not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Day off/working Saturdays

09 Jan 2019, 18:12

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I started 8 weeks ago and my day off is Tuesday every week yet my understanding was when I applied for this job it was rotational days off with 1 in 6 saturdays off?

Will this change after probation or have i to just suck it up?

09 Jan 2019, 18:21

There taking the Pi** you should have rotating day off- tuesday this week wednesday next and so on. Get onto your rep about it

09 Jan 2019, 18:24

Keep a record of what you work, then insist on 1 in 6 Saturdays off. To which you're entitled.

P.S. you'll find that everything in RM is a fight, if you stay quiet you'll never get any Saturdays off, if you consistently moan like s**t, you will.

09 Jan 2019, 20:40

You get Tuesday because it's easier for them to cover duties; it's the lightest day of the week so they lapse walks. You need to look at your contract, from what I recall they have rewritten them so you're not entitled to Saturdays. I know our office offers thirty hour contracts to new starters on the basis you agree to work Sundays.

10 Jan 2019, 19:17

They still mention a rotational day off in job adverts so there must be some recourse to actually achieving it?

11 Jan 2019, 15:38

Murdoch wrote:Keep a record of what you work, then insist on 1 in 6 Saturdays off. To which you're entitled.

P.S. you'll find that everything in RM is a fight, if you stay quiet you'll never get any Saturdays off, if you consistently moan like s**t, you will.

Exactly this.

They're relying on you being too worried about your probation period to say anything, for fear of rocking the boat. The same as they hope you'll come in early for free like others do, not have a break and go over your time every day to finish. We were all the same at one point. Some remain it like it, but if you can stick up for yourself and let them know you are not one of the ones they can take this piss out of then it will be a turning point for you and the job will become so much easier overnight.

It shouldn't be, but working for Royal Mail is a war of attrition a lot of the time and a mental battle of wits. If you let them roll you over a barrel they'll just get the next one ready, but if you can say 'um, hang on, I don't think this is right or fair' they'll leave you alone for an easier target. At the end of the day the manager's are just passing down the s**t they get from above in order to get through the day. Us posties don't have anyone below us to pass that s**t down to, so we have two choices:

1. Stand there with that s**t dripping onto our shoulders. Or,

2. Start boomeranging that s**t back.

Managers don't like that s**t being flung back at them, so they'll stop passing it onto you and pass it elsewhere.

Moral of the story. Become a s**t boomerang and go get your Saturday off.

Good luck :thumbup

11 Jan 2019, 18:02

You're also getting the, I assume in your office, the shortest day of the week as a day off.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1