not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 07:58

Hi All
I have been in pain for about a week and the doctor said it's plantar fasciitis, I have got insoles, doing ice packs, taking ibuprofen, pain killers, doing stretches, but it does not seem to help.
I'm in so much pain,I've had to take sometime off but as I am new I'm so worried and really need to work.
Any tips, advice etc would be great.

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 08:44

Hello. As a fellow sufferer, after putting up with this condition for a year it got so bad that I could hardly walk after completing half the duty. So I went to the GP who referred me for physiotherapy on the NHS which was about 40 mins per session for a total of about 6 sessions. There were two particular exercises which helped so much that if carried out as suggested, alleviate the pain completely. Should you then not complete the exercises as diligently once you feel better,as I didn't!,you can perform these exercises and the pain will reduce significantly almost immediately!!
They are very simple to do and do not take long. My Physio also issued me with a pair of proper insoles which also helped greatly.
Get to your GP . Help is at hand.

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 09:32

what are the exercises please

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 11:53

Not sure if any of this will help? But I had this too because of the job.

The doctor gave me a steroid injection into the sole of the foot where it hurt. I think I had to have 2 or 3. Very painful to have but it worked a treat and totally cured it. I just had to not walk on it much for a couple of days afterwards each time. So I timed the jabs for when I was having a duty free weekend or AL.

In a chit chat with a colleague it came up in conversation as I covered his shift when he was having a physio session for it.
Turned out he'd got the physio and paid time off to attend etc., by going through Royal Mail for it as it was 'because of the job' that caused it . He said that he'd had about 12 physio sessions and it was working.

He did say that doctor's aren't supposed to do the steroid jab anymore, but hey, I was in agony so really glad mine did! My doctor did say it's a common complaint with postmen and it's other name is Policeman's heel syndrome ...because they are prone to it too pounding the beat. Mine never came back again though so I didn't have to pursue it with the Company.

I wish I'd known I could have gone through RM though?! My Manager knew I started having trouble with it. But as usual managers know about this stuff but they don't tell you. Just let you rack up the sick days or mess up your leave!

This old boy knew the system inside out ...I'm afraid you'll have to hope another 'old boy' or someone else in the know on here reads your post and tells you the best way of how you go about going down the 'treatment courtesy of Royal Mail' for it. :wink:

All the best !

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 12:22

There is a special sock you can buy......my wife works in a theatre hospital standing all day.........the sock worked....she does'nt have anymore!

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 13:25

mallard63 wrote:Hello. As a fellow sufferer, after putting up with this condition for a year it got so bad that I could hardly walk after completing half the duty. So I went to the GP who referred me for physiotherapy on the NHS which was about 40 mins per session for a total of about 6 sessions. There were two particular exercises which helped so much that if carried out as suggested, alleviate the pain completely. Should you then not complete the exercises as diligently once you feel better,as I didn't!,you can perform these exercises and the pain will reduce significantly almost immediately!!
They are very simple to do and do not take long. My Physio also issued me with a pair of proper insoles which also helped greatly.
Get to your GP . Help is at hand.

... So whats the exercise? all that text and nothing to try out in the end

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 14:06

Anyone have bother with their knees? Mine seems to be going downhill.. unsure if its to do with footwear or the shear number of miles we do. I have a physio appointment next week, hope to get some answers. The pain around my knee caps and the back of my thighs kept me awake all night last night.

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 16:04

Found this helped me freeze a bottle of water then roll it under the ankle/heel for as long as u can max 20 mins a day

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 16:15

Stretching or massaging the plantar fascia before standing up can often reduce heel pain.
Stretch your foot by flexing it up and down 10 times before standing.
Do toe stretches to stretch the plantar fascia.
Use a towel to stretch the bottom of your foot (towel stretch).

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 16:20

Roll your sole nover a golf ball, works great

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 17:22

Stand on the first step of your stairs, right on the edge on tiptoe. Lower your heels down below the level of the step. Hold and bounce a little bit. Raise back up and repeat.

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 20:15

I rolled a ball with my foot before getting fully out of bed then stretch the calves leaning against the wall then onto the stairs and more stretches about 10 or 12 then into the kitchen and take some naproxen then pop on the foot angel and you're good to go https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foot-Angel-Fatigue-Compression-Sleeve/dp/B015UOY4CA

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 21:10

Biker Mouse wrote:Stand on the first step of your stairs, right on the edge on tiptoe. Lower your heels down below the level of the step. Hold and bounce a little bit. Raise back up and repeat.

Great exercise works well for me :thumbup

plantar fasciitis

05 Feb 2019, 21:39

NHS made to measure special insoles the only thing that worked for me, after shop bought insoles, 6 months pain,loads physio nothing worked.

tunred out one leg was 9mm longer than the other, if left untreated I would have ended up with dodgy knees and hip aswell,

plantar fasciitis

07 Feb 2019, 10:43

GoingPostal86 wrote:Anyone have bother with their knees? Mine seems to be going downhill.. unsure if its to do with footwear or the shear number of miles we do. I have a physio appointment next week, hope to get some answers. The pain around my knee caps and the back of my thighs kept me awake all night last night.

Yes, I was having severe pain in the back of my knee. So much so it was keeping me awake most nights. Went to the doctor and he checked my feet, the arches of my feet had completely collapsed. Referred me to podiatrist and said to buy insoles in the mean time. The pain almost immediately went away with the insoles!

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2