not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Contracted Hours - not enough work

13 Jun 2018, 06:31

Hi all,

Just a quick question:

For the last two days, it has been very quiet at my DO and I have ended up finishing before 2pm (my contracted end time for each day). I have asked management if there was any extra work on both days after getting back from delivery, and the answer was no, so I went home.

I was wondering if I should still get paid the contracted hours for this as it is through no fault of my own that there is not enough work to go around. My manager seemed to suggest that I would, but in order to do so, he would borrow the voluntary overtime from the start of my shift. I.e. I'm contracted to do 5h each day, 9-2, but have come in at 8am as requested, and finished at 1pm. Should I be expecting 5h or 6h pay for this?

Many thanks in advance

13 Jun 2018, 07:19

For the last 2 days? :crazy: If they've got you in on Sunday ask for treble time.

13 Jun 2018, 09:50

ziggypig wrote:Hi all,

Just a quick question:

For the last two days, it has been very quiet at my DO and I have ended up finishing before 2pm (my contracted end time for each day). I have asked management if there was any extra work on both days after getting back from delivery, and the answer was no, so I went home.

I was wondering if I should still get paid the contracted hours for this as it is through no fault of my own that there is not enough work to go around. My manager seemed to suggest that I would, but in order to do so, he would borrow the voluntary overtime from the start of my shift. I.e. I'm contracted to do 5h each day, 9-2, but have come in at 8am as requested, and finished at 1pm. Should I be expecting 5h or 6h pay for this?

Many thanks in advance

Rule #1 don’t ask for extra work.

Also yes you will be paid your contracted hours. Don’t let him take your overtime you did in the morning off you.

13 Jun 2018, 12:00

Go home

13 Jun 2018, 15:46

your contract requires you to be available to work for RM for X amount of hours a day, in your case 5. You have clearly and willingly fulfilled this part of your contract. so that shouldn't be an issue.

You have also agreed to inconvenience yourself and extend your availability by 1 hour in the morning in exchange for 1 hour's pay, again a contract (presumably verbal) that you have clearly and willingly fulfilled.

There is no way you should be receiving anything less than 6 hours pay for the day.

Sounds like the DOM may start throwing phrases like Flexibility, or Swings and Roundabouts around and hope to bamboozle you into submission. Don't have any of it. He cannot bank hours (using the extra time you have worked to afford you not work at other times).
If there is no work there is no work. It is Royal Mails problem that the workload is incorrectly forecast and resources are not in place where they are needed. Not yours.

In my office we often have 3 or 4 people coming in 30mins to an hour early on OT to help out on the IPS, Its absolutely not needed, just habit and arse covering because we have failed so much so frequently over the last 9 month or so. You know damn well they would promptly stop if they were told, you went home 1/2 and hour early so your not getting paid for the extra you did in the morning

13 Jun 2018, 16:27

Thanks for all replies, particularly the last. That's firmed things up for me. I'll make sure I get the six hours.

13 Jun 2018, 19:52

Never ceases to amaze me how many ways DOMs try and shaft their staff over payments. :no no I take it you're on a 30 hour contract? It could be worse, I used to be on a 20 hour contract. :sad: Royal Mail love part timers who are desperate for more hours/money. They want you to work your self stupid when it's heavy, and then suddenly drop back to your basic hours if things slow down. I can appreciate how the business might like it to be more efficient, but it should be manged with some common sense. Your DOM can't (sorry missed the T, I'm not that much of a Company man) start "Clawing Back" Overtime that he's paid you and claim it's just your contracted hours brought forward. :no no

I always suggest that PTers who need more money should consider getting another PT job outside Royal Mail. You're then not being Blackmailed, or Bullied, over overtime. Generally our Overtime seems to be pretty consistent, a bit too consistent for some Posties. IMO you should not need to rely on the same half a dozen people working their days off every week plus additional IPS overtime etc. I believe it's basically greed, and TBH I think their duties are pretty easy if they're willing to put in another days work and give up their rest day. :cuppa
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 16 Jun 2018, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

13 Jun 2018, 20:21

ziggypig wrote:Hi all,

Just a quick question:

Many thanks in advance

Working from 0800 to 1300 is the same five hours as if you worked from 0900 to 1400 so you have worked the hours you have been paid for. RM summertime runs from this week until the end of August. According to RM at this time of year the mail volumes drop so DOs will be asked to do varying amounts of absorption. In addition the German data protection regulations that affect the whole of Europe came in at the end of May. It is unknown as to what if any affect this will have on future mail volumes. I have a feeling it will be a storm in a teacup but I may be wrong. Try not to worry about it and just deliver the mail - it's up to the management to improve mail volumes.

