not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE


Early IPS sorting

11 Jan 2018, 17:29

Can anyone give me some information on this. We have a lad in our office who is a quiet lad. He's officially part time but is very good at his job and has been working full time hours for 3 years now.

He should be full time but that's another story. However he was fuming this morning. When I asked him what was wrong he said that he has been doing the early ips sorting for 6 months now but this week a guy has come back off long term sick and complained that a part timer is doing "full time overtime". The dom has taken him off it and put the other bloke on.

Normally I wouldn't get involved but this guy is a good fella and the returning bloke is a nasty piece of work.

So my question is. Is there anything that says early ips is for full timers only? The 'PT' fella is actually a far better sorter.

Id like to come back with something to back this guy up if possible.

Early IPS sorting

11 Jan 2018, 17:39

Theres nothing at all that states a full timer should be on the ips infact if anything a part timer shoukd be allowed to make his hours up to full time before a full timer get these hours and a disagreement can be put in for this through the area rep as this is victimisation for part time staff

Early IPS sorting

11 Jan 2018, 18:15

The union rep should have arranged for the lad to officially be on full time contract if he has been doing it anyway for the past three years. I would get him to chase that up asap!
Sounds like the guy who has just come back from long term sick should be laid off. The union tends to defend these kind of people though so it won't be easy.

Early IPS sorting

11 Jan 2018, 18:37

All overtime should be shared out between all those staff who want to work equally.

FT or PT should not matter when it comes to working extra.

The full timer has no right to say 'It's Full Timer Overtime'
Last edited by I_Take_My_Breaks on 11 Jan 2018, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Early IPS sorting

11 Jan 2018, 18:38

What is it with some guys on here with their opinions being thrown out without the relevant facts.

Bigal says " if anything a part timer should be allowed to make his hours up to full time before a full timer get these hours and a disagreement can be put in for this through the area rep as this is victimisation for part time staff"
Wrong... Everyone is entitled to the same access to overtime on an equal basis. Everyone has a basic contracted hours and neither FT or PT should be given OT in an unfair allocation, for example, he / she to make their hours up to FT before a FT should get any.

Celgar then says "Sounds like the guy who has just come back from long term sick should be laid off. The union tends to defend these kind of people though so it won't be easy.
How can you come to that assumption when you don't even know anything about the guy or his health history?

Some guys here want to get a life and stop stirring things up that they know nothing about just to throw their tuppence in.

Early IPS sorting

11 Jan 2018, 21:22

Celtic postman you may want to look that up

Early IPS sorting

11 Jan 2018, 22:16

theres always a di@k who opens his trap about should be full time overtime anyway if hes just come back from long term sick whats he doing overtime for should be on a rehab shouldn't he ? :shock: :shock:

Early IPS sorting

11 Jan 2018, 22:36

Celgar wrote:The union rep should have arranged for the lad to officially be on full time contract if he has been doing it anyway for the past three years. I would get him to chase that up asap!
Sounds like the guy who has just come back from long term sick should be laid off. The union tends to defend these kind of people though so it won't be easy.

so anyone on long term sick should be throw on scrapheap without any hope for the future :thumbdown

Early IPS sorting

12 Jan 2018, 00:59

Celgar wrote:The union rep should have arranged for the lad to officially be on full time contract if he has been doing it anyway for the past three years.


Full time contracts are offered on seniority. Someone who has been there 4 years would get the chance before him.

Early IPS sorting

12 Jan 2018, 17:51

NewPostieUK wrote:Full time contracts are offered on seniority. Someone who has been there 4 years would get the chance before him.


They shouldn't really be. they should be offered to those actually doing the hours regularly

Early IPS sorting

12 Jan 2018, 18:37

Celtic Postman wrote:What is it with some guys on here with their opinions being thrown out without the relevant facts.

Bigal says " if anything a part timer should be allowed to make his hours up to full time before a full timer get these hours and a disagreement can be put in for this through the area rep as this is victimisation for part time staff"
Wrong... Everyone is entitled to the same access to overtime on an equal basis. Everyone has a basic contracted hours and neither FT or PT should be given OT in an unfair allocation, for example, he / she to make their hours up to FT before a FT should get any.

Celgar then says "Sounds like the guy who has just come back from long term sick should be laid off. The union tends to defend these kind of people though so it won't be easy.
How can you come to that assumption when you don't even know anything about the guy or his health history?

Some guys here want to get a life and stop stirring things up that they know nothing about just to throw their tuppence in.


:Applause

Early IPS sorting

12 Jan 2018, 19:42

Thanks for the replies. The fella was off today but I'll let him know that there is no full time and part time overtime. If there was I'm sure someone would have posted a link to an official agreement by now.

Just to clear things up the full time contract would go to a more senior person than him so that's why that is another story really. Not my place to go into too much detail on that.

Also the guy coming back off ling term sick has been back 3 weeks now and has been off for stress related issues so he's not been on light duties. I think this is why DOM is bending over backwards for him too.

Early IPS sorting

12 Jan 2018, 20:17

DGH wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:Full time contracts are offered on seniority. Someone who has been there 4 years would get the chance before him.


They shouldn't really be. they should be offered to those actually doing the hours regularly


Wrong, seniority is the blunt method used, but is the only way you can stop management favouring those who 'help' things along more by being totally compliant to requests and have no other life. In all fairness, decent managers (who are like hen's teeth in RM) would have some kind of rotation system. Quick sorters sometimes appear quick because they are coming in early.

Early IPS sorting

13 Jan 2018, 03:20

redneck wrote:
DGH wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:Full time contracts are offered on seniority. Someone who has been there 4 years would get the chance before him.


They shouldn't really be. they should be offered to those actually doing the hours regularly


Wrong, seniority is the blunt method used, but is the only way you can stop management favouring those who 'help' things along more by being totally compliant to requests and have no other life. In all fairness, decent managers (who are like hen's teeth in RM) would have some kind of rotation system. Quick sorters sometimes appear quick because they are coming in early.


Also, those doing overtime regularly are the reason full time contracts are offered so rarely.

Early IPS sorting

13 Jan 2018, 10:38

It depends on what the operational need is.
I have no idea what the early IPS is in your office but if it was for example 4 - 6 then how could a part timer who starts at 9.30 do that overtime unless they lived next door to the DO and could go home between 6 and 9.30?
Or do they want to be paid from 4 - 9.30 when operationally there is only a need to add 2 hours to the indoor operation and not 5h30?
If they added the 2 hours from 7.30 to 9.30 to accommodate the p/t member of staff it may mean the IPS over running, people getting out late and either claiming extended or cutting off?

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3