ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE


Later Starts

09 Sep 2017, 21:18

Why have they got to push back Mail delivery by 2 hours to capture later parcels? Why can't they have parcels and Mail as separate deliveries?

Would it not make more sense to only deliver the Mail and parcels you can fit in your bag? And have oversize delivered later on in the day as a separate shift? Or am I missing something?

Also, if Parcelforce and Royal Mail are part of the same company then why are they competing against each other instead of giving parcels to Parcelforce and letters to Royal Mail? What difference does it make if one part of the company makes a loss while the other one keeps both afloat by making twice the profit?


Later Starts

09 Sep 2017, 21:43

To make more money for ther shareholders, the way u say is right but costs more money, there only interested in making money for the shareholders, but that not working the shares have nosedived recently.

Later Starts

09 Sep 2017, 21:52

my point exactly, later acceptence times of parcels to capture more market share yea sure why not.

not have a knock on effect and lumber all the new work on postmen that are struggling with enough as it is.

set up a new parcel division , merge parcel force with rm employ new staff to take any parcel that cannot fit through a letter box...become number 1 in the parcel game

late starts will spell the end to amny postmen i know.

Rm had not taken into consideration peoples travel time and expense to and from work will greatly increase, rush hour traffic.....

working in the dark is no joy and i vowed i will never do it again......

Later Starts

09 Sep 2017, 22:00

lightningpostman wrote:my point exactly, later acceptence times of parcels to capture more market share yea sure why not.

not have a knock on effect and lumber all the new work on postmen that are struggling with enough as it is.

set up a new parcel division , merge parcel force with rm employ new staff to take any parcel that cannot fit through a letter box...become number 1 in the parcel game

late starts will spell the end to amny postmen i know.

Rm had not taken into consideration peoples travel time and expense to and from work will greatly increase, rush hour traffic.....

working in the dark is no joy and i vowed i will never do it again......


If your'e not willing to change then they'll sell off the parcels business for a huge amount - huge windfall to shareholders !
Adapt or die !

Later Starts

09 Sep 2017, 22:19

The Postman wrote:Why have they got to push back Mail delivery by 2 hours to capture later parcels? Why can't they have parcels and Mail as separate deliveries?

Would it not make more sense to only deliver the Mail and parcels you can fit in your bag? And have oversize delivered later on in the day as a separate shift? Or am I missing something?

Also, if Parcelforce and Royal Mail are part of the same company then why are they competing against each other instead of giving parcels to Parcelforce and letters to Royal Mail? What difference does it make if one part of the company makes a loss while the other one keeps both afloat by making twice the profit?


sensible post !

Later Starts

09 Sep 2017, 22:25

ernieshoe wrote:
lightningpostman wrote:my point exactly, later acceptence times of parcels to capture more market share yea sure why not.

not have a knock on effect and lumber all the new work on postmen that are struggling with enough as it is.

set up a new parcel division , merge parcel force with rm employ new staff to take any parcel that cannot fit through a letter box...become number 1 in the parcel game

late starts will spell the end to amny postmen i know.

Rm had not taken into consideration peoples travel time and expense to and from work will greatly increase, rush hour traffic.....

working in the dark is no joy and i vowed i will never do it again......


If your'e not willing to change then they'll sell off the parcels business for a huge amount - huge windfall to shareholders !
Adapt or die !

Die :thumbup

Later Starts

09 Sep 2017, 22:40

we are struggling now to make 9 AM special deliveries :sad:
so make us start 2 hours later to give us 1/2 an hour to make our 9AM special deliveries :nana
Muppets

Later Starts

09 Sep 2017, 23:02

could do something similar to the Christmas arrangements.....have part time staff delivering parcels from 1pm-8pm. advertise the roles in each depot as just a parcel duty and then people know what they are signing up for, it may actually suit people. posties can just concentrate on letters and the usual amount of parcels that are built into the walk. I've always to said there should be at least one part time parcel driver in each office (that's busy enough) to deal with all the excess parcels, regs etc they end up paying out on overtime anyway..

Later Starts

10 Sep 2017, 00:15

postmandick wrote:we are struggling now to make 9 AM special deliveries :sad:
so make us start 2 hours later to give us 1/2 an hour to make our 9AM special deliveries :nana
Muppets

If the pipeline gets pushed back two hours then you probably won't get the 9am specials in the DO before 9am

Later Starts

10 Sep 2017, 06:10

Never mind starting 2 hours later... our area rep reckons ultimately RM would want to readjust the pipeline to see us starting work at 2 pm!!

Later Starts

10 Sep 2017, 07:04

If they separated the parcels from the letters there are 2 basic problems.

1. If you have less attendance calls then you either have to have a bigger round or you have to have everyone on a part time contract.
2. Our competitors are seriously cheaper in the parcel market, so either the new parcel division is going to have to have similar terms and conditions to them or they won't actually capture any of the work.

RM works because we do letters and parcels.

Later Starts

10 Sep 2017, 07:57

The only reason our competitors are cheaper in the parcels market is due to the often illegally low pay and abysmal T&C's that their ''self employed'' workforce are operating under.

If the government act on the results of the Taylor Review into the ''gig economy'' (and I admit that is a big IF)... then our competitors will struggle to be so competitive.

Later Starts

10 Sep 2017, 08:26

Lets not forget its only the "next day delivery" parcels that we are going after, there's no reason why 2-3 parcel duties per 100 duties in a office could not be put in, these could be part-time as well, no need to change everyones hours just for a few parcels.

Later Starts

10 Sep 2017, 08:40

The Postman wrote:Why have they got to push back Mail delivery by 2 hours to capture later parcels? Why can't they have parcels and Mail as separate deliveries?

Would it not make more sense to only deliver the Mail and parcels you can fit in your bag? And have oversize delivered later on in the day as a separate shift? Or am I missing something?

Also, if Parcelforce and Royal Mail are part of the same company then why are they competing against each other instead of giving parcels to Parcelforce and letters to Royal Mail? What difference does it make if one part of the company makes a loss while the other one keeps both afloat by making twice the profit?

As far as I am aware, businesses are not allowed to cross subsidise, I.e. Profits from one part cannot offset the losses from the other part.
As for 9am special deliveries,they will probably just scrap the service.

Later Starts

10 Sep 2017, 09:09

Supermac0151 wrote:could do something similar to the Christmas arrangements.....have part time staff delivering parcels from 1pm-8pm. advertise the roles in each depot as just a parcel duty and then people know what they are signing up for, it may actually suit people. posties can just concentrate on letters and the usual amount of parcels that are built into the walk. I've always to said there should be at least one part time parcel driver in each office (that's busy enough) to deal with all the excess parcels, regs etc they end up paying out on overtime anyway..

Isn't that what we used to do when we had bikes to deliver the mail and van packet duties which would also take posties 2nd bags out.

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5