ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Random question about monopoly

05 Aug 2018, 15:26

Ha..something I've been wondering
Not sure if this is a local thing but our mail fittings have each street labelled in a different colour, reds, blues,yellows, blacks etc.

Is a monopoly board copied off this idea or the other way round? Or just a coincidence.

Sorry, geeky question.

05 Aug 2018, 15:31

Every Friday I collect my £200

05 Aug 2018, 15:55

Lucky you ha

05 Aug 2018, 17:28

sheepy19 wrote:Ha..something I've been wondering
Not sure if this is a local thing but our mail fittings have each street labelled in a different colour, reds, blues,yellows, blacks etc.

Is a monopoly board copied off this idea or the other way round? Or just a coincidence.

Sorry, geeky question.

I think Royal Mail's been around longer that the Monopoly Game. :thumbup Probably just a simple system to try and differentiate between roads. Although it often seems to beyond the capability of some planners who still manage to put two similiar colours next to each other when they're trying to sort the A-Plus! :d'oh! I once worked in an Nearby Office, as Holiday cover, and the frame had NO colours on it at all. When I asked why they said, "The Regular Postie is colour blind"! :shock: No idea why that should make a difference. :cuppa

05 Aug 2018, 17:56

When I started, and my frame still is - black text on white background. I think that was the norm.

The colour coding came in IIRC with P&L, and sequencing mainly I think to make it easier to differentiate streets for people who don't regularly prep those duties.

05 Aug 2018, 19:34

Ours are old school, black text on an all yellow background, with loads of bits hand written.

And people on here tell us to “simply check the 318”...

05 Aug 2018, 20:23

So do yous reckon they are they both using the same idea but not copying each other directly?

05 Aug 2018, 22:17

It's random. I print out labels and it depends on how quick they're needed. If it's a rush they'll be black and white and if I've got time I'll send them away to be colour printed. The colours are decided by whoever prints the labels.

05 Aug 2018, 22:50

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:The colour coding came in IIRC with P&L, and sequencing mainly I think to make it easier to differentiate streets for people who don't regularly prep those duties.

I can only speak for my office since I've never worked in another unit, but coloured street labels have always been present since I joined in 2007. The only walks I've seen with plain black and white printing are from the rushed resequencing of the walk. It does help with manual sorting since picking out a block of colour is faster than scanning along each row for the street name.

06 Aug 2018, 21:06

Aye, only the Rep has a "Get out of Lapsing Free" card

06 Aug 2018, 22:08

postslippete wrote:Aye, only the Rep has a "Get out of Lapsing Free" card
Ha Ha Very Good :Applause I remember some of those "OLD SCHOOL" frames with bits of fag packets stuck on the frame with a few numbers pencilled on them, and whole roads handwritten on pieces of masking tape! :crazy: I think we've made SOME progress. :cuppa

07 Aug 2018, 05:40

The colours are a relatively new thing since the introduction of the RM2000 frame. Before that we had box frames where most of the time you would street sort first then put the street in order.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1