not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ELECTION MATERIAL:EXTENDED DELIVERY OVERTIME ISSUE:AND MORE:UPDATE:GE JUNE 8 2017

28 Apr 2015, 14:40

POSTMAN EDIT : 18 March : Bumped due to the General Election announcement today!
UK Prime Minister Theresa May has announced plans to call a snap general election on 8 June 2017.

Election Material 2019.jpg

BEING PAID OVERTIME (OR NOT AS THE CASE MAY BE IN SOME UNITS) WHILE DELIVERING ELECTION MATERIAL

Subject: RE: Elections 2014 <IGNORE DATE>

Sent: 02 April 2014 11:44
To: Bobby Gibson
Cc: Hayley Nutley; Andrew Martin
Subject: RE: Elections 2014 <IGNORE DATE>

Dear Bob

I’m happy to confirm that we take exactly the same view on the extended delivery issue. The unit payments mean we don’t pay overtime for the election material or poll cards but if the volume of ‘non-election material’ workload requires overtime then yes that should be paid in the normal way. The fact that we make election material unit payments on the day does not mean there can be no extended delivery overtime.

Andy and I can make this clear to colleagues.

On your second point you’re right we do recognise there may be occasions where the volume of poll cards and other mail mean is it simply not possible to maintain the full product service specification. But we have to be careful about how we can say this in our communications. We ask people to do all they reasonably can and if having done so some poll cards fall back to the next delivery we would not withhold the unit payment. As you say we will be pragmatic where necessary. I sent the words in red below to our heads of IR in response to a request for clarity on what DOMs should do in the event that volume made it impossible to clear the poll cards on one day.

While we make every effort to meet these service standards there are occasions when volumes make this impossible and some fall into the next delivery. We do not intend to withhold unit payments in the event of this happening.

Dale Lang, Royal Mail head of Industrial Relations
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CWU picks : Election material extended delivery OT issue

18 Mar 2016, 00:38

POLL CARDS THAT ARE DSA DOES ATTRACT UNIT PAYMENT

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10679&p=112941#p112941

Dear Dale,

London Mayoral Elections and UK Local Elections (POSTMAN EDIT:IGNORE THAT)

Thank you for your letter of 28th March.

I welcome your confirmation that our 2005 agreement remains in force in respect of the delivery of election material. (Below) I am, however, baffled as to how you can claim that this means that poll cards that happen to come through Downstream access channels are not eligible for payment.

Section 2 of that agreement says This agreement covers all addressed and un-addressed free election communications marked ELECTION COMMUNICATION

CWU picks : Election material extended delivery OT issue

18 Mar 2016, 00:45

National Agreement covering the Delivery of Election Material

1) Introduction

This agreement between Royal Mail and the CWU is in line with the commitment made in
the Pay and Major Change Agreement dated 19 December 2003. It introduces a new
national standard payment and procedure for the delivery of election material as required
by that agreement (see Appendix B section 4 sub Para d).

2) Scope of this Agreement

This agreement covers all addressed and un-addressed free election communications
marked “ELECTION COMMUNICATION” and Poll Cards (excluding Proxy Poll Cards). It
replaces all previous national and / or local agreements covering the delivery of election
materials and poll cards from the date of this agreement.

3) Delivery Specification

Addressed items: delivery to take place within 3 working days from receipt (including
Saturdays). (Except certain elections relating to Europe where it may be extended to 7
days from receipt.)

Un-addressed items: delivery to take place within 7 working days from receipt (including
Saturdays).

The impact of delivering this letter traffic will be excluded from normal workload
calculations.

All other operational issues will be dealt with at local level in line with the IR Framework.

4) Payments

All existing local payments covering the delivery of election material as stated in
paragraph 2 above will remain in place, and in accordance with this agreement, with the
following exceptions.

1. The minimum payment for delivering election material will be 3p per item.

2. The maximum payment for delivering election material will be 6.6p per item.

3. All hours based schemes will be converted to pence per item schemes and then the
criteria in 1 and 2 above will be applied. Where delivery offices have introduced a SDD
revision since the last delivery of election material then the following formula will be
applied prior to the criteria in 1 and 2 above being applied.
Previous no. Walks X O/T hours per walk e.g. 35 X 2 hrs hours = 3.5hrs
Current no. of Walks 20

4. In those Units where there are two payments e.g. 4.5p for the first three parties and
1.67p for additional parties the minimum payment will become 3p with any payments over
this amount being retained.

