not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 16:00

I’m 2 days into working for Royal Mail, I’m yet to get my contract, haven’t been shown some key areas of the building have not done my training which was meant to be day one as someone couldn’t get the dvd’s And been stuck on a pretty tough walk; also don’t have a key card sorted to get into staff entrance or use self service to buy food. is it always like this? Just seems a shambles at the minute and after an easy first day in the rurals I’ve had a very difficult second day.

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 16:28

Rapidryan88 wrote:I’m 2 days into working for Royal Mail, I’m yet to get my contract, haven’t been shown some key areas of the building have not done my training which was meant to be day one as someone couldn’t get the dvd’s And been stuck on a pretty tough walk; also don’t have a key card sorted to get into staff entrance or use self service to buy food. is it always like this? Just seems a shambles at the minute and after an easy first day in the rurals I’ve had a very difficult second day.

How do you know it's a tough walk if after being on it for the whole 2 days of your RM employment you haven't done any other walks?
I'm sure you'll be fine when you knees and ankles stop swelling and the throbbing in your feet stops.
Hang in there, honestly, it gets easier, or maybe I was brainwashed and just learned to cope rather than it actually becoming easier.
Welcome to Royal Mail

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 16:38

Welcome to royal mail , this company is just one big f..k up.

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 16:41

Sounds completely normal, I'm afraid.

Contract arrived for me a couple of weeks after I started. Training should have been given.
Id badge took a couple months to arrive, for others it took 6 months!

Stick with it, try to enjoy it and don't feel pressured to complete quickly. It will take time to get up to speed, try not to be disheartened seeing yourself last back every day.

Find your workplace coach and union rep and ask for advice.
Last edited by Tomolo208 on 13 Jun 2018, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 16:43

Yes my friend , welcome to Royal Mail , chasos management , everywhere !!!

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 17:15

Sounds about right Ryan, hang in there. I had 3 days 'training' from someone who had started 2 weeks before me :crazy:

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 17:31

Yep, welcome to Royal Mail. It sounds like the office was expecting you - that is more than some have found!

I remember leaving the Induction day with about a dozen pages of A4 of what could be called a training plan, and was told to take it to the office on my first day. The idea was for various stages of training to be ticked off over the next few weeks/months. After talking it in with me for the first two weeks I decided no one wanted it so I threw it away.

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 17:31

Rumple wrote:
Rapidryan88 wrote:I’m 2 days into working for Royal Mail, I’m yet to get my contract, haven’t been shown some key areas of the building have not done my training which was meant to be day one as someone couldn’t get the dvd’s And been stuck on a pretty tough walk; also don’t have a key card sorted to get into staff entrance or use self service to buy food. is it always like this? Just seems a shambles at the minute and after an easy first day in the rurals I’ve had a very difficult second day.

How do you know it's a tough walk if after being on it for the whole 2 days of your RM employment you haven't done any other walks?
I'm sure you'll be fine when you knees and ankles stop swelling and the throbbing in your feet stops.
Hang in there, honestly, it gets easier, or maybe I was brainwashed and just learned to cope rather than it actually becoming easier.
Welcome to Royal Mail

I’ve been on two different walks so far and the guy I was with today said it’s a bit of a tough one cause there’s loads of stops and a lot of flats where we have to go up several flights etc was pretty hard tbh thanks for the words of encouragement, I’ve come from a sit down job and I’m inactive a lot so this is a big shock.

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 17:32

fb1969 wrote:Yep, welcome to Royal Mail. It sounds like the office was expecting you - that is more than some have found!

I remember leaving the Induction day with about a dozen pages of A4 of what could be called a training plan, and was told to take it to the office on my first day. The idea was for various stages of training to be ticked off over the next few weeks/months. After talking it in with me for the first two weeks I decided no one wanted it so I threw it away.

That’s what I have! Yet to hear anyone talk about it yet so honestly I’m baffled mate

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 17:34

Joe B wrote:Sounds about right Ryan, hang in there. I had 3 days 'training' from someone who had started 2 weeks before me :crazy:

That’s pretty shocking, they stuck me with a guy who’d only been there 5 months on day 1.... could only answer basic questions.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I know it will get easier just very hard at the minute especially when my feet are soaked cause it’s 25 degrees and I’m sweating buckets lol

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 17:42

stick with it mate. i came from an office into this job and it was a big shock initially (5 months to get an id card and that was only because an audit was due!, like you had the training plan from induction but gave up on it as no-one was intereste). luckily I had been looking at this site before I started and knew that much of what was spouted out on the induction day was not going to be the reality and it was just going to be a case of sink or swim.

saying all that I love the job now (it can take a couple of months to physically and mentally get to grips with it all but after that you will be fine). you just have to have very low expectations of management and rely on your colleagues for help and advice.
Last edited by itinerant on 13 Jun 2018, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 17:56

Well for those who have been in a while it’s pretty embarrassing to say the least,again someone somewhere not doing there job properly in showing a new recruit the ropes,what must he think of this outfit?

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 19:15

Rapidryan88 wrote:
fb1969 wrote:Yep, welcome to Royal Mail. It sounds like the office was expecting you - that is more than some have found!

That’s what I have! Yet to hear anyone talk about it yet so honestly I’m baffled mate

Snap. I took mine for the first week but no one in the office is interested so just forget about it. Its basically so some bod in HR can justify their job by producing a fancy booklet with lots of pictures and traffic light signals.

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 20:22

Unfortunately you need to have about twenty years seniority before it gets good.

Either that or simply work to rule and work to time, then things will eventually work out for themselves.

Unorganised start.

13 Jun 2018, 21:13

I've been here 4 weeks... My observations so far:

1. 6 week training plan is 4 days. You won't get shown everything and you'll need to ask lots of questions and write the answers down.

2. Hours. I'm 25 hour part time. I'm currently doing about 30 hours a week as I'm still getting up to speed. Do NOT be pressurised into rushing to get it done. Get someone to explain Meal Breaks, Lapsing and Absorbing to you. They forgot to tell me.

3. Your knees, ankles and feet will ache. The RM issue shoes are massively heavy... Baths/Foot Soaks in Epsom Salts are a lifesaver, as is Voltarol and some good orthotic inner soles.

4. Holiday. Ask now when you can have some... Ask to see the free weeks. No one explained to me that you get given your holiday and if youre lucky, you can swap the rubbish weeks you get given. All I have to look forward to until April is the odd days off that no one else wants... Perks of being the new girl I guess.

5. Wednesday is a heavy day for post. Take lots of water and protein bars with you to stay alive. Also, a little flannel to wipe the sweat from your brow before your mail recipient answers the door to sign for their post, makes it a bit nicer. Opening a door to a red/purple sweaty unfit newbie postie is off-putting (that's what I convinced myself).

6. It does get better. I'm quite enjoying it now...have lost half a stone in 4 weeks and can now power my way up hills and not almost collapse at the top.

Enjoy!

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2