not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Bullying and harassment in delivery offices

17 May 2018, 12:57

Posted this in the Union room but think it’s appropriate here. If not, do feel free to delete.

Tomorrow will be the end of my fourth week. However, I think it’s the end. Walked out this morning after yet more criticism that the round wasn’t completed on time yesterday. DOM maintains it can be done, no OPG agrees, many customers saying that no one stays on my duty for exactly the same reasons.

Really upset as I have really tried. Have walked up to 13.7 miles some days and all I get is that my 600 plus houses plus absorption and the lovely door to doors, which fills my trolley so it won’t shut, two drop bags and occasionally another pouch I carry from the DO can be done by 2:30. I don’t see how when nothing is ready and some days I don’t leave until nearly 11.

I tore a ligament on day 3 at work but had no time off or even interest/concern from the DOM about it. Carried on with knee in brace, always back late, never finish on time.

DOM initially refused to fill out an ERICA was threatened by another OPG with being reported but as she didn’t know how to fill one out she sat me in front of computer to fill it out myself and not tell anyone.

She thinks I need more training to complete on time. I think it’s a full time round being covered by a part time postie or I need to run rather than maintain a very brisk walk.

Heartbroken, but I feel I have been beasted and let down by totally incompetent management.

Wish I could have made it work but I can’t stand being continually criticised when I work so hard. I have never seen it completed, no one other than the DOM thinks it can be, they can’t keep people on my duty so customers really pissed off. It’s all broken and I’ve been made to feel as though I am a failure.

DOM has said “ you are not suspended for your behaviour, you will get paid for today but report tomorrow”. I guess my “behaviour” is my saying that “seeing as how you think it’s me rather than the duty/part time hours, I quit”.

Have already heard her on phone to the Régional “spinning” things to him to protect her own inefficiencies.

There is definitely history in that office and on my duty.

I am sorry, gutted that my efforts in trying to complete are not recognised.

I have new found respect for the posties who are broken every day, delivering huge amounts of packets, breaking their backs, walking half marathons with weight daily. I managed that, I just can’t do it all in part time hours.

Anyone reading this, give it a go anyway. Hopefully your experience will be less disappointing than mine. Hopefully your DO isn’t as shambolic. Get a reasonable DOM and I am sure it could be a nice job.

Power to the posties! You’re all super heroes in my view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

17 May 2018, 17:01

Really feel for you as the job used to be so good,destroyed by incompetent bullying managers and those above them who all they think about is lining their greedy pockets.

29 Jul 2018, 21:34

I am the new union rep in our office as nobody else wanted to do it, now I know why... A fella in my office hates the radio being on too loud, bit petty but he asked for it to be turned down and the manager mocked him in a girly whingey voice repeating what he said 'turn it down.' I didnt hear it, but he claims it happened so I confronted the manager about it and he said 'he needs to grow a pair of balls and stop being a woss!' haha couldnt be much worse of a response! lesson learnt, next time should secretely record the conversation. Its pathetic bs imo though too much like a primary school classroom in the office sometimes

29 Jul 2018, 21:38

13.7 miles is up there with a biggest deliveries, how many floors were climbed though? thats what hurts! then again in the heat ..f-THAT cut off bring it back smile stay happy and relaxed, theres no reason you need to complete a delivery, just work to time no big deal

29 Jul 2018, 22:05

MarlowPostie wrote:Posted this in the Union room but think it’s appropriate here. If not, do feel free to delete.

Tomorrow will be the end of my fourth week. However, I think it’s the end. Walked out this morning after yet more criticism that the round wasn’t completed on time yesterday. DOM maintains it can be done, no OPG agrees, many customers saying that no one stays on my duty for exactly the same reasons.

Really upset as I have really tried. Have walked up to 13.7 miles some days and all I get is that my 600 plus houses plus absorption and the lovely door to doors, which fills my trolley so it won’t shut, two drop bags and occasionally another pouch I carry from the DO can be done by 2:30. I don’t see how when nothing is ready and some days I don’t leave until nearly 11.

I tore a ligament on day 3 at work but had no time off or even interest/concern from the DOM about it. Carried on with knee in brace, always back late, never finish on time.

DOM initially refused to fill out an ERICA was threatened by another OPG with being reported but as she didn’t know how to fill one out she sat me in front of computer to fill it out myself and not tell anyone.

She thinks I need more training to complete on time. I think it’s a full time round being covered by a part time postie or I need to run rather than maintain a very brisk walk.

Heartbroken, but I feel I have been beasted and let down by totally incompetent management.

Wish I could have made it work but I can’t stand being continually criticised when I work so hard. I have never seen it completed, no one other than the DOM thinks it can be, they can’t keep people on my duty so customers really pissed off. It’s all broken and I’ve been made to feel as though I am a failure.

DOM has said “ you are not suspended for your behaviour, you will get paid for today but report tomorrow”. I guess my “behaviour” is my saying that “seeing as how you think it’s me rather than the duty/part time hours, I quit”.

