not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Taken off duty update

10 Oct 2018, 20:56

Hi, currently on sick leave , work related stress , as I was told my line manager , due to 2 customer complaints , I was no longer to perform customer facing duties !!!
37 years in this job and I was asked to do a clerical job in callers office , manager said it is moving to conduct , my point is I should remain on duty until conduct is activated . Rep says I shud " suck it up " until whenever conduct commences .Dont were to go with this , any suggestions ?

Taken off duty update

10 Oct 2018, 21:01

Surely depends on what the complaints are, could be anything from misdeliveries to indecent exposure (not trying to make light of it)

Taken off duty update

10 Oct 2018, 23:17

Obviously would depend on severity of the complaints but you should not have been taken off delivery unless a very serious issue. Your rep sounds useless! Surely working in the callers office is customer facing anyway so that makes no sense!

Taken off duty update

11 Oct 2018, 05:59

What is callers office if it’s not customer facing unfortunately in Royal Mail you are guilty until proven innocent stand by your guns and insist put on your duty until outcome of conduct gd luck

Taken off duty update

11 Oct 2018, 08:57

One complaint related to s conversation with a customer in January / February 2018 , the other regarding a firm with no letter box ,
Both individuals claim I was abusibe to them .
Lies !!! ,One customer agreived because I left p739s as her intercom wasn't working then decided to complain about conversation back in January 2018.
Manager states " I am common denominator " in all these complaints and HR have advised to remove from customer facing duties !

Taken off duty update

11 Oct 2018, 14:54

Sorry for this but yes Royal Mail can remove you from your duty while they carry out a conduct review. It's not an indication of guilt but is seen as a reasonable response to a Customer complaint.

To be absolutely frank Royal Mail had 3 possible choices.

1. Suspend you on full pay.
2. Move you from your duty to another one.
3. Move you from your duty to an indoor task - (this is the one they chose)

Of course, they could have left you on the duty, but with 2 complaints against you (whether true or not) this would be unlikely.

Now in extreme cases, they can summarily dismiss people with immediate effect if they reasonably believe that what you did falls under the term "Gross Misconduct". From what you posted this appear not to be an option they considered.

In essence, although you don't like the outcome, it is probably the least bad option for both you and RM.

Taken off duty update

11 Oct 2018, 16:57

Ciderboy1957 wrote:Hi, currently on sick leave , work related stress , as I was told my line manager , due to 2 customer complaints , I was no longer to perform customer facing duties !!!
37 years in this job and I was asked to do a clerical job in callers office , manager said it is moving to conduct , my point is I should remain on duty until conduct is activated . Rep says I shud " suck it up " until whenever conduct commences .Dont were to go with this , any suggestions ?

Well to remove you from your walk duty where the greater percentage is placing mail through home letter boxes and you are then placed in the callers office where you will have more face to face contact with customers as this is RM logic that you no longer perform customer facing duties due to two complaints from customers on your walk. Totally defies logic or common sense.
If it moves to a conduct issue you request to receive the written copies of the customers complaint so that they can be challenged that is your entitlement.
The action they have taken by placing you in an environment that increases customer contact makes the original complaints look frivolous and your union rep while representing you at the disciplinary meeting needs to make this point clear to the interviewer.
You can also enquire of your manager that these 2 customers be removed from your delivery to safeguard yourself and you be returned to your walk.

Taken off duty update

11 Oct 2018, 17:08

Actually he says he does a clerical job in the office.
Booking in would be such a task and doesn't involve any customer facing stuff.

Taken off duty update

11 Oct 2018, 20:08

News to me Trueblue ! Will effect a wages as I hold 2 portions of SA , one in callers office and one on collection ! As usual Royal mail take customers " word " over employee . No wittiness to these accusations but hey ho the " cooperate logo/ image as been tarnished so assume employee is blameworthy before any investigation !

Taken off duty update

12 Oct 2018, 18:21

How can 2 complaints override the 37 years good (I presume) service?

Taken off duty update

13 Oct 2018, 07:36

Of course I have had complaints beforehand b, the usual we all get from time to time !But this individual is claiming I was rude to her/ him back in January 2018 , all because I left p739 in their firms letter box as they didn't answer their intercom and had to travel to callers office to collect items , sour grapes imo, the other incident was a firm " insisting I deliver mail to a member of staff each day and not leave it unattended at their reception.

Taken off duty update

13 Oct 2018, 07:38

So line manager says it is me who is " common denominator " in these complaints , hence removal from duty !

Taken off duty update

13 Oct 2018, 14:00

scoobydo79 wrote:How can 2 complaints override the 37 years good (I presume) service?

It doesn't.

Ciderboy1957 wrote:News to me Trueblue ! Will effect a wages as I hold 2 portions of SA , one in callers office and one on collection ! As usual Royal mail take customers " word " over employee . No wittiness to these accusations but hey ho the " cooperate logo/ image as been tarnished so assume employee is blameworthy before any investigation !

I can understand your frustration and before I started being a moderator on here which meant I had to have a least a basic understanding of employment law I would have agreed with you, and to some extent I still do.

However, part of your rights after the investigation is complete is that you can go to a tribunal if you disagree with the outcome. The ET will look at Royal Mails actions through the lens of "What would a reasonable employer do, given the information reasonably available to them" that's why I gave the answer I did you can disagree with it if you want and think its unfair, (which on the face of it it is), however as its a case of your word against them most ETs would see this action by RM as "reasonable". The ET to be blunt wouldn't even consider the length of your service for a case like this, as in their opinion it would have no bearing on the "reasonableness of RM actions.

I hope you understand I do not agree with their actions, I am just trying to explain how a 3rd party would view it if the case carried on to a Tribunal.

Taken off duty update

14 Oct 2018, 15:46

Appreciate your input trueblue but any investigation is based on facts not heresay dating back some 8/9 months nor previous complaints which went nowhere and no penalty was issued , Corporate image is tarnished !!!!! So punish opg before eststabsling facts .

Taken off duty update

14 Oct 2018, 19:59

I think the point is a tribunal doesn’t prescribe what RM should have done with you; they simply decide whether what they actually did was “reasonable” in the circumstances.

So there’s like a spectrum of actions that could be taken; the one taken doesn’t necessarily have to be the best in hindsight, rather it need only fall within the margins of what would be deemed reasonable.

In my view it’s deliberately loose so it can be worked out either way, in most cases...

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1