not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Being driven to insanity by bullying & unscrupulous management

05 Aug 2018, 13:28

Good afternoon,

I am writing this as a final attempt at sorting out what has become an unbearable mental strain. Before i start yet another ramble in the vain hope i will find some resolution to the problems which are now effectively ruining my life. I have been a postman for the last seven years,all seven of these years i have been treated appallingly by the managers at my place of work.These managers laugh and joke about me with smiles on there faces while undermining me and rubbishing me no matter what the level of my performance.

When i began all those years ago i was told i had to work my way up to get a decent role within the depot i work. Well seven horribly mentally damaging years later ,I find myself at my lowest ebb ever. If im being honest ive even thought about taking my own life (but would never be able to do such a thing even though my life feels worthless after every shift i do).

I am bounced about on a daily basis to all the various delivery offices within a 30 mile radius of where i live/work. I am then threatened with wilful delay when i say i cannot complete a duty I have never done before in an area i am unfamiliar with and with zero help or assistance given by said managers. I often have no contact numbers for managers at the places Im working at so have little way of telling them i can complete etc. Also if ive never worked a duty before I find it unrealistic that I should be able to gauge it on the only day i ll probablevery work it.

The day normally begins with an argument and ends with one. I will arrive at work to see me unassigned to a duty and listed as spare. At my place seniority takes second place to managers favourites and whatever makes it easier for them. My own complaints fall on deaf ears and even though the majority of my colleagues at postman level are very sympathetic of my plight and virtually all concede i am treated terribly,it just makes me feel even worse. Especially when im then told by my work mates that they'd never go to another office and not to take any crap from management-I just feel most turn a blind eye and that its easier for management to really mess around a few people than do something fairly which would entail more effort for them and ruffle a few more peoples feathers.

The argument will begin something like this.
manager-we need you to go to another office

me-Im not insured to drive and more senior than loads of people? can you not send them as its only fair its shared out.

manager-you are insured to drive stop being awkward we are sending you.

me-im not using my own car then.

they'll then pay me a taxi to go but by the time i get there im way behind and unable to complete as its a new area and no prep work has been done. I believe the managers also tell them im willing to do o/t to complete which is a complete fabrication and brings me full circle to the argument when i bring mail back and am threatened with wilful delay.

Im going to share some more of my issues in due course as there are plenty. REALLY sorry for this unpunctuated mess of a mail but am at my wits end over this and its seriously affecting my mental well being.

Any advice assistance would be gratefully received.

Yours sincerely desperate postie x

05 Aug 2018, 13:35

if you are in the union get your area rep over to your office and have a chat with him, if not a member!! join and do the same thing.

also ring feeling first class ( not got the number to hand but someone here will ) and have a chat with them about the bullying and discrimination going on against you on a daily basis.

you need to do something yourself about what is going on as no one else will by the looks of it. hence asking you to get hold of your area rep )

I hope you get it all resolved and please do contact feeling first class. the will listen and hopefully help you sort it all out.

05 Aug 2018, 13:37

https://www.rmgfirstclasssupport.co.uk

The National Bullying Helpline on 0845 22 55 787

05 Aug 2018, 13:43

remeber if they pay for you to get there, they need to pay for you to return to original place by the time your duty finishes.

say it takes 45 minutes to et there from your own do, you will finish at the other do before your duty time so they can arrange a way for you to get back to finish on time at your normal office.

dont under any circumstances bend or yield to there bully tactics.

my thoughts are with you

05 Aug 2018, 14:13

Sorry to hear your plight, firstly start keeping a diary of events on a daily basis. This way you will have a written record to proceed with a grievance against the bully boy tactics you are faced with.

05 Aug 2018, 14:48

Phone the bullying and harassment phone line and speak with them , they also have counselors who can help. Remember this is just a job , try not to let the bastards grind you down. Remember your well being is more important than this job.

