ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

payment for day off falling on a bank holiday, cut off point

16 Apr 2018, 15:37

Hi there,
is there any body out there that can tell me the cut of point in claiming money for when your day off falls on a bank holiday, many thanks.

16 Apr 2018, 15:51

wheresourmoney wrote:Hi there,
is there any body out there that can tell me the cut of point in claiming money for when your day off falls on a bank holiday, many thanks.

You should be offered OT or a day back in lieu the week of the bank holiday (preferably on the Tuesday so it can be recorded and payment received the following week)

16 Apr 2018, 16:46

I wasn't offered anything because i was off for the following 2 weeks, just got back today and asked for the money for the two easter bank holidays and was told it was to late to claim. it seems strange that i can't find anything in writing which gives a precise time frame

16 Apr 2018, 17:08

in that case you are owed lieu days.

16 Apr 2018, 17:39

It’s not too late to claim. Put a grievance in, and say you’ll go to ACAS too if they don’t pay it.

16 Apr 2018, 19:36

wheresourmoney wrote:I wasn't offered anything because i was off for the following 2 weeks, just got back today and asked for the money for the two easter bank holidays and was told it was to late to claim. it seems strange that i can't find anything in writing which gives a precise time frame

As a general rule you get a day in lieu for bank holiday days that fall within your annual leave. I'm not sure whether you can ask to be paid for them as you wouldn't actually be there. In other words you can't come in and work and be paid if you are on leave. The 'system' won't allow it.
Those days in lieu are still yours though and haven't disappeared. You can carry them over to the following tax year if you choose not to take them in the current year.

16 Apr 2018, 20:27

Celgar wrote:
wheresourmoney wrote:I wasn't offered anything because i was off for the following 2 weeks, just got back today and asked for the money for the two easter bank holidays and was told it was to late to claim. it seems strange that i can't find anything in writing which gives a precise time frame

As a general rule you get a day in lieu for bank holiday days that fall within your annual leave. I'm not sure whether you can ask to be paid for them as you wouldn't actually be there. In other words you can't come in and work and be paid if you are on leave. The 'system' won't allow it.
Those days in lieu are still yours though and haven't disappeared. You can carry them over to the following tax year if you choose not to take them in the current year.

I was under the impression that if your on annual leave during a bank holiday, your paid for the bank holiday and 1 less day is deducted from your annual leave?

16 Apr 2018, 21:30

It can be done in retrospect but you should really just learn it as a lesson. We need to give a whole weeks notice if we want paying instead of a day in lieu.

16 Apr 2018, 21:34

The Postman wrote:
Celgar wrote:

I was under the impression that if your on annual leave during a bank holiday, your paid for the bank holiday and 1 less day is deducted from your annual leave?

You wouldnt automatically be paid, you would/should be offered the choice of a days pay or a day in lieu (and if on leave you should have been contacted via phone call or text message), it's not to late to claim it back at all! If the manager doesn't agree to put it through then request a grievance form.

17 Apr 2018, 15:26

Thanks everyone for your replys i'm going to go with fed up postie suggestion and i'll let you know how i get on.

01 May 2018, 21:33

wheresourmoney wrote:Thanks everyone for your replys i'm going to go with fed up postie suggestion and i'll let you know how i get on.

How did you get on??

01 May 2018, 23:09

The Postman wrote:
Celgar wrote:

Nope. You can't be paid if you aren't there. The system won't allow it.

02 May 2018, 17:44

Celgar wrote:
The Postman wrote:
Celgar wrote:

Of course you can!!!! We aren't there on ANY bank holidays and we get paid for it if we want to if not we get a day in lieu. Also of you are on A/L and you work a day you will also get paid for that so once again you can be paid and the system WILL let you

02 May 2018, 19:57

fed_up_postie wrote:
Celgar wrote:
The Postman wrote:
Celgar wrote:

Of course you can!!!! We aren't there on ANY bank holidays and we get paid for it if we want to if not we get a day in lieu. Also of you are on A/L and you work a day you will also get paid for that so once again you can be paid and the system WILL let you

Incorrect. You're mixing up two different things. If, for example, you're working the week containing Good Friday and your day off is Tuesday you would obviously get paid for the Good Friday.
If, for example, you are on annual leave next week and you offer to work on Wednesday because there are staff shortages you cannot be paid overtime for working on that Wednesday. This is because RM have you down as being on annual leave therefore you can't be in the office doing overtime because you are on annual leave!!!! I have helped out twice while on annual leave and received days in lieu in return so I know this is the case. I probably wouldn't do it again as it can be quite difficult to find space on the holiday sheet to book days in lieu.

02 May 2018, 20:20

Celgar wrote:
fed_up_postie wrote:
Celgar wrote:
The Postman wrote:
Celgar wrote:

Incorrect. You're mixing up two different things. If, for example, you're working the week containing Good Friday and your day off is Tuesday you would obviously get paid for the Good Friday.
If, for example, you are on annual leave next week and you offer to work on Wednesday because there are staff shortages you cannot be paid overtime for working on that Wednesday. This is because RM have you down as being on annual leave therefore you can't be in the office doing overtime because you are on annual leave!!!! I have helped out twice while on annual leave and received days in lieu in return so I know this is the case. I probably wouldn't do it again as it can be quite difficult to find space on the holiday sheet to book days in lieu.

Actually annual leave is 5 days out of 6 so if therefore you worked 1 day whilst on annual leave you would infact be paid for it!!!! I know this as I've done this on many occasions as have many others in my office, sounds to me like your Dom doesn't want to pay the hours and therefore only offers day in lieu if you work it.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2