ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE


Changes at our office, advise.... concern?!.

17 Feb 2017, 16:18

Im at PT reserve on a 25hr contract but im fairly low down on the seniority list. I normally work in the region of 30-40hrs a week depending on OT or whether im covering a fulltimer. Anyway there are proposed big changes in our office, Royal Mail want to change the 1 in 4 Saturdays to 1 in 6 plus we are talking about moving start and finish times forward. If we go to 1 in 6 then a few part timers will be made up to 30hrs (excludes me) but as far as im gathering if the vote stays at 1 in 4 then we will need to hire at least more person.
Now my manager reckons that when things change then ill be brought in over 5 days on 5hrs per day, overtime will be eliminated or very minimal and that ill be coming in to collect pouches (which my partner will be bagging) and then go and deliver. He also says I would have more chance of future OT if I vote the 1 in 6 which is what RM want. ( scaremongering do you think?!?!). It does worry me especially when 3 month ago a 30 hr position was being advertised in a nearby office and I should've enquired about it.

Anyway can an office run on pretty much zero or minimal overtime or should I not worry too much, or maybe try and try and transfer if another office is advertising with more hours? Like I say its all down to vote and I feel managers and even union reps are not being completely truthful and to brainwash so you vote in their favour. At the end of the day 1 in 4 saturdays or 1 in 6 makes no odds to me because I rarely get a saturday off anyway so a bit of independant advise would be good so ive no idea how I would vote?
Im hoping other people can relate to whats going on. Apart from this I really don't know the ins and outs.


Changes at our office, advise.... concern?!.

17 Feb 2017, 16:27

The office I work in used to rely very heavily on overtime to cover days off, sickness, take out failed lasping, do extra sorting in the mornings, etc.

There's now very little of any sort. At least an 80% reduction in overtime hours

Changes at our office, advise.... concern?!.

17 Feb 2017, 16:34

You say Royal Mail want you to go on 1 in 6, I'm quite sure all posties would rather have more weekends off so do you know if there is a vote on this? Plus Why the change? In our office o/t is of the premium, not much at all, can't say I'm bothered but appreciate your concern.

Changes at our office, advise.... concern?!.

17 Feb 2017, 16:39

walkthewalk wrote:You say Royal Mail want you to go on 1 in 6, I'm quite sure all posties would rather have more weekends off so do you know if there is a vote on this? Plus Why the change? In our office o/t is of the premium, not much at all, can't say I'm bothered but appreciate your concern.


Yes there will be a vote on this. I think its to cut down on cover people needed. Update, the job in the nearby office is advertised again, just looked and its 30hrs which is 5 more than my contract. Ive heard a mixed bag about that office though so is it a case if jumping out of the frying pan into the fire?

Changes at our office, advise.... concern?!.

17 Feb 2017, 16:48

postiewhite wrote:
walkthewalk wrote:You say Royal Mail want you to go on 1 in 6, I'm quite sure all posties would rather have more weekends off so do you know if there is a vote on this? Plus Why the change? In our office o/t is of the premium, not much at all, can't say I'm bothered but appreciate your concern.


Yes there will be a vote on this. I think its to cut down on cover people needed. Update, the job in the nearby office is advertised again, just looked and its 30hrs which is 5 more than my contract. Ive heard a mixed bag about that office though so is it a case if jumping out of the frying pan into the fire?


The grass is not always greener on the other side as we all know so I would stick it out as I'm sure the 1 in 6 won't get voted in so in the meantime pester your manager for a contract with more hours, do it with a nice letter and a big smile on your face after you have bought him a coffee (make sure the brown noses don't see you do it) whatever the result the best of luck matey.

Changes at our office, advise.... concern?!.

17 Feb 2017, 21:01

I think OT at the moment is scarcer than usual because traffic levels are low.

Changes at our office, advise.... concern?!.

18 Feb 2017, 00:59

postiewhite wrote: that ill be coming in to collect pouches (which my partner will be bagging) and then go and deliver..

Ho ho ho. This is how our hybrid duties are supposed to work, with the hybrid guy coming in at 9ish and going straight out so that he can get back in time for a break and then go out on his collection. Does it work - no! Because the partner resents preping for the hybrid guy.

Beware of this - if you go out late and come back with work because there is no docket you will be accused of being slow.

Changes at our office, advise.... concern?!.

18 Feb 2017, 15:59

Thanks guys. The position that is available in a nearby office on 5 more contracted hrs than what im on ive decided to take the plunge and see if I can sort a transfer. What is the best steps to do this? Go and see the DOM of the other office and have a word and then if they seem happy do I go and see my DOM and get things in place?

Changes at our office, advise.... concern?!.

18 Feb 2017, 17:08

Vote to keep 1 in 4 Don't listen to the management.
Every postie I know who works 1 in 6 regrets it and wishes they went back to 1 in 4

Changes at our office, advise.... concern?!.

18 Feb 2017, 22:37

telithowitis wrote:Vote to keep 1 in 4 Don't listen to the management.
Every postie I know who works 1 in 6 regrets it and wishes they went back to 1 in 4



We didn't have a choice, it had to be 1 in 6, as it suited the union rep, who now has every Saturday off.

Changes at our office, advise.... concern?!.

19 Feb 2017, 11:02

Shaders wrote:
telithowitis wrote:Vote to keep 1 in 4 Don't listen to the management.
Every postie I know who works 1 in 6 regrets it and wishes they went back to 1 in 4



We didn't have a choice, it had to be 1 in 6, as it suited the union rep, who now has every Saturday off.


Enough said, what the Union Rep wants the Union Rep gets!! another rep in the managers pocket :cuppa

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 1