not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Worldwide Mental health day

10 Oct 2018, 21:03

I honestly don't think there should be a mental health day. People need to be welcoming of mental health on any day of the year. I personally have mental health illnesses.

You're not any less of a person if you seek help, talk to someone, gp etc or a colleague or family member. If you see someone struggling out and about on delivery or look worried I'm their own thoughts, stop and ask them if they're okay. You could save their life. Ask them about anything. You don't have to be trained in it. If you've ever been really low to the point where you want to end it? Then you'll understand what I mean, but if you don't you can help someone.

Some numbers for you all:

Feeling first class: 0800-6888777

Samaritans: 116123 - there is a mobile number but they're trialling it.

Your GP! If you are feeling suicidal, make sure you tell them that. Try not to go to A&E if you can help it.

SANEline - 0300 304 7000 4.30pm – 10.30pm daily. The following does help if you're feeling isolated... http://www.sane.org.uk/what_we_do/support/textcare it's quite a nice touch. I've had it before.

Time to Change General:
Email: info@time-to-change.org.uk
Tel: 020 8215 2356

Article about suicide: https://qz.com/1184514/i-jumped-off-the ... ed-me/amp/

One key paragraph in this article:

If someone had intervened that day, things would have absolutely been different. Due to my psychosis on that day, I could not say aloud “I need help now.” Yet, I desperately wanted someone to say to me, “Are you OK? Is something wrong?” or “Can I help you?”

Had any one of the hundreds of passersby engaged with me, it would have given me permission to share my darkness, and potentially have showed me that I had the ability on that day to choose life.

To those who say man up, lighten up or pull yourself together need to buck their ideas up!

If anyone ever wants a chat, PM me and I'll get back to you.

12 Oct 2018, 13:11

I don't believe the early part of the day (indoors in the DO) is a very healthy environment for anyone with any mental health issues. Most of posts on here talk about B&H not only from Management, but also from fellow Posties FFS! :no no The whole work ethos of Royal Mail seems to be Pressure... Pressure...Pressure. The introduction of the SSW hasn't helped in this respect. This culture is not healthy if you are not mentally strong. Too many Dickheads on here keep saying "Man Up" and "Grow a Pair" but some people aren't able to do that.

A while back one of our girls was in a right state because the DOM had made some changes within the DO. He wanted to lapse her duty, and move her around. She was only PT, and had was a carer for her parents, so she did have serious timing issues. We ended up sorting it out in the yard, when she was loading her van, because she felt unable to talk to anyone inside the DO. Simply a case of suggesting she discuss it with A) The DOM... B) The Unit CWU Rep... and then C) Area Delivery Rep if no joy. Because she thought she just had to "Do as she was told" she was on the point of jacking over this. We all know how crap our Management system is, I personally wouldn't trust them to try and sort out any major problems I may have. :shock: It does make you wonder how many Posties have simply walked out the door because of the insensative way they've been treated? :cuppa

12 Oct 2018, 13:34

It's a bad job to be in if you have mental health issues with all the harassment and bullying by royal mail management. I personally have mental health problems made much worse by management bullying. Been off sick with it and got harassed on a daily basis by Dom when I was trying to get better and back to work. I reported him to the union and also the bullying and harassment help line. Who with the unions help put a stop to the bullying and harassment. Thank God I no longer work for this company.

12 Oct 2018, 13:59

Once you're out of the door it's got to be one of the best jobs to have? :hmmmm Mostly working by yourself (even on a van share you get loops on your own) which suits me fine.... Out in the Fresh air, and even if it's raining it's not that bad..... opportunity to have a chat with a few Regulars...... Plenty of excercise (good for Depression/Anxiety) :thumbup

It's mainly those first 2-3 hours inside that stress me out the most. DOMs can be managed, especially if you visit RMC because they give you the info to fight their incompetance i.e Lapsing IS NOT compulsory.... If I haven't got the time to do it within my duty time I DO NOT have to take it. :thumbup

Fellow Posties I find more difficult to deal with, possibly because some think they are actually Manager's, some are totally blind to the fact that they have an "Easy" Duty but insist it's the hardest in the offfice, others have some weird filter that makes them believe they are the hardest working Postie in the place.... whilst standing next to their mates frame, drinking Tea, chatting and slagging everyone else down for NOT working hard enough FFS :mad I try and deal with these Dickheads by listening to my Radio via earplugs ... AND TOTALLY IGNORING THEM..... unfortunately some are so loud I can still hear their Verbal Diarrhea over my radio :arrrghhh "The Labels on the boxex are wrong AGAIN"....... "Who keeps giving me Mis-sorts"...... "I don't deliver to this address"...... "I'm going to have to cut off to deliver this Special"........"Whose parked their van in MY space" etc etc :cuppa

12 Oct 2018, 14:36

Dorset plodder your correct indoor work shite outdoor work was great except on a rainy day. I'm still glad I ain't there anymore.

12 Oct 2018, 15:59

I can relate to a lot of what Dorset Plodder says. The indoor work element is a lot worse now because of Indoor Work Plans and performance driven targets led by DOMs to their respective management teams. The SWW certainly hasn't helped and what it creates is a toxic indoor working environment. Fellow posties looking after their own by prepping their own duties instead of doing any extra IPS, for example, or criticising/moaning about other posties and their workloads/duties. Managers tend to avoid them like the plague as they don't want any confrontation and so a lot of the old school tend to get away with murder.

The problems associated with mental health in Royal Mail is that they bend over backwards for just that week just to highlight how important it is for Royal Mail's tick box exercise.

12 Oct 2018, 19:12

postslippete wrote:I can relate to a lot of what Dorset Plodder says. The indoor work element is a lot worse now because of Indoor Work Plans and performance driven targets led by DOMs to their respective management teams. The SWW certainly hasn't helped and what it creates is a toxic indoor working environment. Fellow posties looking after their own by prepping their own duties instead of doing any extra IPS, for example, or criticising/moaning about other posties and their workloads/duties. Managers tend to avoid them like the plague as they don't want any confrontation and so a lot of the old school tend to get away with murder.

The problems associated with mental health in Royal Mail is that they bend over backwards for just that week just to highlight how important it is for Royal Mail's tick box exercise.

Very true PSP. However I believe that should be the largest part of any Manager's job..... resolving conflicts & solving problems. In RM I'm sure they just think all they've got to do is try and hide until everyone's gone out and then make sure they've sent in all the correct reports.... with all the correct boxes ticked. :hmmmm

When a particularly gobby old sweat was sounding off at the DOM (behind his back) I mentioned to my colleague, "So what do you think he really intends to do? Are you telling me he's going to actually twat him one"? If anyone did that they'd be immediately suspended, and end up with the sack. They'd also face Criminal charges of assault. :arrrghhh If Managers focused on a "Worse Case Scenario" then everything else is just negotiation. How they let themselves be blackmailed into compromises is ridiculous. They'll let someone get away with not working properly because they threaten not to work their day off, someone else says they'll Cut Off if they have to do IPS. I'm not a Company Man but some DOMS really need to be sent on some "Decent" Management Training courses to learn how to handle these situations. These should also cover dealing with Mental Heatlh issues within the workplace. As for those DOMs that like to run things according to the H&B handbook.... they need to be busted back to Posties. :cuppa

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1