not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Left handed

16 Oct 2018, 14:40

Blaine wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.

It’s a real pain.

Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.

Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner

I hold the bundle in my right hand with the addresses facing to the left (but can still read them obviously) rather than directly at me, then use the left hand to put them in the frame by grabbing the letter at the top end nearest to me. No flipping required and no slower than any right-hander. It was a bit awkward at first because but actually is really easy to do once you're used to it.

Left handed

16 Oct 2018, 14:40

I do exactly the same

Left handed

16 Oct 2018, 16:28

Ringer21 wrote:Worked for Royal Mail for 20 years I'm left handed never been a problem now the new manager is telling me I should be quicker throwing my trays in and to start using my right hand it takes me a out 13 mins to throw a full tray in any suggestions

Ignore him, he's a twat.

Left handed

16 Oct 2018, 16:42

We used to have someone who was left handed in our office but it never really bothered anyone. We just noticed that the mail he sorted on the IPS would be the other way around but you just turn it around. It's really ignorant for a DOM to tell a left handed postie to use their right hand instead. I would just ignore them.

Left handed

20 Oct 2018, 20:12

I am left handed and certainly not ambiguous-dextrous although I am lucky as I sort IPS etc holding the bundle in my left hand and sorting with my right hand, also the same on delivery, I tried it the other way and couldn't deliver lol, but I have seen my left handed colleague flipping them over and he has one of the fastest sort rates in the office, honestly he is well ahead after IPS and is often on his packets while I am still sorting my flats and packets, it can be done, but yes no manager should be telling you to use your right hand, what a twatt sorry for the french lol

Left handed

22 Oct 2018, 11:21

Im left handed but I fill the frame right handed . TBH it took a few months to get some speed but im the same speed as right handers now . incidentally left handers tend to be quicker on their feet as most walks are on the left side of the street so if there are no drive ways a left hander doesn't have to rotate their body at every letter box like a right hander does . It makes a big difference in flats too . Low numbers start at the left normally . A right hander would have to walk backwards to be as quick as a left hander :dance .

Left handed

14 May 2020, 14:12

Do Royal Mail still employ left handers?

Left handed

14 May 2020, 16:41

I sort with my right hand but post with my left hand. I am right handed i nevrything else , just strange why i post with my left hand.

Left handed

15 May 2020, 02:44

anthonyok wrote:I sort with my right hand but post with my left hand. I am right handed i nevrything else , just strange why i post with my left hand.

I’m the exact same. Never thought any different till a few van share partners ask why I hold the bundle in my right hand and post with my left. Don’t know if it’s possible to develop being ambidextrous but I’m getting there!

Left handed

15 May 2020, 06:48

HTPostman wrote:
anthonyok wrote:I sort with my right hand but post with my left hand. I am right handed i nevrything else , just strange why i post with my left hand.

I’m the exact same. Never thought any different till a few van share partners ask why I hold the bundle in my right hand and post with my left. Don’t know if it’s possible to develop being ambidextrous but I’m getting there!

I'm the same as well, hold bundle with my right hand, post with my left, yet I am VERY right handed with everything else I can think of. I can only think that because my right arm is stronger, it's better to use this to support a heavy bundle. I've tried swapping hands, but it just doesn't feel right.

Left handed

15 May 2020, 14:53

I write with my left hand. But I just throw in with my right hand cause it's easier. I'd never really considered that it might feel weird for people that do everything left-handed. I think I've developed a certain level of ambidextrousness because almost everything is setup for right-handers.

I can post mail with either to be honest, neither feels uncomfortable. But mostly it's setup with houses on your right hand side, so I just use my right.

Left handed

16 May 2020, 07:37

Ringer21 wrote:Worked for Royal Mail for 20 years I'm left handed never been a problem now the new manager is telling me I should be quicker throwing my trays in and to start using my right hand it takes me a out 13 mins to throw a full tray in any suggestions

sounds a bit sinister this
i'm right handed but left footed, this explains why i'm quick out of the office and last back :left:

tell the manager to put his request on a hand written letter using his left hand, then pass it around the office for all to have a laugh at

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2