not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

This is inhumane! (The weather)

06 Jul 2018, 21:24

The slog in this HEAT, day after day. I know weather is part of the job but it's getting dangerous.

Is it time for the Union to try and do something temporary while the heatwave lasts?

Temporary reduction in workload? (Lapsing!)
Temporary increase in break allowance to seek shade?
Free sports drinks or rehydration sachets?
Extra rest days somehow?

Royal Mail will do sweet f.a. as they frankly don't care if we drop dead as long as they make money.

But the CWU could surely put some pressure on this sh**house company?

This is inhumane!

06 Jul 2018, 21:36

But our health and safety is paramount!

This is inhumane!

06 Jul 2018, 21:43

We had a bulk posting for nearly every house and manager couldn't understand why no one took the lapse :arrrghhh

This is inhumane!

06 Jul 2018, 21:51

sindba wrote:The slog in this HEAT, day after day. I know weather is part of the job but it's getting dangerous.

Is it time for the Union to try and do something temporary while the heatwave lasts?

Extra rest days somehow?

Royal Mail will do sweet f.a. as they frankly don't care if we drop dead as long as they make money.

What would you like cwu to do.

This is inhumane!

06 Jul 2018, 22:30

aiden01 wrote:
sindba wrote:The slog in this HEAT, day after day. I know weather is part of the job but it's getting dangerous.

Extra rest days somehow?

What would you like cwu to do.

Just be a bit more proactive I suppose.

The media love heatwave stories. Couldn't they get some sort of of story going? I dunno, "CWU are asking people to offer their posties a cold drink"?

It might put pressure on RM to do something more to help us at least. Again, I dunno. Would giving us an extra 10 minutes "heat break" and some free isotonic drinks kill them?

SOMETHING!

07 Jul 2018, 01:06

The HSE has quite a bit to say about this, and lays guidelines for employers to follow. Unfortunately RMG and the union does not seem to take any notice of these guidelines seriously enough to even consider what they should be doing, beyond just telling people to drink more water and stay in the shade where possible.

In these conditions of prolonged fully sunny days, especially at this time of year, the most serious risk is over exposure to the sun at the strongest part of the day. The HSE guidlines makes it clear that the employer should reduce workers exposure to the hottest part of the day by altering shift patterns if possible amongst other things. I do not think it would be that difficult to have us start earlier to avoid being out in the worst time of the day. There is a lot more on this site, perhaps the bosses should take note of it instead of dishing out more lapsing! I also find it astounding that Royal Mail flatly refuses to supply or pay for sun screen/ block(I have asked several times in the past) this should be part of our protective equipment. I know bin men are given it, so why not us!
website here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/outdoor.htm

07 Jul 2018, 04:32

RM's attitude during this prolonged hot spell hasn't surprised me at all, sadly.

Walk in the shade where possible....there isn't any on my urban duty, it's like a f***ing lunar surface out there!

Whereas any caring employer would be looking to get their staff out earlier to avoid the sun (and it could done...you've stll got full timers still waiting half hour or more for part time colleagues to start at our place) , RM are still hell bent on us finishing as late as possible. Don't forget your lapsing? f**k your lapsing! Manage the situation, get some staff in you tight bastards! Like the thread title suggests, where is the humanity? There is none. It's all about saving every f***ing penny possible and sod the poor bastards at the coal face.

Really pissed off with it right now. If I hear one mention of lapsing today I know what's f***ing come home and I'll be f***ing early.

07 Jul 2018, 08:08

Honestly this weather is killing me, people keep saying well you won’t like the rain. Maybe not but it won’t rain 9-2:30pm all day for 1/2 months will it.... this heat is constant from start to finish and gets stronger as the day goes on, feel like I’ve worked 10 hours after it.

07 Jul 2018, 08:36

Maybe the Union could send a rocket to the sun to switch it off lol

07 Jul 2018, 09:06

Just a thought but it more posties come down with heat stroke and had to go on the sick and blow the office budget, then you might find that they will come up with something. Scratch my back and I will scratch yours comes to mind after all they are always shouting about teamwork. Tozzers. :coolr

This is inhumane!

07 Jul 2018, 12:59

sindba wrote:Free sports drinks or rehydration sachets?

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 28&t=86554 LTB 377/18 - Royal Mail Outdoor Workers – Provision Of Water Bottles or Bottled Water in Hot Weather:

With regard to the provision of water bottles or bottled water where required, Delivery Offices can request them through the “Demand Challenge” process, via the region.

The RMG Head of Health has also issued the following advice to all Managers in a recent communication that was circulated:-

Hydration – water plays a critical part of maintaining a healthy body. Experts recommend drinking 8-10 glasses of water each day to maintain good health. Almost every cell in the body requires water to function, even more so during periods of increased activity or when temperatures rise. Drinking facilities can be found in all Royal Mail sites for both indoor and outdoor workers.

During hot weather, managers should complete a severe weather risk assessment. Provision of water should be considered and where deemed necessary bottled water may be purchased locally.

It is important to drink more water than usual and to ensure that you carry water and/or fluids with you at all times.

07 Jul 2018, 13:01

PHARRY wrote:Maybe the Union could send a rocket to the sun to switch it off lol

they tried but it was dark by time they got there and forgot a torch to find the switch ;-)

07 Jul 2018, 13:13

Like most things that are real and need addressing they will cover there ears and shout lalalah!,, ! I can’t hear you,they just say be careful out there keep in the shade,etc in this hot weather!,, but bring any mail back and look out!!

This is inhumane!

07 Jul 2018, 13:16

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
sindba wrote:Free sports drinks or rehydration sachets?

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 28&t=86554 LTB 377/18 - Royal Mail Outdoor Workers – Provision Of Water Bottles or Bottled Water in Hot Weather:

With regard to the provision of water bottles or bottled water where required, Delivery Offices can request them through the “Demand Challenge” process, via the region.

The RMG Head of Health has also issued the following advice to all Managers in a recent communication that was circulated:-

Hydration – water plays a critical part of maintaining a healthy body. Experts recommend drinking 8-10 glasses of water each day to maintain good health. Almost every cell in the body requires water to function, even more so during periods of increased activity or when temperatures rise. Drinking facilities can be found in all Royal Mail sites for both indoor and outdoor workers.

During hot weather, managers should complete a severe weather risk assessment. Provision of water should be considered and where deemed necessary bottled water may be purchased locally.

It is important to drink more water than usual and to ensure that you carry water and/or fluids with you at all times.

we used to get bottles and sun cream years ago, then we got told no more as the bottles aren't sterile and no cream due to potential allergies so against H&S regs!!
i've been freezing half of a 2 litre bottle overnight and keep topping it up
i must say our management team don't give a toss about our well being, but do we really expect them to?

07 Jul 2018, 14:11

robbertwhitton wrote:Like most things that are real and need addressing they will cover there ears and shout lalalah!,, ! I can’t hear you,they just say be careful out there keep in the shade,etc in this hot weather!,, but bring any mail back and look out!!

I wish keeping in the shade was an option for me lol on my current route I’m lucky to get in it for more than 2 seconds

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6