ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 08:55

We have a re-pick starting soon in my office. Me and another postman joined and started on the same day a number of years ago. However the manager has put up a list of seniority up in the office, the other postman is above me. Does anyone know the rule or thinking behind seniority for people starting on the same day? I have asked my manager to ring hr which he has but they haven't got back to him.
Thanks

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 09:31

I had the same problem asked mangers & union they all gave different answers! I gave up in the end & just let the other lad pick first! Best way would be a toss off a coin!

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 10:01

It should be done on the scores when you both joined Royal Mail.

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 10:04

Date of birth

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 10:16

i joined same day as my mate, he was older, so more senior.

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 10:34

osgoody1970 wrote:i joined same day as my mate, he was older, so more senior.

The other postman is older but.... surely that's ageist? The same thing happened with two other postmen and the they had some sort of answer off hr.

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 10:55

Does it not go by interview time?

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 11:13

Start date - selection date - d.o.b

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 11:48

Is resign done on seniority as normal or have they gone down the road of pt and ft pairings ,meaning someone with years of service might end up a floater or even reserve while someone just in door rises to near the top . ..? Is this happening all over and has our union agreed to it ?

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 11:56

It used to be on your surname, with it starting with B, I was the most senior of the 3 who started on the same day.
It then changed to your date of birth and I went from the most senior to the least.

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 11:57

1. Any periods of Post Office service on other grades.
2. Date of selection
3. Date of Birth
Taken from The Way Forward Agreement 2000 Section 13.9
Have also known at other offices to be done by the toss of a coin and also the position in the alphabet of the first letter of the persons surname. So AARDVAK would be useful. :nana :nana

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 12:15

Pretty sure they cant use date of birth as it's considered agest.

Think if you both has the same start date it's drawn out of a hat form what I seen on a letter posted in our office

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 12:28

deltaforce wrote:Date of birth

It's definitely not that anyway. Same thing happened to me and I was below someone I started with who is younger than me

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 12:38

Same with my partner

Seniority

16 Jul 2017, 12:57

Potters111 wrote:
osgoody1970 wrote:i joined same day as my mate, he was older, so more senior.

The other postman is older but.... surely that's ageist? The same thing happened with two other postmen and the they had some sort of answer off hr.

If it's the right answer, no it's not ageist as age isn't the primary factor chosen, it's a tie-breaker so as far as I know is okay.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4