ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

A recent tribunal vs Royal mail...

12 Jan 2018, 20:54

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 6_Full.pdf

Saddens me

13 Jan 2018, 14:11

Perhaps if the matter had been investigated properly in the first place ,an ET would not have been necessary

13 Jan 2018, 15:25

Got to have a laugh on RMs investigative HR system.
Fact findin* on a fair and balanced level footing ? My arse. RM appointed hatchet men to defend other hatchet men.
The CWU literally have no say or input, staff with balls to seek some justice via the HR route are fighting a big task.
RM use their own bully boy tactics, union agreed loopholes, and allow wolves to decide on the fate of lambs.
Proof of guilt is soooo easy on those pesky, militant, trouble making young sheep, led by toothless shepherds.
Grrr.

13 Jan 2018, 16:59

Taken the time to read this. Here are some salient points
1 RM internal investigation was a joke (surprise)
2 The investigator believed everything the manager told her(surprise surprise) & her investigation was not good enough (ruled the panel)
3 The poor guy suffered vile abuse/harassment & bullying over a prolonged period of time from the manager that had a profound effect on his mental well being
4 Despite clear evidence of 3 above the tribunal ruled that this didn't amount to a breach of confidence & trust between RM and employee :d'oh!
5 the manager is still employed by RM (says it all) :no no

13 Jan 2018, 17:10

ArthurPewty wrote:Taken the time to read this. Here are some salient points
1 RM internal investigation was a joke (surprise)
2 The investigator believed everything the manager told her(surprise surprise) & her investigation was not good enough (ruled the panel)
3 The poor guy suffered vile abuse/harassment & bullying over a prolonged period of time from the manager that had a profound effect on his mental well being
4 Despite clear evidence of 3 above the tribunal ruled that this didn't amount to a breach of confidence & trust between RM and employee :d'oh!
5 the manager is still employed by RM (says it all) :no no

Agreed.

However the case was presented principally as one of racial abuse. Had the case been one of general bullying and harassment, it's possible the findings would have been different. Which is silly, I grant you.

I know it looks peculiar that the tribunal can criticise the manager involved and RM's investigation and also acknowledge that the employee suffered distress but also find that the dismissal was not constructive, but the law, especially civil law, is not a very nuanced instrument.

13 Jan 2018, 19:41

Had he not given notice the end result may well of been different

14 Jan 2018, 20:00

So RM management can Harass Bully and Demean you to the point of Mental Breakdown as long as they don't refer to your race or ethnicity :sad:

15 Jan 2018, 16:42

magicw wrote:So RM management can Harass Bully and Demean you to the point of Mental Breakdown as long as they don't refer to your race or ethnicity :sad:

That's not what this tribunal result means. Part of the reason for the outcome is the presentation of the case as one involving race when the tribunal found there was no evidence to support that (that doesn't mean the complainant was deliberately lying, he may have been so stressed he misremembered what was said). They also found that while the behaviour of the manager was unprofessional and the initial RM investigation inadequate, that there was no deliberate attempt to force the employee out of the business (constructive dismissal).

There's little doubt in my mind that he's been badly treated by RM but it's unfortunate that the manner of his departure determined the outcome of the tribunal in the way it did. I don't agree with the outcome myself, but the civil law is often quite a blunt instrument really.

I suppose one lesson that might be drawn is that when a manager is behaving unprofessionally (eg swearing a lot, dressing staff down in public, etc), all those present have a duty to each other to come together and report it as a body. Even if at first this is informally to the DOM asking her or him to get the manager to conduct himself better - and then more formally if the behaviour persists.

15 Jan 2018, 18:09

magicw wrote:So RM management can Harass Bully and Demean you to the point of Mental Breakdown as long as they don't refer to your race or ethnicity :sad:

I wonder if RM management are proud of themselves by all this awful,needless bullying and harrasment of their employees,I have said it before and will say it again what goes around comes around,it always does and I wouldnt want to be in their shoes when it does!

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1