not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Applications.

10 Jan 2018, 16:24

Just
Last edited by BingBong on 18 Jan 2018, 11:27, edited 2 times in total.

Picking a duty/walk.

10 Jan 2018, 16:43

This is a thing that annoys me too, a driver can take a non-driving duty so there are 2 drivers working together.

But a full-timer(me) can't take a "part-time" duty.

Toon Army!

Picking a duty/walk.

10 Jan 2018, 16:50

yes but seniority rules hip hip hooray :cuppa

Applying for a duty/walk.

10 Jan 2018, 17:55

Yes they should..& I personally think seniority is a complete load of crap

Picking a duty/walk.

10 Jan 2018, 18:01

lcook282 wrote:This is a thing that annoys me too, a driver can take a non-driving duty so there are 2 drivers working together.

But a full-timer(me) can't take a "part-time" duty.

Toon Army!

A non-driver could take a driving duty, if they bothered to learn to drive, so why shouldn't a driver take a non-driving duty ? :cuppa

Picking a duty/walk.

10 Jan 2018, 18:08

Lounge Lizard wrote:so why shouldn't a driver take a non-driving duty ? :cuppa

It depends if they were specifically employed as a driver. Most of the new starts for the last 10 years have driving as part of their job description, If the business wanted to be awkward they could hold them to that. It would depend if an office was short of drivers, unlikely but possible.

10 Jan 2018, 18:50

Also, a driver taking a non-driving duty needs a shake of the head. They'll be prime meat for when the bosses need a driver to cover something. They'd be like a standby reserve. :thumbdown

10 Jan 2018, 21:51

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Also, a driver taking a non-driving duty needs a shake of the head. They'll be prime meat for when the bosses need a driver to cover something. They'd be like a standby reserve. :thumbdown

Depends how much they kick up a fuss, we all know at least one duty holder that come in on their day off and the day off cover has to move instead

10 Jan 2018, 23:37

RM doesn't employ people who don't have a full UK driving license. They haven't for years. Granted you have to be checked again to make sure but you still have to have passed the driving test.

11 Jan 2018, 00:54

Celgar wrote:RM doesn't employ people who don't have a full UK driving license. They haven't for years. Granted you have to be checked again to make sure but you still have to have passed the driving test.

Lies

11 Jan 2018, 08:49

Kobi72 wrote:Yes they should..& I personally think seniority is a complete load of crap

Do you think being the managers drinking buddy, friends relation, friend of a friend or kiss ar#e is a better way of filling vacancies

11 Jan 2018, 16:16

gb93 wrote:Do you think being the managers drinking buddy, friends relation, friend of a friend or kiss ar#e is a better way of filling vacancies

Certainly not. And yet somehow a multitude of other businesses seem to manage to general satisfaction without seniority. In fairness it's not the principle of seniority that's an issue - most workplaces have some kind of informal seniority system. But what no business in their right mind does is allow the most experienced workers to pick the easiest jobs. Which RM does. While it's certainly true that in many workplaces newer workers get more than their share of the menial tasks, they're not generally lumbered with heavier workloads or to do a multitude of different tasks when more experienced staff are better suited to that.

It is the institutionalised nature of seniority that is the problem in RM. That and the infantile 'well I had to go through it' that is regularly trotted out as justification for junior staff having the worst (ie reserve or huge delivery span) jobs.

11 Jan 2018, 16:57

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Also, a driver taking a non-driving duty needs a shake of the head. They'll be prime meat for when the bosses need a driver to cover something. They'd be like a standby reserve. :thumbdown

If your a driver that picks a walking duty just refuse to have your license check next time they ask, every six months at my DO

11 Jan 2018, 17:16

But what no business in their right mind does is allow the most experienced workers to pick the easiest jobs.

That's not a seniority issue, it's a balance of workload issue. The whole premise and the business position is that all duties are equal therefore seniority is not seen as a "perk", it's simply a means for allocating duties.

Where we run into difficulties is

A) Poor planning and revision, lack of balance in workload and the "wrong" people involved in the revision process

B) Member's perception of what is an easy duty, the grass is always greener syndrome. A reserve will always take longer on a duty than a duty holder, that's just experience but in my office junior members and reserves don't get dumped on the "worst" duties because reserves cover all duties and they're always paired with a duty holder.

11 Jan 2018, 17:32

jd9442 wrote:
Celgar wrote:RM doesn't employ people who don't have a full UK driving license. They haven't for years. Granted you have to be checked again to make sure but you still have to have passed the driving test.

Lies

That's a bit too strong. Also, we are here to debate so how about expounding why you think its a lie instead of a mistake in a word choice.

BTW. He is right since about a year before CDVs were introduced Royal Mail haven't hired anyone, or at least the vast majority, in deliveries that doesn't hold a valid UK driving licence.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2