice please

07 Feb 2019, 17:56

Use a trolley as you are supposed to, you have every reason to do so for your own current problem. Ignore what others say about the use of it. It immediately takes many kilos of load bearing off your body, and leg.

Newbie - Advice please

07 Feb 2019, 18:38

Posties usually seem to cite security reasons mainly as justification for not using an LWT. Since recovering from a small operation on my back I have been using an LWT on the walking part of my rural delivery and have found it very handy. Certainly saves having your back pulled out of line etc by carrying a pouch on your shoulder.

Newbie - Advice please

07 Feb 2019, 20:37

Ive had a similar issues with knee pain before after breaks from working and I put it down to my knee just not being use to the amount of movement on that joint, I mean I was literally limping, but it always eventually just goes away once my knee has adjusted to the amount of movement and pressure on that joint, but if its not improving I would see a doctor. Just keep in mind that resting is not always the best way to make it go away. But make sure you have the right shoes.

Newbie - Advice please

08 Feb 2019, 17:44

redneck wrote:Use a trolley as you are supposed to, you have every reason to do so for your own current problem. Ignore what others say about the use of it. It immediately takes many kilos of load bearing off your body, and leg.

Unfortunately we dont have trolleys as the town is very hilly and all the houses are all up/down steps. I'm hoping to transfer closer to home where its a lot flatter and the loads are lighter!

Newbie - Advice please

08 Feb 2019, 18:47

helloimrae wrote:
redneck wrote:Use a trolley as you are supposed to, you have every reason to do so for your own current problem. Ignore what others say about the use of it. It immediately takes many kilos of load bearing off your body, and leg.

Unfortunately we dont have trolleys as the town is very hilly and all the houses are all up/down steps. I'm hoping to transfer closer to home where its a lot flatter and the loads are lighter!

is there such a place in UK?
mine is 80% flat and chokka and 15% hills and chokka, the other 5% is the cooking of the books to warrant lapsing :left:

joking? aside, footwear and managing loops is the key, if you have a decent partner who knows the regulars they should pull out those known to be out and drive with them

Newbie - Advice please

08 Feb 2019, 19:02

helloimrae wrote:

Surely you can walk between some sets of stairs with a trolley? If it takes too long the walk should be re-evaluated. Carrying will only exacerbate your problems, especially long term

Newbie - Advice please

08 Feb 2019, 22:12

I started a year ago and had similar problems, I’d also previously worked in an office so the shock to my body was horrendous. It does settle down I promise, it took 2-3 months to not feel like my body was falling apart, but I was a bit too heavy and in my 40’s so don’t think that helped either. Don’t try to overdo things and your joints will get used to to it.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2