not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 06:56

Got a stomach bug and has to call in sick for the first time today.

I'm a part timer and start at 9am, called in at 7.45 and got told off by the manager as I was supposed to call in at 6.30am. I told her I don't get up til 7.30 on days I work but she says its 'standard procedure' so she can cover my walk.

Is she right here?

Am I really supposed to wake up 1 hour early if I'm sick so I can call in? This seems bizarre, do I set an alarm for 6.30am everyday to check if I'm ill?

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 07:22

She's talking out of her backside , it says in the agreement to ring in before your shift starts , that's what you did. This is typical of RM bad and incompetent management. Don't worry about it you did the correct procedure. Don't go back until your fully fit . It's all tactics to pressurise you into not going sick or going back to early.

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 08:03

All you have to do is phone in “as soon as you realise you are not well enough to attend work”

She’s just naft off because this means she has actually got to do some work and cover your duty. Get well soon.

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 12:09

Thanks guys. I really hate missing work for anything and this made me feel twice as bad.

The first thing she asked when I said I couldn't come in was 'Did you know this morning?'

There I was thinking 7.45am was morning!

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 13:34

I left royal mail 2yrs ago after 25yrs. I couldn't even address them as managers before i left. Make sure you only go back when 100% fit as they love separate illnesses when staff yield to pathetic bullying tactics..

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 13:40

Must Attempt to call in before duty start time if you are able that is all you need to do!

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 14:34

Yet another example of so called management living in la la land,yes she’s just got stroppy cos she has to manage a situation and come up with a plan to justify her job,it’s laughable yet again the stuff they come out with,I’d have done the same,what else could you have done,certainly don’t be a hero for this company,they will shaft you big time,

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 15:40

Next time phone in at 8:55 and tell her to do one. :chuckle

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 16:53

Your manager is lucky that you phoned her in advance notifying you are sick.
You could have went to work and signed on then minutes later told her you were unwell and going home that would have really pissed her off.

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 18:01

If you know you are not going to work letting the manager know asap is just the right thing to do it also helps fellow workers who may want to work their rest day.

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 18:35

rehabron wrote:Your manager is lucky that you phoned her in advance notifying you are sick.
You could have went to work and signed on then minutes later told her you were unwell and going home that would have really pissed her off.

Did this last Christmas when I had pleurisy. Hadn’t been around a year yet so no sick pay and needed money. I had a coughing fit and almost collapsed 30 minutes into my prep. Managers were not happy, despite the fact i was in tremendous pain and struggling to breath, mo offer of help at all, just ‘call us tomorrow and let us know’

Calling in sick at 6.30?

12 Sep 2018, 22:23

It’s intimidation which is a form of bullying. Stick a grievance in

Calling in sick at 6.30?

13 Sep 2018, 07:12

Jpro747 wrote:It’s intimidation which is a form of bullying. Stick a grievance in

No it isn’t.

Calling in sick at 6.30?

13 Sep 2018, 08:49

Instead of being told 'I hope you feel better soon', you get told off!!! just about sums RM up.

makes me laugh when managers want to know if you'll be in the next day after calling in ill with a genuine virus, in most cases most genuinely sick people will not no if they are well enough to return to work until the following day

I think is disgusting that nowadays hard working honest people are made to feel guilty when they are sick. its tragic.

Calling in sick at 6.30?

13 Sep 2018, 15:01

Every time I'm on sick I make sure the union rep is on speed dial on my phone. Every time a manager get funny with me while I'm off I give the rep a little call and if suddenly goes quite on the managers end. :left:

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2