ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR ARRANGEMENTS 2017/18 INCLUDING PAY ARRANGEMENTS... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : SEVERE WEATHER THREADS : UPDATED 2017... HERE

Newbie starting this week...

05 Dec 2017, 14:17

Hey all, I have my 'Welcome Day' on Thursday and start the following day as a postie with driving (25 hours a week, 6 month contract).

Obviously I'm aware I'm being thrown in the deep end with Christmas just around the corner, and with plenty of negativity around here it has me slightly worried, however I'm also optimistic and excited too. But, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for starting at this busy time of year?

I feel like I've prepared in terms of equipment (cargo trousers/waterproofs/warm clothes/insoles etc.), gone through the forums here and I'd consider myself healthy and 'fit' but any info would be much appreciated. I feel like once I've got through Christmas, come the new year it'll be easier!

Cheers in advance!

06 Dec 2017, 15:57

Being fit and healthy is half the battle, the other half of the battle sits behind a desk all day and tells you that you can complete every day :nana

You’ll be fine, legs and feet will struggle at first, January is still busy but with different types of mail, you’ll never realise how important it is to have holiday brochures in January. :arrrghhh

06 Dec 2017, 19:15

Good luck in your new job, yes your legs,feet,knees will probably ache but you'll get used to it, thing that's annoying me now is these low hours contracts, 25hrs assume over 5 days so 5hrs per day less your 30min break = 4.5 hrs = not enough time to do the work you'll be expected to complete !

06 Dec 2017, 19:36

sometimes i think those on the 25 hour contract are in a decent spot right now, the managers always seem to need people to stay out, or take someone elses cut off out. So the option is there to make up hours if you choose.

06 Dec 2017, 20:11

Top Tip:

Wear a hat with a peak. It helps keep the rain / sleet / snow off your face, and helps keep your hood up/ out of your eyes.

06 Dec 2017, 20:47

Get a diary and keep a record of all hours worked. Make sure you claim and are paid for all the time you work including all breaks you are entitled to. Don’t rely on your manager to give you this info. Join the union.

06 Dec 2017, 22:42

Good luck,

If you want to work overtime then most offices have plenty available especially if you are happy to do all sorts (ie delivery, early prep, collections)
Agree with the peaked cap comment, make sure you have a RM one ordered if you haven’t already got one.
Definitely write down all extra hours worked and check against pay every week (overtime a week in hand, wages paid current week)
DO NOT join the union. Waste of space in most offices so you might as well keep all of your wages yourself.

06 Dec 2017, 22:49

joewyan wrote:Good luck,

DO NOT join the union. Waste of space in most offices so you might as well keep all of your wages yourself.

Waste of wages which would be a lot lower without the CWU you mean!!!
What a joke of a post

07 Dec 2017, 10:14

union is a waste of time , but you need it as a go between . ( if line managers did their job you wouldn't need them )
all one big rip off

07 Dec 2017, 12:15

I started with RM twenty years ago on the 9th December and I'm still on the same job although at a different DO to where I started at. I don't think starting the job at Christmas time is particularly a bad or a good thing. But if you can cope at this time of year then you should be fine for the rest of the year.

The hoods on the stormproof coats are designed more to not impede visibility than to actually keep you dry and are infamous for continually blowing off in the wind. Don't even bother with the lighter anorak version though as the rain gets through the material very easily. If you like wearing hats then the tip about peaked caps is the best idea I've read here.

Most posties I know have joined the union and the main reason for joining is to defend yourself if things go south and you are not at fault. There are some really c*** and some really corrupt managers about but also some good managers and it's a coin flip as to which type you get dealt. My first manager tried to get me to leave the job because I was too slow. This was largely because I was on a different walk every day though. Anyway I wasn't in the union but I just ignored him and he obviously knew he couldn't just fire me on that. He even said at one point to not tell the union what he was saying to me. He retired and I didn't get any more managerial hassle and left to another DO where I could have my own walk and no longer be a cover duty.

Union membership is sort of like a Teflon coating and I have seen postmen get away with a lot of blamable stuff. It can also be really hard to get rid of bullies and lazy people but on whole it is a good protection system to have.

07 Dec 2017, 21:14

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated! I'll definitely be using the cap idea and of course logging all my overtime.

Welcome Day went well today, found it more informative than I was expecting, and had a CWU rep come in to speak to us. I did decide to sign up, thought it'd be better to be a member than not and can always leave if I feel it's not worth it.

The CWU rep who gave the chat said my DO is a good one, and he introduced me to my area rep who mentioned my DO rep was good as well, so feeling optimistic!

Also, the guy who gave the presentation mentioned we won't be out delivering until 5-7 days in the job and we shouldn't be out and about on our own for around 6 weeks... Can't see that happening with what I've read on here??

Any idea when I'll likely have my 'driving test' as well, will that be pretty soon or can it take some time? I'm guessing they'll want me driving pretty sharpish! <<< For them, not in the van...
Last edited by whosBenj on 07 Dec 2017, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

07 Dec 2017, 21:17

whosBenj wrote:
The CWU rep who gave the chat said my DO is a good one, and he introduced me to my area rep who mentioned my DO rep was good as well, so feeling optimistic!

Also, the guy who gave the presentation mentioned we won't be out delivering until 5-7 days in the job and we shouldn't be out and about on our own for around 6 weeks... Can't see that happening with what I've read on here??

from what youve said you may have gotten in a good office if the reps are saying so its a very good sign, its very possible that they wont send you out alone for that long if so.

07 Dec 2017, 21:52

whosBenj wrote:..................we won't be out delivering until 5-7 days in the job and we shouldn't be out and about on our own for around 6 weeks.....

It was about 5 and 6 for me too - meaning 5 hours until I was out delivering and 6 hours until I was out on my own - "You can see
how to post a letter through a letterbox just watch out for dogs!"

07 Dec 2017, 22:10

Unless you've been very, very lucky and got the only decent DO in the country, you'll be out day one on your own with minimal guidance.
Your driver partner is going to be the most useful person to you and I sincerely hope you get a good one.
I also heard all that guff about being eased into the job but it just doesn't happen and this experience was verified by every (and I mean all) the others in the DO, many of them came from other DOs and the story was no different.
If it all goes as you've been told then great but be prepared for the worse.
Sorry to be a downer but reality is as it is.

More positively,
use a good waterproof hat with a brim,
Thick, good quality walking socks,
Trim those toe nails but not too excessively,
Wear layers that you can easily remove and add as needed (use a spare bag on the LWT)
USE A LIGHTWEIGHT TROLLEY
Make certain that you take your breaks - no matter how much mail or what your 'partner' suggests,
when bundling up, make smaller bundles if possible. Your arms will thank you. When the elastic bands break there is less to scrape off the floor ( in the wet & dark),

07 Dec 2017, 22:30

I started end of November 4 years ago. Christmas will be out of the way soon and everything gradually calms down and less hectic. If you get through the next few weeks you will be fine.
I have a notepad that i write out how to do all new (to me) deliveries. It is a lot to take in when you are out and harder when you are then on your own so at least I always have a note of how to tie up the delivery.
Good luck hope it all goes well

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2