not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Managers doing overtime as OPG's

13 Apr 2018, 20:37

Hi all,
What is the position on managers doing SA's or coming in on their rest days to do delivery.
It seems Managers overtime has dried up as more of these cover managers are recruited.
Odd situation this week of a full time manager doing a walk whilst a step up trainee manager, still a postman, covered the managers day off.

14 Apr 2018, 09:11

Guess no one in uniform wants to do it. It has to be delivered somehow.

14 Apr 2018, 10:06

It should be raised in the IR Framework by the union rep, if there is a failure to agree on correct staffing using OPG's then ultimately it could lead to industrial action. They very often cover duties themselves as a short term cost cutting exercise rather than paying o/t for OPG cover.

14 Apr 2018, 18:18

As a salaried member of staff I would have thought that any extra work would not have attracted additional money. Would you expect Moya Greene to be paid overtime if she did work outside of her contractual obligations?

14 Apr 2018, 18:52

Lincox wrote:As a salaried member of staff I would have thought that any extra work would not have attracted additional money. Would you expect Moya Greene to be paid overtime if she did work outside of her contractual obligations?

I doubt moya manages 39hrs as it is

14 Apr 2018, 18:59

nickbsmooth wrote:
Lincox wrote:As a salaried member of staff I would have thought that any extra work would not have attracted additional money. Would you expect Moya Greene to be paid overtime if she did work outside of her contractual obligations?

Try 6 but I cannot mention names!

14 Apr 2018, 22:19

k979aaa wrote:
nickbsmooth wrote:

Try 6 but I cannot mention names!

Why not??

15 Apr 2018, 12:30

scirocco'r' wrote:Hi all,
What is the position on managers doing SA's or coming in on their rest days to do delivery.
It seems Managers overtime has dried up as more of these cover managers are recruited.
Odd situation this week of a full time manager doing a walk whilst a step up trainee manager, still a postman, covered the managers day off.

Managers don't generally do SAs or come in on their rest days now. I think more cover managers have been employed. Regarding the odd situation it may have been that the full time manager knew the walk but the cover manager didn't ?

15 Apr 2018, 18:41

Unfortunately, this isn't 1979 and we have a strong union that has management watching it's Ps and Qs, lest it sparks industrial unrest.

This is 2018, and we have a weak union, despite tremendous backing from it's members,and it's forever giving RM the green light to make our job harder than ever.

In light of this, I personally think DOMs should partake more of our daily sufferings.
The sooner this damn job does to their health, what it has done to ours, the better.

15 Apr 2018, 21:30

Dirtyharry. Spot on mate. Going back to the 80s,90s the managers were put in there place by the strength of the union. But back then any BLACK MAIL wasn't sorted or touched. Then again a good number of managers had started as posties, then put then inspector left and knew the job. Fair enough we did get away with murder and it had to change but not for the swing to be so far in the way it has..

17 Apr 2018, 15:42

True, Navalron.
There was also a valid reason why delivery spans were 2.5 hours long back then, and that reason no less valid today.

Our health.

17 Apr 2018, 16:59

DirtyHarry wrote:True, Navalron.
There was also a valid reason why delivery spans were 2.5 hours long back then, and that reason no less valid today.

Our health.

Another big reason was probably that there would have been a lot less packets back during the 80s and 90s before e-commerce started to take off

17 Apr 2018, 17:33

Used to be a lot more weight in the mail pouches not so long ago when we had the bike deliveries. Pouches regularly were overweight. The limit then was 16 kg but they would regularly be about 25 kg if not a little more.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1