ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Striking but not picketing, is that accepted?

11 Oct 2017, 17:26

Having never been through a strike myself I was talking to a couple of members of staff who don't live in the area who are going to strike but will not turn up for the picket line, is this unacceptable or acceptable because the way they see it is that they are still making a point striking but just plan to do other things with their day.

11 Oct 2017, 17:42

its acceptable, most people arent going to be annoyed by them not showing, some hard liners may be, but theyre in the minority. A lot of people dont tend to show up at the gate, its nice if you do show up of course but its not as expected as not working those days.

11 Oct 2017, 17:44

entirely your choice to turn up or not, some may not agree but refuse to cross a picket line, some may enjoy an extra lay in?
it's always a good craic even if you bob down for an hour
don't leave the country, be in more bother if it got called off last minute and you're in amsterdam on a mucky weekend :left:

11 Oct 2017, 17:56

I think there was some new rule with the government's recent anti-strike laws regarding numbers on the picket line.

I remember thinking that if our whole office stood peacefully on the gate in protest you could find the coppers called in to make you go away. I need to check that, more googling required...

11 Oct 2017, 18:03

Code_of_Practice_on_Picketing.pdf

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

11 Oct 2017, 18:05

Here's what I was looking for:

https://www.gov.uk/industrial-action-strikes/going-on-strike-and-picketing

No more than six to a picket line, or be prepared for the old bill to move you on.

Edit. Sorry POSTMAN our posts crossed. Yours seems more thorough but mine is the brief version I think!

11 Oct 2017, 18:33

It's like a Royal Mail doc lol ''usually'' there should be no more than 6...
Anyway, rule of thumb over the years, there has always been over 6 on a line.

11 Oct 2017, 18:46

Are you allowed into the RM premises when on strike?

11 Oct 2017, 18:47

Yeah, but isn't this a new rule made specifically to castrate strike powers? Just because strikes in the 90s had 40 on the picket line doesn't mean that it would be tolerated nowadays - we're in a Brave New World now and workers' rights come second priority to the service they are providing, apparently.
Last edited by wannabeek on 11 Oct 2017, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

11 Oct 2017, 18:48

norm wrote:Are you allowed into the RM premises when on strike?

Rule of thumb no! We've a Q&A guide which will go up tomorrow...................depending on the high court result. :nervous

11 Oct 2017, 19:20

Just a note :-) Sometimes a strike can be called off at short notice so you must be ready to turn up for your shift. ie: dont book up and go away for the weekend.

11 Oct 2017, 19:37

POSTMAN wrote:It's like a Royal Mail doc lol ''usually'' there should be no more than 6...
Anyway, rule of thumb over the years, there has always been over 6 on a line.

The official rules are..
6 official pickets.
They get the armbands.
2 chefs.
They get the bbq going.
1 DJ.
Someone to run to the shop for smokes and sweets.
20 good looking posties to make the photos in the local rag look classy.
Some random dude in a Moya wig.

11 Oct 2017, 19:47

You have that many good looking posties? Wow. We're gonna struggle to find candidates for that dept.

10 who aren't fugglies is going to be a challenge...
Last edited by wannabeek on 11 Oct 2017, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

11 Oct 2017, 19:48

Watch out for the blacked out vans carrying strike breakers in to work.

11 Oct 2017, 19:48

i have a 35 mile round trip to my office. I will strike but wont picket. I'm not going to lose that fuel cost on top of two days pay.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2