not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

TPO

22 Oct 2018, 16:03

Just watched the old programme about the travelling post office,now that did take some managing in its time,very interesting,anyone worked on them?,do we still have them in any shape or form?

TPO

22 Oct 2018, 18:57

They've gone (around 2003 i believe is when they got axed). There's a preserved railway (think it's the Grand Central) has demonstrations using ex TPO sorting coaches.

Here's one program that shows them in action: https://youtu.be/0UIKha7laMU?t=382

Also have a look out for a DVD called "Special Delivery" which follows what was the Penzance-Bristol (and return) TPO

TPO

22 Oct 2018, 20:59

Our office is by a train line, one of the old ladys in our office said she did a period of nights back in the day which was basically sorting on the night trains. Back in the 80's this was so she tells me.

TPO

23 Oct 2018, 14:23

I worked on one of the London TPOs ( Reserve) from 1995 - 1998.
I had a great time overall my best period in Royal Mail.

I throughly believe the end of the trains and the 2nd Deliveries was the transformation of RM from being a publiic service to a business.

TPO

23 Oct 2018, 15:17

They still have about 12 TPOs on the rail network although they are mostly unmanned parcel vans, and the staff (very few) are employed by EWS railway. They are not scheduled TPOs but are used on an as required basis, for example the Christmas pressure or when the road network is shagged and a lot of failures are in the pipeline. Not that they give a toss about that anymore. When I first started about 1991 the whole office HAD to be cleared o matter what and the link would go along a 'll the frames making sure that only shuts ect were the only letters left. That was a service not a business.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1