ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Business not providing letter box

11 Jun 2018, 17:54

Hi all , firm recently moved on my duty , they insist I deliver their mail to reception office , 30 yds or more inside building , I asked them to provide a letter box at their first point of entry in front door .
They are refusing ! I believe they should provide a secure mail box , surely royal mail policy ?

11 Jun 2018, 18:06

There is no RM 'policy' on letter boxes - the company abides by the USO which states a delivery must be attempted to every address in the UK daily (if they have mail). There is no stipulation where the delivery point must be. If the delivery point is (according to the business) inside the premises you need to update the 318 and time will be allocated to the duty for you to walk to the delivery point. You have no other option, the mail must be left securely and if that is where they want it that is where you need to go.

11 Jun 2018, 18:12

Hmm, I duty is all firms etc , if I was to deliver to every reception etc I wud be out all day , ps vast majority do provide letter boxes therefore no problems , are we insured to enter buildings beyond what is reasonable , I believe firms etc do have to provide letter boxes for security of mail ?

11 Jun 2018, 18:15

If you had to deliver to all receptions as I said the walk would be configured to give you time to do that.

It's not unreasonable for a firm to ask for mail to go to their reception, businesses on 2nd floors of buildings have Posties walking up to deliver to them for example.

Security of mail is your responsibility not the address you are delivering to. If there is a secure delivery point (ie reception) you can use it, if not it must be returned to your office.

12 Jun 2018, 05:56

We are going to agree to disagree my friend , I have a pal who works for Royal mail customer services business and he confirmed it is the responsibility of landlord of building to provide a mail box at entrance point of premises , thanx for ur imput

12 Jun 2018, 16:24

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... on#p727420

..... we will deliver your mail directly to your address provided all of the following conditions are met:
1.Your separate business address is a self-contained property and is separately and individually rated by the valuation office for business rate purposes.
2.Your separate business entity can be clearly identified (with a number, letter or trading name) and has its own letterbox (or a secure lockable receptacle that clearly corresponds to the business premise)
3.Our delivery staff can gain safe and easy access to perform delivery to your separate business premise.
4.The overall multi-occupied site to which the address relates is a permanent structure
Should any of the conditions above not be met then we are not obliged to deliver mail directly to your business premise. In such circumstances we will deliver your mail to a suitable reception point or letterbox for your location, together with other mail for this location.

12 Jun 2018, 16:58

Does the reply above not refer only to multi-occupancy premises?

If the company is sole occupier, I don't think it needs its own box, they can say where they want the mail taken.

13 Jun 2018, 06:08

Yes , businesses do require their" own " secure letter box , if there is no access to premises on occasions mail can be delivered to box instead of entering building

13 Jun 2018, 21:08

Ciderboy1957 wrote:We are going to agree to disagree my friend , I have a pal who works for Royal mail customer services business and he confirmed it is the responsibility of landlord of building to provide a mail box at entrance point of premises , thanx for ur imput

Ciderboy1957 wrote:Yes , businesses do require their" own " secure letter box , if there is no access to premises on occasions mail can be delivered to box instead of entering building

If you already know the answer from your friend in a higher position, why have you asked us?
It seems you are not willing to listen/read.

15 Jun 2018, 11:43

Just putting it out there m8 , Royal Mail ad we know are the first people to quite rule book at posties when procedures are not adhered to but the " customer is always right " adage is not always the case

15 Jun 2018, 14:19

Ciderboy1957 wrote:Yes , businesses do require their" own " secure letter box , if there is no access to premises on occasions mail can be delivered to box instead of entering building

I completely agree with you that sometimes what RM tell us is not in fact the case, however don't think the above is correct.

If a business is a sole occupier they may specify where their delivery point is, so long as it's safe of access. This could be a box inside or outside or a reception area.

If they do not have a box outside then obviously they cannot receive mail when they are shut but that doesn't mean one is actually required (it's just required for them to get a delivery outside of business hours). Lots of shops, for instance, have no letter box, or their letterbox is in an open door, and yet we cannot refuse delivery to them - instead we take to a designated delivery point, which is chosen by the shop and is usually a counter.

A business that is not a shop is no different to that.

15 Jun 2018, 18:31

What should I do with my lwt whilst taking the all important adverts and trade mags upstairs to the dentists/tattooists/hairdressers/therapists/gym?

16 Jun 2018, 09:07

Where security is an issue, you should not be using a LWT on that loop. Instead the loop should be short enough that a small pouch of low weight may be carried or it should be arranged that the delivery point(s) in question are towards the end of the loop and so the near-empty bag may be carried with the LWT - containing no items - being left for the couple of minutes needed.

I'm well aware that the above isn't usually what happens, by the way, but it's what Delivery Methods said should happen.

16 Jun 2018, 10:24

This issue all came about by this particular firm insisting mail was delivered securely each day to the hand of a member of staff ! The previous postman used to search premises to do so ! Sorry not happening with me , if they can't provide a secure letter box then I return mail to Depot !.
They complained and I was interviewed and made out to be wrong ! Not I'm and as already be stated by Royal Mail a secure letter box should be provided in such a case

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1