not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Would you report a colleague for wilful delay?

12 Mar 2018, 20:27

So over the past few weeks there has been much debate in our canteen, with mixed views.

The two people involved have a bit of a fued for whatever reason, with one in particular exploiting any chance he can to get 'one up' on the other. I personally see it as a form of passive bullying, but what do I know? One sits on a duty(bully), the other is his float(victim).

Months of the bully bringing back mail & packets for call's that are awkward to get to ( steep climbs/stairs, controlled entry flats, top floors on tenement flats, house's that require dead walk - we all know the trademark returns of the lazy postie ) has manifested resentment in the floater. I should probably mention the bully is infamous for this kind of behaviour and is a bit of a slippery character, forever managing to escape criticism from management, knowing every trick in the book to avoid work indoors & out.

So a few weeks ago the poor floater finally cracked after a tray of mail had been brought back. No mail in the tray was endorsed, instead only a 739 on top saying "dog loose". The mail was for all trademark calls described above, spread over the duty; a truely obscene amount. The cherry was an entire tenement flat(16 calls) returned, which has no front door.

I feel the floater is justified in raising the issue with the manager (as I've been a victim to the act in the past) however, a large chunk of the office seem to disagree, that he was wrong to raise it with management, and is now warranting bullyish name calling. I can't understand their reasoning though, I can only guess there is some kind of allegiance towards the shadey chap. Absolutely nothing has came of the situation, and since then, the floater has had a complaint loggod against him for -apparently- not delivering mail, you couldn't make it up!

What are the thought's of the omniscient posters of RMC? With the office divided pretty evenly, I thought I would search here for the answers I seek.

Office politics are great :Very Happy

12 Mar 2018, 20:44

If someone tried blaming anything they’d done wrong on me, or some something which I could get the blame for which is serious then I’d save my own skin. Anything else it’s managements job to sort out.

12 Mar 2018, 20:53

Yes. The job has changed a lot since I started, no more bag checks or refreshing of the rules but the gist of it is still there. Do not bring mail back because you "can't be bothered". If there is a genuine reason, even "missorts" then fine but otherwise you should do the job you are paid to.

12 Mar 2018, 21:14

only one that does that in ours is the union rep, nothing ever happens about it

12 Mar 2018, 21:37

Why doesn't the float just do the same as he is in a better position than the duty holder. The float can bring it all back too knowing the duty holder will have to do it over the following week. The duty holder is the one that will have more trouble as the float won't be back on the round for a week so he can get away with it easier, hell you should see the amount of crap most of my rest day cover guys leave me even though I always leave a clear frame? :crazy:

12 Mar 2018, 21:44

Royal Mail ALWAYS looks after the lazy c***s/bully'.

12 Mar 2018, 22:22

Judgee wrote:Why doesn't the float just do the same as he is in a better position than the duty holder. The float can bring it all back too knowing the duty holder will have to do it over the following week. The duty holder is the one that will have more trouble as the float won't be back on the round for a week so he can get away with it easier, hell you should see the amount of crap most of my rest day cover guys leave me even though I always leave a clear frame? :crazy:

You're right, he is, but he is of the opinion 'two wrongs don't make a right', and I agree. When it was happening to me a few years back, I just got on with it, refusing to let it bother me. Showing that it bothers you means you submit to their petty games and empowers them, giving them a sense of satisfaction, but saying nothing subjects you to their behaviour anyway - you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't!

Kudos to him for valuing the integrity of mail over 'getting even'.

12 Mar 2018, 22:43

Alexei wrote:
Judgee wrote:Why doesn't the float just do the same as he is in a better position than the duty holder. The float can bring it all back too knowing the duty holder will have to do it over the following week. The duty holder is the one that will have more trouble as the float won't be back on the round for a week so he can get away with it easier, hell you should see the amount of crap most of my rest day cover guys leave me even though I always leave a clear frame? :crazy:

You're right, he is, but he is of the opinion 'two wrongs don't make a right', and I agree. When it was happening to me a few years back, I just got on with it, refusing to let it bother me. Showing that it bothers you means you submit to their petty games and empowers them, giving them a sense of satisfaction, but saying nothing subjects you to their behaviour anyway - you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't!

it happens N our place the duty holder always brings back mail and packets before his day off and expects floater to do d2d for any given day and clear that section,he even leaves recorded stickers in bags that he has peeled off! Dom has been told about it but does nothing about it which I find such a cop out,it seems less ke the more objectionable you are the easier life you can have with the Royal Mail

12 Mar 2018, 22:53

Alexei wrote:

Integrity ,dignity ,and self respect are completely at odds with the current business culture. Lying ,cheating ,fiddling ,ducking and diving is the way forward. 'To thine own self be true' let the scum and snakes sort out their own shitfest.

12 Mar 2018, 23:27

We had somebody sacked for bringing back the mail for "awkward" delivery points on a regular basis last year. The management became suspicious when they were finding this mail tucked under his redirection wallets or in the IPS frame when they came in before we start in the morning. They marked his mail with a UV pen when he was away from his frame one day and found some of it, all for out of the way delivery points, the following morning.

13 Mar 2018, 00:26

We have a few ‘invincibles’ in our office, wilful delay, sign for everything, leave d2d in van, etc. Management either don’t care or don’t have the balls to deal with them.

13 Mar 2018, 14:43

Jpro747 wrote:We have a few ‘invincibles’ in our office, wilful delay, sign for everything, leave d2d in van, etc. Management either don’t care or don’t have the balls to deal with them.

Yup same here with the addition of 'absence experts' who only work for half the year and seem to get away with it year in year out. I am pretty sure we have on guy off again for his mothers funeral in Turkey, apparently she's died 3 times now? :shock:

13 Mar 2018, 15:42

Management job. Never dob another worker in. However when they question why you are going over your time on float it's a difficult call not to mention the contributory reason mentioned. You don't want to take a hit for someone else.

13 Mar 2018, 16:08

Not sure I could ever grass someone up, they'll get found out eventually, early doors an old timer tried to push some lost Mail on to me, so I offered him out in a supermarket car park, it did go round the office, just don't be a soft touch.

13 Mar 2018, 16:44

He might by telling them he is cutting off . Something is a bit odd about this

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2