ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 11:40

Hoping someone can shed some light on this;

For example, if someone was contracted to start work at 9:30am & finish at 2:48pm with a 20 minute meal relief at the end of their shift before they finish, therefore actual finish time of 2:28pm.

If this person worked over their time and finished at 3pm, how much overtime would they claim?

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 12:24

12 minutes

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 12:44

Creditshampoo wrote:12 minutes

So you don't also claim untaken meal relief?

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 13:02

The Postman wrote:

Its a grey area, but Royal Mail can claim that they reasonably expected you to take the break at some point during the working day rather than at the end. You could always ask the manager if you are working LESS than 6 hours (in total with break) to tag the break on the end. However, if with the break added on a working day is over 6 hours, then it becomes a statutory break (or at least 20 minutes does) and that CAN'T be taken at the end of the working day.

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 13:33

Grey area or not. If you haven't had it, claim. Or sit in office 20 min if manager being funny. Either way you claim 30 mins.

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 13:46

Our office pretty much all 2.15pm finish.
We always add on from 1.55pm.
A finish of 2.25pm, not having had a break except for in the morning, would give 30 mins o/t.
Mind you, mine is always wrong, every week, and have to go to DOM assist and re-claim- usually half an hour here or there, but I ALWAYS claim it if underpaid, no matter how little.

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 15:11

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
The Postman wrote:

Its a grey area, but Royal Mail can claim that they reasonably expected you to take the break at some point during the working day rather than at the end. You could always ask the manager if you are working LESS than 6 hours (in total with break) to tag the break on the end. However, if with the break added on a working day is over 6 hours, then it becomes a statutory break (or at least 20 minutes does) and that CAN'T be taken at the end of the working day.

Why can't the break be taken at the end of the shift? In our d/o the part timers are expected to take their break 13 minutes into their shift. To coincide wih the full timers break time. Surelly if breaks can't be taken at the end then this should not be right either??

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 15:19

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
The Postman wrote:

Manager allows us to claim break also as it's to be taken at the end. Some said to me that you would claim 32 minutes from your usual finish time without the break then add your 20 minute meal relief at the end which didn't seem right to me as you'd already have been paid it in your contracted hours. 32 mins was the answer I was expecting.

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 16:01

While were on the subject is there any offices that have a set time for full timers breaks. I'm usually the only person taking a break in my office, just after I've bagged up. Much to the annoyance of the runners who end up loading the van themselves.

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 16:08

We don't get it cos we finished early someday somewhen some time ago in a galaxy far far away!!.i don't want it either,I have more than enough to do thankyou,but good luck to those who should get it,seems like a minefield to me to claim it,don't see any sheets all a bit hush hush to me,even have the Dom doing runs to workshops to collect vans to save an hour s docket?? Great use of there time???

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 16:09

lcook282 wrote:While were on the subject is there any offices that have a set time for full timers breaks. I'm usually the only person taking a break in my office, just after I've bagged up. Much to the annoyance of the runners who end up loading the van themselves.

Brilliant!! Well done that man,do you see steam coming out there ears??

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 17:48

The Postman wrote:Hoping someone can shed some light on this;

For example, if someone was contracted to start work at 9:30am & finish at 2:48pm with a 20 minute meal relief at the end of their shift before they finish, therefore actual finish time of 2:28pm.

If this person worked over their time and finished at 3pm, how much overtime would they claim?

Okay first things first why are you only taking a 20 minute break ? You are entitled to 30 minutes as your attendance for the day is over 5 hours and below 7 hours.

With regards to claiming OT as you have worked less than 6 hours the statutory break of taking 20 minutes uninterrupted somewhere near the middle of your shift does not apply to you & Royal Mail currently has no clear guide lines for this situation. it is left to be dealt with by local agreements.

I would bring it up with the manager and have a rep present so I can ask him
1- does he have any problem with me working through my meal relief and claiming it as over time to clear the work load providing I stay under 6 hours attendance each day
2- should I take my meal relief in the middle of the shift which means I may have to cut off some Mail if I am not prepared to work past a certain time.
3- can I take my meal relief in the middle of my s**t and finish later doing the OT required to clear and claim excess hours over my official finish time.

Let your manager decide what he wants to do make sure you have a witness preferably a local rep and choose from the agreed methods whichever suits your personal circumstances best.

All the best mate
SLP

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 17:58

Burghboy wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
The Postman wrote:

Why can't the break be taken at the end of the shift? In our d/o the part timers are expected to take their break 13 minutes into their shift. To coincide wih the full timers break time. Surely if breaks can't be taken at the end then this should not be right either??

As I said its a grey area.

If working 6 hours you are entitled to a statutory break of 20 minutes that should be taken somewhere in the middle of the working day. The law of the land is in play when "statutory entitlement" comes into anything.

Now if you work under 6 hours then the breaks are contractual (and any breaks over the 20 minutes statutory) which means the statutory rules don't apply and it's down to local and national agreements/arrangements. this is why the 40-minute break can be split 20-20 (part statutory part contractural)

There is no hard and fast answer but if you are entitled to a statutory break, the managers may be culpable in some situations if they allow it to be taken at the end of the working day. Most of them won't know that and will probably let you do it. But it shouldn't happen.

So to recap a statutory break can not be taken at the end of the shift.
A contractual break can as long as its line with national and local arrangments (hence why I say check with manager)

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 18:40

No grey area. If you have NOT taken a break then you book it. We have paid breaks.

Claiming o/t

18 May 2017, 19:00

Where do I stand please? I'm on a van share this week. My co-worker starts at 07.00 and preps both rounds and I come in at 09.00. He goes for a 20 minute break when I get there and I band up. I finished at 14.35 yesterday and signed out at 15.05 (30 minute break at the end). My colleague's finishing time was different to mine as he only booked 20 minutes at the end but my Line Manager tried to knock 10 minutes off as we've got to finish at the same time???? I know it's only 10 minutes I'm being diddled out of but it's the principle......

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2