not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 08:38

I thought I would post on this subject as interesting to see others experiences.

I have been with RM a few months and joined on a 30 hour, 5 day week contract, 7am-1pm which I took as I liked the idea of having afternoons off and am not bothered about earning extra hours etc (managed to pay my mortgage off early).

I was put on a round with a 2pm finish when I first started without anyone asking if I was happy with this and the managers didnt even seem to think about the fact I was on a 1pm finish but I didnt kick off as wanted to settle in. Xmas was manic (4-6pm finishes) but I knew it would be. It has settled down now but I am still averaging a 2pm finish over the week (some days less some more). I am being paid for the extra time so thats not the issue but I cannot see I will ever have a week where I just work the hours I am contracted (and I am quick so its not a learning curve thing as others have commented how quick I have been completing the round). I have even had some full timers moan at me that I am finishing too quickly making them look bad even though I am finishing over my time.

There does not seem to be an alignment of peoples contracted hours with duties allocated from what I can see. Just seems a bit odd and results in a disparity between full timers and part timers. If RM want someone to work longer hours then surely they should offer them the right hours (or at least make it clear at interview that there is an expectation of overtime). I cannot be the only part-timer who doesnt want regular overtime and this must mean people leave because they are pressured into doing hours they did not sign up for? I am due to be trained up on some other duties soon so I can provide float cover and am worried some of them will be much later finishes than the one I am already doing :crazy:

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 08:47

Beware beware the more you offer, the more they will expect. And if you finish early then they will expect everyone to do the same, without extra money.

Cut off.

And I say that as a 70hr a week man. Avoid overperforming on indoor duties at all costs, else they will exploit you forever more. They will take and take until they break you.

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 09:26

joined on a 30 hour, 5 e week contract, 7am-1pm

That's a strange one.
What does your contract actually state?
Last edited by fishtank on 11 Feb 2018, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 09:34

fishtank wrote:
joined on a 30 hour, 5 e week contract, 7am-1pm

That's a strange one.
What does your contract actually state?

My contract states "your weekly hours of attendance will be 30 hours per week" but does not state start/finish time. The job advert was 7am-1pm, 5 days a week.

Some part timers are on 4 day weeks 7am-2.30pm but others are on the same as me.

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 10:13

Based on stuff over the years, even if one had a contract with concrete times there'd be a proviso somewhere "but in reality we can 'ask' you to attend 'whenever' cos, 'needs of the business'".

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 10:42

My first point of contact would be the rep, at the weekly resource meeting one of the topics of conversation should be aligning contracts with duties, it's unlikely that you'll ever finish at 1pm though. Duty structures and mail arrivals don't really make that possible but 8-2 or 8.30-2.30 would be a more sensible duty pattern.

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 10:56

fishtank wrote:My first point of contact would be the rep, at the weekly resource meeting one of the topics of conversation should be aligning contracts with duties, it's unlikely that you'll ever finish at 1pm though. Duty structures and mail arrivals don't really make that possible but 8-2 or 8.30-2.30 would be a more sensible duty pattern.

You could probably guarantee that no weekly resource meeting happens,despite them being mandatory. Hence the messy duties.

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 11:00

Gummage wrote:Beware beware the more you offer, the more they will expect. And if you finish early then they will expect everyone to do the same, without extra money.

Cut off.

And I say that as a 70hr a week man. Avoid overperforming on indoor duties at all costs, else they will exploit you forever more. They will take and take until they break you.

70 hour week man have a word with yeself gummage I no peoples curcumstances our different and its none of my business what hours you do but 70 hours a week ?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :Very Happy :Very Happy

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 11:18

maisymoo04 wrote:
70 hour week man have a word with yeself gummage I no peoples curcumstances our different and its none of my business what hours you do but 70 hours a week ?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :Very Happy :Very Happy

Is it ever enough, when its just enough?
If its never enough, why do we hang up on money?
Enough is enough, never enough
Last edited by Gummage on 12 Feb 2018, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 11:24

Thanks for all the feedback. most part timers at our office start at 7 as we do all the prep for our round before we go out. I think I will have a word with DOM to see if I can switch to a 4 day week (7-2.30) which is more in line with my hours and some of the other part time contracts. Now whether my DOM will be interested is another matter.

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 11:51

In our office we had been resistant to having any part time duties. The main reason being that there would not be any duty time available for any of us to prep the duty for part timers to come in & just pull out the mail. In short part time doesn't physically work within Royal mail in the strictest sense. In recent times some of us have chosen to go 'part time' but in essence they are actually on four full days per week so they prep their own duties then go out.
I don't understand why RM advertise and make duties that supposedly run to 1300. We haven't been finishing, at least officially, at that time for as long as I can remember. It is asking you to do something that is impossible to complete in the time set. I am sort of surprised they are paying you beyond 1300 if they think the duty can be done by 1300. I guess though they sort of have your duty on the cheap ( No offence intended!) in that really it should be a full time duty so they have some spare capacity to pay you for another hour. They would have you on different contract conditions I guess as well so they save more money there as well. RM try to make all the duties the same length but for whatever reason/s they usually don't end up the same. If you need to be back for 1300 and you signed for that time in your contract I would tell them you will be coming back with any mail undelivered at 1300. It's tricky though because you won't want to lose your job and they might take the hump. I don't understand regarding setting duties to officially finish at 1300 that the union rep doesn't stand up and point out it doesn't work.

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 11:58

mike_mlc wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. most part timers at our office start at 7 as we do all the prep for our round before we go out. I think I will have a word with DOM to see if I can switch to a 4 day week (7-2.30) which is more in line with my hours and some of the other part time contracts. Now whether my DOM will be interested is another matter.

:shock: :shock: :shock: " .....we do all the prep......". Do you throw the sequenced mail and everything else sorted in your DO and then do the redirections and pull out the mail ??? Are you expected to do all that and deliver it between 0700 & 1300 ??? Do you do the inward sorting as well ???? :no no

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 13:03

Celgar wrote:
mike_mlc wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. most part timers at our office start at 7 as we do all the prep for our round before we go out. I think I will have a word with DOM to see if I can switch to a 4 day week (7-2.30) which is more in line with my hours and some of the other part time contracts. Now whether my DOM will be interested is another matter.

:shock: :shock: :shock: " .....we do all the prep......". Do you throw the sequenced mail and everything else sorted in your DO and then do the redirections and pull out the mail ??? Are you expected to do all that and deliver it between 0700 & 1300 ??? Do you do the inward sorting as well ???? :no no

yes we throw everything in the frame and do redirections then bundle up. the only thing we dont do is the IPS as the full timers do that.

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 13:13

Hmmm. That is really bad. In my opinion RM is really taking the **** on that unless your office has different sized walks which I haven't heard of happening. You must be REALLY fast!!!! That wouldn't be possible to do on any of the walks in our DO. Something is really up the creek there. Just goes to prove there is always somebody else worse off than yourself.

Part Timer Expectations

11 Feb 2018, 13:35

Celgar wrote:Hmmm. That is really bad. In my opinion RM is really taking the **** on that unless your office has different sized walks which I haven't heard of happening. You must be REALLY fast!!!! That wouldn't be possible to do on any of the walks in our DO. Something is really up the creek there. Just goes to prove there is always somebody else worse off than yourself.

As pointed out in the original post they are working from 0700 to 1400.
7 hrs is plenty time to prep and deliver a duty, My day is only 7 hrs 48 mins and I'm full-time and have 2 duties to prep as well as some IPS.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4