not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Job shares for over 60s ?

13 Jun 2018, 06:10

Just wondered what the company’s position may be on allowing job share...

There are a few of us ‘oldies’ (60+ year olds) that feel that an ideal solution for us to be able to continue working in the job (in particular on delivery given the now physical demands) would be to be allowed to do a walk on the basis of a job share...
If two of us were amicably prepared to work one week on one week off, would that be conceivably allowable and what would the company and cwu position be on allowing this type of job share... ??

If two of us approached the company with this proposition can we be refused... ??

(There are managers in our office much younger than us openly admit they themselves would not be able to do the job physically anymore)

Job shares for over 60’s ?

13 Jun 2018, 11:59

Very good idea if they allow.

13 Jun 2018, 14:48

Ask. I think it's a great idea . . . and something I'd be interested in. It'll be either a yes or a no :thumbup

13 Jun 2018, 15:50

They had it in our office where each did 3 days a week but now after the revision they want them to do 4 days delivery only :arrrghhh

13 Jun 2018, 16:40

Sounds like a great idea but make sure you get it in writing.

13 Jun 2018, 17:50

Entirely at the discretion and whim of your DOM... If it's a benefit to them and they can be arsed then you might get to do it, otherwise forget it.

13 Jun 2018, 19:55

I'm 61 and have job shared for 15 years or more (we actually have three duties in our office).

You do two three day weeks back to back (Thursday to following Wednesday) and a week off.

When I have a two week holiday I try to book the first day to fall on a week off, that way you are off for a three week stretch :Very Happy

Let us know if you can do it :cool

13 Jun 2018, 20:46

Patti-Ann wrote:I'm 61 and have job shared for 15 years or more (we actually have three duties in our office).

You do two three day weeks back to back (Thursday to following Wednesday) and a week off.

When I have a two week holiday I try to book the first day to fall on a week off, that way you are off for a three week stretch :Very Happy

That’s the sort of thing we are looking for ... there are a number of us interested though so would need a move on the part of the company to allow this sort of thing ‘en mass’ so to speak ... the company may well accept as they are pretty sure just interested in ‘bums on seats’ or ‘feet on the beat ! :chuckle ‘ but the Union may not be so happy as there is an element of converting ‘full-time’ positions into ‘part-time’ which may not sit too well with them ??

14 Jun 2018, 13:57

Me and another looking for evr after some 36 years,but happy to job share if we can sort it,we’re both 57,it’s laughable to say the least the info you get with your pension to say your manager will look at options available to you in your later years in employment,well havehad no input from him at all,surprisingly enough!,

14 Jun 2018, 15:28

There’s a couple in our office boyfriend/girlfriend who share the job between them.
They do have a young lad though to look after. It seems to work well for them and the company.

14 Jun 2018, 18:22

Would like to hear the Union position on supporting this.. ??

14 Jun 2018, 18:27

thegreatestfreddy wrote:Would like to hear the Union position on supporting this.. ??

After all would this strategy not be supporting someone else into a job (perhaps giving a younger person a chance) ?

14 Jun 2018, 20:26

thegreatestfreddy wrote:
Patti-Ann wrote:I'm 61 and have job shared for 15 years or more (we actually have three duties in our office).

That’s the sort of thing we are looking for ... there are a number of us interested though so would need a move on the part of the company to allow this sort of thing ‘en mass’ so to speak ... the company may well accept as they are pretty sure just interested in ‘bums on seats’ or ‘feet on the beat ! :chuckle ‘ but the Union may not be so happy as there is an element of converting ‘full-time’ positions into ‘part-time’ which may not sit too well with them ??

Our driver is also part time (we van share), but works five days a week. So I guess it's classed as a part time duty?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1