5. In those Units where there is a mixture of hours and pence per item based payments
the process in 4) 3. above will be followed for the hours based element, with the process
in 4) 4. above then being applied.
Where election material items exceed 20g in weight a further 0.5p will be payable.
These revised payments apply from the date of this agreement and cover all election
material as identified above. They are payable on an individual basis, and are not affected
by any collective criteria/responsibility.

5) Quality Commitment

The payments are based on the requirement that all election material will be delivered in
accordance with the delivery specification set out in paragraph 3. Where the specification
is not achieved for any party/candidate then the payment for that party/candidates
material will not be due.

6) Special Circumstances

It is jointly recognised that Royal Mail has a legal obligation to secure the delivery of
election material for all nominated candidates and parties.

Whilst it is expected that delivery will be made by the individual due to undertake the
particular delivery, local management will deal sensitively and sympathetically with
genuine requests to deviate from this arrangement.

Such cases may arise as a result of personal circumstances or beliefs or where an
individual believes that delivery of a particular item may incur personal risk.

If such instances arise alternative measures will be used to secure delivery. These may
include the use of volunteers from within the office or neighbouring offices to cover more
than one delivery or, as a last resort, the use of supplementary resource.

Both parties undertake to co-operate fully in the application of these principles and in
resolving any difficulties that may arise surrounding the delivery of election material.
Signed ………………………… Signed………………………………
On behalf of Royal Mail On behalf of Communication Workers Union
Signed………………………….. Signed………………………………
On behalf of Royal Mail On behalf of Communication Workers Union
Date ………………………… Date………………………….

CWU/RMC picks : Election material extended delivery OT issue:2005 Agreement:And more

18 Mar 2016, 20:14

We were told today they we will get 6 pence per item but they have to all be delivered that day

ELECTION MATERIAL:EXTENDED DELIVERY OVERTIME ISSUE:AND MORE

01 Apr 2016, 08:08

Can someone please clear this up for me...
We can't opt out of delivering any election material?
We are always entitled payment for what we deliver?
We don't have to work past our contracted finish time?
If any items come in DSA, they must be delivered that day?
If the non election workload would require you to extend, then you are entitled to overtime? And lastly, how much?

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but the answers don't seem to be very clear.

01 Apr 2016, 14:58

psyCrowe wrote:Can someone please clear this up for me...
If the non election workload would require you to extend, then you are entitled to overtime? And lastly, how much?

1. Taking part in the delivery of election material is optional.
There is a "conscience clause" for certain material, or if you don't want to do any of it you don't have to.
2. You are entitled to the payment if it is delivered to spec.
3. If you accept the job of delivering election material with the extra payment, then you will obviously need to go past your time. (If you can absorb that workload without incurring any extra time why aren't you doing that every week?)
4. Yes that is my understanding though the business needs to be pragmatic sometimes.
5. You are entitled to claim whatever overtime you do that isn't election material related.

01 Apr 2016, 18:02

motherhubbard wrote:
psyCrowe wrote:Can someone please clear this up for me...

1. Taking part in the delivery of election material is optional.
There is a "conscience clause" for certain material, or if you don't want to do any of it you don't have to.
2. You are entitled to the payment if it is delivered to spec.
3. If you accept the job of delivering election material with the extra payment, then you will obviously need to go past your time. (If you can absorb that workload without incurring any extra time why aren't you doing that every week?)
4. Yes that is my understanding though the business needs to be pragmatic sometimes.
5. You are entitled to claim whatever overtime you do that isn't election material related.

Addressed items are over 3 days though, if you only hit doors you're going to, its not really extra workload, considering they are prepped by the individual, in their own time.

Can you elaborate on this please? If you want to opt out of delivering and they try force onto you, but you only are willing to work to time, can they get them thrown into the frame for you to deliver up to your contracted finish time and not pay you ?

So for example, delivering election material takes me 30mins over, clearing my own packets takes me another hour. I can only claim the hour for packets then?

just trying to get a more thorough understanding, cheers.

01 Apr 2016, 19:02

Now this is something which I can never work out but its all clearly to do with saving Royal Mail money.

For example, we are not supposed to be paid overtime if we happen to work past our time when we are delivering D2Ds. This is because we get an additional supplement for delivering the D2Ds right? But 4 or 5 lots of D2Ds that need to be prepped and delivered would usually put me past my finish time, no question.

So why are the polling cards any different in terms of being paid overtime for doing them as well?

