ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Parental leave

10 Jan 2018, 20:07

So am I right in thinking that you can apply for unpaid parental leave. E.g. In the summer holidays due to lack of childcare etc and others holiday is not taken into account..?
Has anyone had experience of taking 2 weeks or so of unpaid parental leave. I suspect my dom will fight me to the death for it and I just want to know the ins and outs.

Is it really a thing or just a thing on paper but in offices different as with most things .....

Parental leave

10 Jan 2018, 20:18

I have found the policy at a glance but can't access the full policy. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would super appreciate it. I don't dare ask my dom untill he's allocated my a annual leave....

Parental leave

10 Jan 2018, 20:43

Parental leave is not used this way. It’s for last minute problems such as looking after ill children or if a child minder has told you at the last minute they are unable to look after your chidren for one reason or another. Saying you can’t find a childminder so far in advance and for 2 weeks looks like you just want 2 weeks of in the school holidays.

Parental leave

10 Jan 2018, 21:22

number one wrote:Parental leave is not used this way. It’s for last minute problems such as looking after ill children or if a child minder has told you at the last minute they are unable to look after your chidren for one reason or another. Saying you can’t find a childminder so far in advance and for 2 weeks looks like you just want 2 weeks of in the school holidays.

That's dependent leave. That can often be paid leave for a couple of days in emergency situations although it doesn't have to be paid, some businesses do pay.

Parental leave is different. Not sure of the exact figures but a parent is entitled to something like 18 weeks unpaid leave up until the child is 16 years old.

Parental leave

10 Jan 2018, 21:51

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Bei ... ummary.pdf

A bit of info here (I think you may have read this) but it looks like you’re going to have to ask the dom for the full policy.

Parental leave

10 Jan 2018, 22:58

You want special leave which is time off without pay or use your annual leave, or apply for family friendly/flexible working...
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Fle ... ummary.pdf

Examples of flexible working include: part-time working, job sharing, term-time working, staggered
hours, swapping hours or shifts.

Parental leave

11 Jan 2018, 09:43

Hi you can take parental leave whenever you like.
you just need to give them notice
It can't be refused by your manager it's a legal requirement only thing the manager can do is delay the leave as the last resort but he's only allowed to do that if he can show its gonna effect the business short of staff
I've taken 3 weeks off in august unpaid parental leave with out any problems

Parental leave

11 Jan 2018, 15:43

Thanks guys that's the one the advance notice unpaid parental leave.
My dom is not going to be a happy bunny...... crazy how offices can be so different.... If anyone can find the full policy id super appreciate it so i could be ready for the no haha x

Parental leave

11 Jan 2018, 18:06

Unpaid parental leave https://www.gov.uk/parental-leave

Time off for family and dependants https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants

Parental leave

16 Jan 2018, 15:12

I took 2 weeks ordinary parental leave last summer but it was only granted after a real nasty battle with the DOM. He didn't seem to be in any way familiar with the policy and amongst other things told me that if I applied for it again in the future that my application would be refused ( which he is not allowed to do). Our local union reps also seemed unfamiliar with the policy and offered very little assistance. Should've raised a complaint at the time but didn't want an ongoing feud spoiling my summer.

Hope it goes smoothly for you but if not then do dig your heels in.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1