not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

PDA Route Optimisation and Planning update

04 Dec 2018, 21:54

After the last PDA update there are now 2 options and the new one, if I remember correctly, is called Route Optimisation and Planning. From a quick look it seems to be similar to what other parcel delivery companies use to let the driver know what packet is next and where to go but no-one in our office knows anything about it. Would have thought it was ideal for all the Xmas packet drivers to use seeing as lots of them have never done this type of work before and are wasting time writing all their packets down.

04 Dec 2018, 22:03

I imagine the main complication not faced by other companies using this or similar is the number of services we have and a lack of uniformity; the lack of scannable barcodes on some, whether the address is stored in that barcode and how the data integrates with the PDA software if indeed it is there.

The long arsed way around it is to manually input the addresses. Not necessarily bad work if you prefer indoor to outdoor.

04 Dec 2018, 22:11

It’s mainly used for LAT drivers who are going “out of area” to places they don’t know.

04 Dec 2018, 22:13

That’s the first tip toe towards planning and tracking the entire day of all delivery staff, indoor and outdoor.

04 Dec 2018, 22:15

LaggyBand wrote:That’s the first tip toe towards planning and tracking the entire day of all delivery staff, indoor and outdoor.

No it isn’t

04 Dec 2018, 22:21

number one wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:That’s the first tip toe towards planning and tracking the entire day of all delivery staff, indoor and outdoor.

No it isn’t

I reckon I’m right.

04 Dec 2018, 22:24

LaggyBand wrote:
number one wrote:

No it isn’t

I reckon I’m right.

Obviously because you wrote it, doesn’t mean you are though

04 Dec 2018, 22:29

number one wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:
number one wrote:

No it isn’t

I reckon I’m right.

If there is more planning done for you via PDA in say, two years’ time, I’ll take that as an indication that I was objectively correct..

04 Dec 2018, 22:31

Hitcher wrote:After the last PDA update there are now 2 options and the new one, if I remember correctly, is called Route Optimisation and Planning. From a quick look it seems to be similar to what other parcel delivery companies use to let the driver know what packet is next and where to go but no-one in our office knows anything about it. Would have thought it was ideal for all the Xmas packet drivers to use seeing as lots of them have never done this type of work before and are wasting time writing all their packets down.

It seems to work ok for smaller amounts of parcels or in unknown areas. I prefer the old fashioned way of writing it down for the areas I am familiar with. You need items with the 2D barcodes to be able to scan in or you need to enter the details manually.

05 Dec 2018, 06:55

I reckon that within 2-3 years we'll see EVERY packet have a 2D barcode

05 Dec 2018, 09:59

I tried the PDA app for the first time yesterday, out of curiosity for a mixture of LAT and normal parcels. There is an option for inputting an address manually for a standard parcel with no barcode, but when I tried it, as far as I could tell, it insisted on a full tracking number to add it to the itinerary. Is there any way around this? Can you put input (or better still scan) a dummy tracking number to be able to input addresses for items with no 1D or 2D barcodes?

05 Dec 2018, 11:59

we use it in our office extensively -it is very straight forward to use and yes you can use a dummy tracking number if necessary .Since training a lot of my colleagues they now use it all the time especially those who do a lot of packets and are new to the area/duty however its not perfect and there are a few issues
1. its not 100% accurate in locating the exact address especially named houses but if you don't know the area it will take you to within 20metres (I still get a few phone calls for the location of rural addresses )
2.unlike routes for collections it doesn't remove the item from the list once delivered -to do this you need to swipe address on the screen to the right and it will come up ATTENDED and move you to the next address
3.its useless for new builds -if its not on google maps then forget it
4.not really intended for run off the mill delivery duties

What I will l say is its a work in progress but its a step in the right direction especially for packet /T24 duties -use it and make your own mind up but we like it

05 Dec 2018, 14:43

number one wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:
number one wrote:

No it isn’t

I reckon I’m right.

As they are trying to bring in delivery windows I reckon you are as well

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=76277

05 Dec 2018, 17:09

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
number one wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:
number one wrote:

No it isn’t

I reckon I’m right.

As they are trying to bring in delivery windows I reckon you are as well

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=76277

They already have a delivery window in place

05 Dec 2018, 17:32

I delivered a parcel at 1.30pm she the women answered the door she said she had a delivery window between 3-5. :hmmmm

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2