15 Jun 2018, 21:59

Never go to a manager if you're finished early, it's down to them to manage the workload. They should give you enough work to keep you out till your finish time. If you get back early and a manager tells you x needs doing, fair enough, but never ask.

You'll get paid your full hours; it's also a nonsense to say they can take sa off you, say you're not coming in early then if you're not going to be paid.

16 Jun 2018, 12:24

postietom wrote:Never go to a manager if you're finished early, it's down to them to manage the workload. They should give you enough work to keep you out till your finish time. If you get back early and a manager tells you x needs doing, fair enough, but never ask.

You'll get paid your full hours; it's also a nonsense to say they can take sa off you, say you're not coming in early then if you're not going to be paid.

Never happens in my DO PT. We had a Duty left in the frame and offered on PT (due to sickness). The usual Runners came back over an hour early (allowing for taking a Full MR) and yet when the rest of came back (nearer the finishing time)........ guess what? Most of that Duty was still in the frame. :arrrghhh You would have thought the DOM whould have said, "Alright lads you're all back over an hour early can you bag up an hours worth of that duty and take it out"? I'm not normally a great supporter of management but I believe in this case the DOM would have had the support of most of the Office. :cuppa

16 Jun 2018, 13:50

Dorset Plodder wrote:
postietom wrote:Never go to a manager if you're finished early, it's down to them to manage the workload. They should give you enough work to keep you out till your finish time. If you get back early and a manager tells you x needs doing, fair enough, but never ask.

Never happens in my DO PT. We had a Duty left in the frame and offered on PT (due to sickness). The usual Runners came back over an hour early (allowing for taking a Full MR) and yet when the rest of came back (nearer the finishing time)........ guess what? Most of that Duty was still in the frame. :arrrghhh You would have thought the DOM whould have said, "Alright lads you're all back over an hour early can you bag up an hours worth of that duty and take it out"? I'm not normally a great supporter of management but I believe in this case the DOM would have had the support of most of the Office. :cuppa

It doesn't in ours to be honest. It's largely accepted that any additional is paid overtime, there's no lapsing and finish times are not questioned on quieter days as long as we don't cut off when it's busy.

16 Jun 2018, 15:55

I just can’t see how RM think it’s going to work. Most of our walks are covered by 7:30am, some as duty, overtime etc. I can’t see managers waiting all day with 3 walks uncovered in the hope some will finish early who can then go and deliver these walks. If posties know when/if they get back early they will have to do more work then they will just go slower. It’s going to end up with posties doing the bare minimum work to drag it out till their time and it will be very easy to do.

16 Jun 2018, 16:38

Which is why our gaffers are fighting tooth and nail to keep job and finish I reckon. Yes it encourages rushing, coming in early, cutting corners ect but at least the work gets covered. We virtually never fail any walks because it's swings and roundabouts, we go home early when it's quiet and stay later when it's busy. The second they take the early finishes away fine, but there's no chance anybody is going over their time either.

Same which 'ghosting', absolutely nobody is gonna do overtime unless there's some incentive to do so. People are not gonna take another 3rd out if it means staying out an additional 2 hours, people are just gonna tell them to stick it.

16 Jun 2018, 17:41

postietom wrote:Which is why our gaffers are fighting tooth and nail to keep job and finish I reckon.

It's the glaringly obvious reason why Job & Finish was introduced in the first place - the carrot in the carrot and stick approach. But since 2008 it's been all about the stick and they wonder why walks fail more than ever.

16 Jun 2018, 18:04

If I did deliver to neighbour correctly I can easily add an hour on to my round. The business is obsessed with working your hours but they don’t seem too bothered what you do in those hours. If I complete my duty and finish right on my time or if I put my foot down and finish an hour before my time, doing exactly the same amount of work how/why is this an issue? The business hasn’t “loss” money because I’ve done the same amount of work.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2