Methinks that is why Royal Mail are pushing everyone to deliver them all in one day. It is so they can quite clearly say that yes, you worked till 6pm today and therefore you have claimed say 3 hours of overtime BUT we can't pay you that because you are getting a separate payment for delivering the poll cards. I mean what if it wasn't just the polling cards that made you go 3 hours past your time but the infinite number of parcels as well?? But money doesn't interest me.

Time to work smarter and use the overrunning procedure. I don't mind putting the poll cards in the frame but I'm damned if Im going to work past my time delivering everything as well - someone else can do that if I'm not getting paid for working past my time :thumbup

01 Apr 2016, 19:19

postslippete wrote:
For example, we are not supposed to be paid overtime if we happen to work past our time when we are delivering D2Ds. This is because we get an additional supplement for delivering the D2Ds right? But 4 or 5 lots of D2Ds that need to be prepped and delivered would usually put me past my finish time, no question.

Whoever told you this is wrong, we no longer are paid for d2d, we get a delivery supplement but that isnt a direct payment for doing d2d - we get the same amount if we have 0 d2d that week or 5 or 6 sets.
You dont have to extend to do d2d unless you saved them all up for the entire week and tried to do them all on a Friday or something, then that would be your fauit. So long as youre spreading the workload evenly and you have so many d2d that you extend then OT should be paid.

01 Apr 2016, 19:26

D2D is incorporated into the work plan, you should only be prepping them if you are prepping the first wave of mail in the morning (at least in my office)

Edit:
But I think the same as you, albeit with election material instead of D2D

02 Apr 2016, 07:40

psyCrowe wrote:

Addressed items are over 3 days though, if you only hit doors you're going to, its not really extra workload, considering they are prepped by the individual, in their own time.

Can you elaborate on this please? If you want to opt out of delivering and they try force onto you, but you only are willing to work to time, can they get them thrown into the frame for you to deliver up to your contracted finish time and not pay you ?

So for example, delivering election material takes me 30mins over, clearing my own packets takes me another hour. I can only claim the hour for packets then?

3. Whether you do the extra work required before or after your contracted hours is up to you, but it still needs to be done outside of your contracted hours.
I agree that the extra work is mainly the prep and not the delivery.

4. The payment is for delivery. They can't prep them and expect you to deliver them for free.
The pragmatism is about what happens when the resources aren't available to ensure the product is delivered to spec.

5. Yes.

02 Apr 2016, 08:37

motherhubbard wrote:
psyCrowe wrote:

3. Whether you do the extra work required before or after your contracted hours is up to you, but it still needs to be done outside of your contracted hours.
I agree that the extra work is mainly the prep and not the delivery.

4. The payment is for delivery. They can't prep them and expect you to deliver them for free.
The pragmatism is about what happens when the resources aren't available to ensure the product is delivered to spec.

5. Yes.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. #3 still seems a bit of a grey area to me I've never really understood, more so with un-addressed items that can be taken over 7 days. If doing them the same day as a column of D2D for each day of the week, it's definitely not extra workload, unless they are similar to DFS, which they are never.

5. OK, how about that particular day I gave as an example, I've worked a total of 7.10 hours ( 5.40 + 1.30 extended ). Would I be entitled to an extra 10 minute break? Or does that not come in to effect because we get a separate payment for election material?

02 Apr 2016, 09:10

It's about time offices were singing from the same hymn sheet regarding polling cards.

We were told from DOM and union that they MUST all go in one day and need to be prepped in our own time. If we deliver them over two days then we get no payment for them. It's unreasonable to expect us to prep and deliver this amount on the day they come into the office. By the time you take into account how late we actually got out on delivery plus how long we went over, (most got finished after 5pm) the polling card payment isn't worth it.

I'm opting out the next time, I don't want the payment but I will prep and deliver them in RM's time, not my own.

02 Apr 2016, 15:13

You can't opt out of Poll Cards

You can opt out of Political Parties Election addresses if you have a moral objection to doing them (conscience clause)or you believe that your H&S may be put at risk.

We got Poll Cards Yesterday, and more today by DSA and we are delivering them over 3 days, which is reset when a new batch comes in. This is the national agreement.

There is no agreement for prepping then in your own time.

There is no agreement that you can't be paid overtime when delivering Election Material or Poll Cards. There is an agreement that if the workload that day would have taken you over that YOU CAN BE PAID Overtime.

You don't have to deliver them all in one day. Even the Royal Mail Head Shed said that in the letter above.

PS. All the above is in this thread and the Downloads section.

02 Apr 2016, 15:31

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:You can't opt out of Poll Cards

Why not?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 8   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8