not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Van fleet

12 Sep 2018, 22:48

When do Royal Mail change the vans? Is it an age thing, miles or what?

I'd estimate there's about 60 vehicles based at our office, 80% of which are still the Combos I reckon. Most are around 10 or 11 plates off the top of my head. Some are in a terrible state, but probably worse they're not upto the job anymore. They are simply too small for paired walks, most of which the walks in my office are. There's been any number of times I've left stuff coz I literally can't fit anymore in!

I have driven past offices before now and by the looks of it every one of theirs have been upgraded to the Peugeot's, which are far better. They're taller and wider making it far easier to fit everything in and to work out the back of. Are they phasing the Combos out?

Van fleet

13 Sep 2018, 16:12

I think you’ll find the combos will becreplaced by the Peugeot vans,which are nice but too big for our small yard and so they get dents and scratches even before they go out on delivery,and we have a few fiats which have to be the worst vans we’ve ever had with there stop start re generate stuff,in general the fleet is poor spending too much time at workshops who are already over worked,I try to keep my van clean and tidy but others not so keen when they use it,we don’t have van shares where we are,so our vans could be a bit smaller,but that’s the least of our worries I guess,the ford connect was the best or the old Bedford vans,those were the days.mmmm

Van fleet

13 Sep 2018, 16:51

Its based on the age of the van. I think our DOM told me the number of years old a van is before it is replaced has been increased three times so far. Once the year for your van to be replaced arrives they go through the Vans in the alphabetical order of the numberplates.
The Fiat Vans are the worst to have with that cleaning out the carbon from the engine etc. The gearbox on the Peugeot Bipper freezes solid when it gets very frosty and you have to wait for the engine to warm up. Our DOM wants to get the ' Trek' vans(Don't know offhand which make of van that is.) Because the suspension is higher etc and they are better for rural deliveries. Not sure if we can specify which vans we receive though.

Van fleet

13 Sep 2018, 17:01

Celgar wrote:Its based on the age of the van. I think our DOM told me the number of years old a van is before it is replaced has been increased three times so far. Once the year for your van to be replaced arrives they go through the Vans in the alphabetical order of the numberplates.
The Fiat Vans are the worst to have with that cleaning out the carbon from the engine etc. The gearbox on the Peugeot Bipper freezes solid when it gets very frosty and you have to wait for the engine to warm up. Our DOM wants to get the ' Trek' vans(Don't know offhand which make of van that is.) Because the suspension is higher etc and they are better for rural deliveries. Not sure if we can specify which vans we receive though.

The trek van is a higher Peugeot partner we have one nice but again too big for our yard and for what we need,a one size fits all again system,we really should say if the van is not up to standard with defects etc we simply shouldn’t drive it

Van fleet

13 Sep 2018, 19:49

I've heard we are changing over to VW Caddys soon.

Van fleet

13 Sep 2018, 22:21

The Fiat vans are undoubtedly the biggest pieces of junk I've ever had the misfortune of driving. I took one on a collection once; with a load in I was doing 40 in a 60 flat out. There was literally caravans over taking me. I suggested to our dom we should change it for something more useful, like a bus pass or a push bike.

Van fleet

14 Sep 2018, 00:40

The Peugeot's are trash. Some annoying woman telling me to ensure the handbrake is fully applied every 5 mins, and the constant beeping if you go round a corner at 10 MPH. Give me my old Vauxhall back any time

Van fleet

14 Sep 2018, 09:08

Gotta gree about the fiats.Worst rm van ive had to drive in 35 years

Stupid dpf filter cleaning,totally gutless 1.3 litre engine which is actually
less economical than the bigger 1.6 ltr version
Suspension fit for a smooth road.cant hack rurals
Brakes crap.and mines just gone onto its third gearbox at 65k.2 others in a near office needed
new gearboxes at 30k

App new Ford Transit connects on the way but not for my office

Smiffy

Van fleet

14 Sep 2018, 14:27

1984 wrote:The Peugeot's are trash. Some annoying woman telling me to ensure the handbrake is fully applied every 5 mins, and the constant beeping if you go round a corner at 10 MPH. Give me my old Vauxhall back any time

The beeping is trimble. They're a nightmare whatever van they're in!

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1