ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 09:10

The royal mail ones are so uncomfortable for walking long distances.They have caused a rash on my legs, and just rub all day tried different sizes. Can I use some of my unbranded plain grey or black jogging shorts with zipped pockets? so much more comfortable.

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 09:17

Chances are no one will notice or care as long as you’re wearing everything else

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 09:18

If you have an accident when wearing non-regulation equipment they will throw the book at you. Don't give them any excuse.

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 09:25

LouBarlow wrote:If you have an accident when wearing non-regulation equipment they will throw the book at you. Don't give them any excuse.

did think about that but the discomfort is just unbearable. Got one of the busiest rounds because no one wants to do it, been thrown onto as a newbie.

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 09:39

Jamiechelt wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:If you have an accident when wearing non-regulation equipment they will throw the book at you. Don't give them any excuse.

did think about that but the discomfort is just unbearable. Got one of the busiest rounds because no one wants to do it, been thrown onto as a newbie.

Another option would be to wear your own and take the RM ones with you in case you have an accident (that sounds wrong!). You could then change into them and say you were wearing them.

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 10:09

LouBarlow wrote:
Jamiechelt wrote:

Another option would be to wear your own and take the RM ones with you in case you have an accident (that sounds wrong!). You could then change into them and say you were wearing them.

Just remember to do the trouser changing in the van and not outside some old lady's front room window! :nana

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 10:18

Not exactly true. People always quote this and are usually wrong. With any accident/incident there’s always a fact finding. If the wearing of non issued items contributed to the accident happening then yes. I wear non issued sock, watch, gloves etc. If I trip over wearing these it will not be deemed my fault and conducted.

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 10:20

Explain the issue to your friendly DOM and make certain you get it recorded. Then you can go a bit slower to avoid the problem and refer them to the known uniform problem when they ask why you're cutting off. :crazy:

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 10:22

number one wrote:

Not exactly true. People always quote this and are usually wrong. With any accident/incident there’s always a fact finding. If the wearing of non issued items contributed to the accident happening then yes. I wear non issued sock, watch, gloves etc. If I trip over wearing these it will not be deemed my fault and conducted.

I can only speak from experience. We had a guy who ditched his van and he was coded because he wasn't wearing a hi-viz.

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 10:32

LouBarlow wrote:
number one wrote:

I can only speak from experience. We had a guy who ditched his van and he was coded because he wasn't wearing a hi-viz.

I was told it's not compulsory to wear a hi-viz on duty. The only place we have to wear one is in the yard. It'd be interesting to know if this right so I can cover my arse in case I have to.

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 11:11

crimson king wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:
number one wrote:

I was told it's not compulsory to wear a hi-viz on duty. The only place we have to wear one is in the yard. It'd be interesting to know if this right so I can cover my arse in case I have to.

I've been told the same for what it's worth. This was a few years back so maybe the policy changed.

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 11:16

The whole uniform needs a revamp, the quality is very poor, the cut and choice of material is even worse,the footwear causes problems with your feet, the storm coat is worse than useless and was probably tested in a mail centre. The only thing half decent are the blue shirts Surely with their buying power Royal Mail could do a lot,lot better.

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 12:39

I've worn my own trousers for years, exactly because of the problems already highlighted, poor sizing means they're always either too loose or too tight and the crappy material gives my legs nappy rash, especially in the cold and wet weather.

The least they could do is give them semi-elasticated waist bands which would help a lot with the sizing issues.

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 13:05

Sweatpants are really comfy that's what I've got, no obvious branding so should be good.

Wearing own trousers

11 Mar 2018, 13:38

crimson king wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:
number one wrote:

If you are on a Rural delivery you should be wearing your Hi-Vis as you are getting in and out of the van all the time, it is in the Driver's handbook
The same if you do collections
If you are on a walking duty no it is not compulsory but is advised in low light or bad weather
In the yard yes it is compulsory
But probably as most offices this is not enforced by the DOM until something goes wrong, then it's "why were you not wearing your hi-vis?"
as he/she stands in the yard asking you without theirs ha ha

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3