05 Aug 2018, 15:12

All the replies on here are perfectly reasonable,But I would like to give my own take.
I was with Royal mail for over 20 years,I've been out of the business for well over a year now,I had exactly the same feelings as yourself.
The bullying and harassment within this company is rife,I felt like I was being pushed to breaking point,Either I was going to breakdown or i was going to break a manager and end up in prison.
I was questioning my own mental health,Upon leaving it was clear the job has depressed me and affected my own well being and this had a knock on effect to my life at home,Not good with having 2 young kids.I just lost interest in doing anything.
You are just 1 person in thousands who is being treated this way,I just can't understand how they are still getting away with it,Nothing ever changes,Just look on here at posts from years ago.It never ends.
Hard workers being given a hard time,Its disgusting the way they leave no meat in the bone for anything,They hire your labour they have no rights atall to speak and treat you like a modern day slave,Treat people with the respect they deserve.
Do yourself a favour,GET OUT!
Just take your time in looking,It sounds like hard work but believe me there are plenty of places who would love to have someone with a strong work ethic working for them,Every single postman out there earns every single penny they get, and it's not all zero hour this,Min wage that.
I went into a job earning £60 less per week than Royal mail,I now earn the same,Completed an NVQ level 2,Currently doing Level 3,All paid for by my work.
I don't work weekends,Book time off with only 1 weeks notice needed.
It's not all soon and gloom also ask yourself,Can it be any worse?
It was the best thing I ever did,Not just for myself but my family.
When you get to a point of feeling like you do,Then it's time to think of number 1.

05 Aug 2018, 15:34

This needs to be nipped in the bud and expose the bullies for what they are simple as,you don’t want to believe it,but you know it’s rife within this business and it shouldn’t be tolerated we all know that,but how do you fix it through the proper channels and proper procedure?stand up and challenge this culture,it’s not big or clever,and they should be bought to task

05 Aug 2018, 15:44

To be fair it’s the standing up for myself that’s causing a lot of the mental strain.Because there’s such a small percentage of people who get treated like I do it’s hard to get much of a comparison.As I said my work peeps telling me they wouldn’t put up with my treatment doesent help as they well know they don’t have to.

05 Aug 2018, 15:49

The argument will begin something like this.

At this point you explain that they are not being reasonable they are asking you and not others less senior. You also say that if they do not discontinue you will start the bullying and harassment process.

05 Aug 2018, 16:05

danterossetti wrote:The argument will begin something like this.

At this point you explain that they are not being reasonable they are asking you and not others less senior. You also say that if they do not discontinue you will start the bullying and harassment process.

And that if they insist on sending you that you want IN WRITING that they will have a taxi ready for you to come back to your office for your regular finish time

05 Aug 2018, 17:09

I could be wrong but isn't it a thing that they have to give 24 hours notice to send you to another office? As has been said only work your duty time which includes the travel to and from your DO. And defo get union involvement in this as it only fair that being sent out when spare gets shared around. Can you not try and get a transfer to a different DO? Things may well be better somewhere else

05 Aug 2018, 18:09

ive said it on here before ,but i'm going to say it again, being a reserve for royal mail was one of the most unhappiest and stressful times in my life. RM makes a big thing about employees being treated equally, this is a lie cause reserves are treated like criminals, or people with no human rights. a reserve is a position of extreme conflict. if I was I ever to find myself back as a reserve I would leave before I had some kind of breakdown.

05 Aug 2018, 18:48

miles_peters wrote:ive said it on here before ,but i'm going to say it again, being a reserve for royal mail was one of the most unhappiest and stressful times in my life. RM makes a big thing about employees being treated equally, this is a lie cause reserves are treated like criminals, or people with no human rights. a reserve is a position of extreme conflict. if I was I ever to find myself back as a reserve I would leave before I had some kind of breakdown.

Yes my friend our reserve gets shafted no question,sent all over the place ,sometimes it’s worthwhile at the office he goes to ,more often than that not worth his while for what work he gets given and traveling time etc but hay nothing new with this culture of mis management,gets put on a full time juty without being given full time hours guess what? he hasntvtime to complete and all hell breaks out!!you couldn’t make it up,am looking to job share and do a week on week off I can no longer stand working in this culture on a weekly basis all very sad

05 Aug 2018, 20:04

Cwtchy bear wrote:I could be wrong but isn't it a thing that they have to give 24 hours notice to send you to another office? As has been said only work your duty time which includes the travel to and from your DO. And defo get union involvement in this as it only fair that being sent out when spare gets shared around. Can you not try and get a transfer to a different DO? Things may well be better somewhere else

When I started I was getting sent out quite a lot, sometimes up to 40 miles away just to deliver 2 bags of mail. It was absolutely pointless.

I eventually got myself clued up mainly via this site and in the end it really wasn’t worth anyone’s time because I made it so awkward for them.

I feel for the OP and agree with the comments it’s disgusting and happening too much.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3