ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PAY AND FOUR PILLARS AGREEMENT... HERE

Seniority query

13 Feb 2018, 16:33

I am a reserve on a FT contract with over 10yrs service. Due to someone leaving the business a duty will becoming vacant within the next few weeks,being the most senior reserve in the office i would like to sign for this duty but I am being told that this may not be possible as the person leaving is on a 30hr contract thus the walk is a 30hr duty. I’m struggling to see the relevance of this? Surely if I’m next in line for a walk then I should get first shout? Am I correct?

Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks

Seniority query

13 Feb 2018, 17:20

Cedar_Room wrote:I am a reserve on a FT contract with over 10yrs service. Due to someone leaving the business a duty will becoming vacant within the next few weeks,being the most senior reserve in the office i would like to sign for this duty but I am being told that this may not be possible as the person leaving is on a 30hr contract thus the walk is a 30hr duty. I’m struggling to see the relevance of this? Surely if I’m next in line for a walk then I should get first shout? Am I correct?

Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks

When the job comes up for signing, the most senior person to apply for the job will get it. If you want the job you can apply for the job, but expect your hours to drop down to 30 hours as that is what the job you are applying for works! Somehow I can't see you wanting to do this. You can't stay on 39 hours and and do a 30 hour job. You're just going to have to wait until a FT job comes up.
Last edited by I_Take_My_Breaks on 13 Feb 2018, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Seniority query

13 Feb 2018, 17:21

You can get the first shout if you are the most senior in the office, but if they advertise it as a 30hr duty then that's what it will be, you'll lose hours, and lose them voluntarily so no payment.

Seniority query

13 Feb 2018, 18:17

Hmmm. Not the answer I was looking for but thanks for the responses

Seniority query

13 Feb 2018, 18:51

Seniority seemed to got out of the window ages ago in the office I was in,at one time any duty that became vacant was always advertised and the most senior person always got it.Then it began to change,vacant duties were never advertised just given to who the manager wanted and if they didnt like you then you would not be considered even if you had many years of service.So very unfair but then RM dont give a toss about fairness :arrrghhh :no no

Seniority query

13 Feb 2018, 19:10

It doesn’t have to be the way other has stated but it requires more work from the managers to sort it out so they don’t usually bother. I am guessing the actual walk is no different for the 30hr contracted person than a walk that a full timer does. The only difference will be the indoor work (they probably start later). Delivery of the walk matters not as it’s the same. I will bet my wage that this “part time walk” has been covered by a full timer in the past for annual leave or days off. In that case did the full timer who was covering it only get paid 30hrs that week? I think not.

Seniority query

13 Feb 2018, 19:31

Cedar_Room wrote:Hmmm. Not the answer I was looking for but thanks for the responses

Put in for it.
Drop to 30 hour contract.
Then use your trolley and piss about, you know the drill, go for a smoke/wank whatever , don't do any IPS and spend all day throwing out 2 walks.
Book loads of overtime EVERY week.
Go and see Johnny Friendly(rep) after 6 months, take the new agreement with you. Bang on about Equality etc yadda yadda, hard done by etc etc.
Get made up to 39 hours. :roll:

Seniority query

13 Feb 2018, 20:32

number one wrote:It doesn’t have to be the way other has stated but it requires more work from the managers to sort it out so they don’t usually bother. I am guessing the actual walk is no different for the 30hr contracted person than a walk that a full timer does. The only difference will be the indoor work (they probably start later). Delivery of the walk matters not as it’s the same. I will bet my wage that this “part time walk” has been covered by a full timer in the past for annual leave or days off. In that case did the full timer who was covering it only get paid 30hrs that week? I think not.

I covered it less than a month ago on FT hours,you’re right

Seniority query

13 Feb 2018, 20:33

General Mannerheim wrote:
Cedar_Room wrote:Hmmm. Not the answer I was looking for but thanks for the responses

Put in for it.
Drop to 30 hour contract.
Then use your trolley and piss about, you know the drill, go for a smoke/wank whatever , don't do any IPS and spend all day throwing out 2 walks.
Book loads of overtime EVERY week.
Go and see Johnny Friendly(rep) after 6 months, take the new agreement with you. Bang on about Equality etc yadda yadda, hard done by etc etc.
Get made up to 39 hours. :roll:

Haha,good ol’Johnny Friendly

Seniority query

19 Feb 2018, 22:29

I would have thought they would use the 9 hours excess for IPS etc before commencing the 30 hr duty thus retaining your FT status. I believe that's how it works in my office. We have FT'ers on PT duties and vice versa. It's all comes down to the SIP figures.

Seniority query

20 Feb 2018, 19:03

If you’re the most senior reserve, you’re probably really good at switching last minute and know loads of the jobs. Bet they don’t want to lose you doing that.

I’ve always found being a great reserve hurts you long term..

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1