Have already heard her on phone to the Régional “spinning” things to him to protect her own inefficiencies.

I have new found respect for the posties who are broken every day, delivering huge amounts of packets, breaking their backs, walking half marathons with weight daily. I managed that, I just can’t do it all in part time hours.

Anyone reading this, give it a go anyway. Hopefully your experience will be less disappointing than mine. Hopefully your DO isn’t as shambolic. Get a reasonable DOM and I am sure it could be a nice job.

Bump . Thats my office too. Brain dead bonus fed corporate imperial stormtroopers at the helm. radio volume is the least of our worries.

30 Jul 2018, 20:03

My Dom has made me seriously ill with their no nonsense attitude

31 Jul 2018, 23:03

MarlowPostie wrote:Posted this in the Union room but think it’s appropriate here. If not, do feel free to delete.

Listen, if you haven't left yet, you need to stand up to these dim wits.

Firstly, call the union and report exactly what you've written. Secondly, from now on follow the cut off procedure. Tell the DOM before you leave you are unlikely to finish before your finish time, due to the size of the round etc. If they try to argue with you call their bluff and invite them to walk with you. Tell them you've spoken to the union and they've advised you that you are well within your rights to work to time. When you do your round, work to rule. Use the trolley to every delivery point, try nighbours for parcels, lock the trolley up when out of sight, don't force the trolley to close - remove parcels and packets, don't carry bags on your trolley or yourself. Ask them what they want to you to do once you've told them you will be cutting off - but you must attempt to contact them about 1.5 hrs before your finish time to confirm you will be cutting off. Call with the PDA - if it doesn't work you can call IF you have a phone and YOU want to use it. If you don't want to use it, Take a short video of you trying to call with the PDA and failing because it won't work.

They will either tell you that a) They want you to finish (this is not the answer to the question - you are cutting off so you can't finish) b) they will tell you to bring it back c) they will send someone out to help.

It is up to them. But keep working as normal and just stop delivering to give you enough time to walk back to DO. If they give you grief, tell them you know the Agreed Cut Off procedure have followed it and they can check the PDA actuals. Also tell them that if they wan't to discuss it further you will ask the union rep to come in and discuss it with them.

Then go home - not feeling guilty or belittled. They will soon get the message and if you get the union to contact them they will be wary of trying to set you up for a fall. It will look pretty shady if after you've caused a stir that suddenly you are being picked out for complaints and mistakes.

Oh, and take your break on your duty. Just do your job in the time you are contracted at a safe and steady pace, to the rules the videos show. They canny do shite. :left: :Very Happy

02 Aug 2018, 10:52

I'm sorry that you're having a tough time, Marlow. If you are on the brink of leaving, why not take the 'work to rule' advice? What have you got to loose?

Alternatively, are you able to get the walk 'timed' - make sure that the DO doesn't get Usain Bolt to time it for you of course!

At the very least, get the union involved. (Your DO sounds like a complete knob) Oh, & Keep your pecker up!!!!!

03 Aug 2018, 18:49

I had same problems with my dom tot stressed me out in end had hart attack on my round had face to face meetings dom told me if I can’t do the round then finish well could c the attitude still Havant changed with me even hav a hart attack so for the sake of my health I got out of there best thing I ever done

Re: Bullying and harassment in delivery offices

03 Aug 2018, 19:10

Ossie From Preston wrote:This is how it goes in my office,
Postie - 8 45am “Boss got to much on today won’t be able to finish in time“
DOM - “your not due out till 10 30 it’s a bit early telling me now come back when your about to go out we will access the situation then”
Postie “Ok”
10 15 am Postie - “Boss still won’t be able to finish in time to much on won’t be able to do tracked or packets”
DOM - “it’s a bit late telling me now pal I have nobody and I mean nobody to cover anything on your duty, tell you what leave the packets just take the tracked”
Postie - “I’m not going over boss”
DOM “come and see me in the morning and I will pay you what you went over” Walks away!
DOM comes back "if your telling me you can't finish those two walks and the tracked and the mail traffic is down today well I will be speaking to you tomorrow on a performance issue"
Postie looks for Union rep, Union rep has been in early and long gone.

Spot on

04 Aug 2018, 22:56

Say you won't be able to complete

08 Aug 2018, 16:11

azza30 wrote:

Firstly, call the union and report exactly what you've written. Secondly, from now on follow the cut off procedure. Tell the DOM before you leave you are unlikely to finish before your finish time, due to the size of the round etc. If they try to argue with you call their bluff and invite them to walk with you. Tell them you've spoken to the union and they've advised you that you are well within your rights to work to time. When you do your round, work to rule. Use the trolley to every delivery point, try nighbours for parcels, lock the trolley up when out of sight, don't force the trolley to close - remove parcels and packets, don't carry bags on your trolley or yourself. Ask them what they want to you to do once you've told them you will be cutting off - but you must attempt to contact them about 1.5 hrs before your finish time to confirm you will be cutting off. Call with the PDA - if it doesn't work you can call IF you have a phone and YOU want to use it. If you don't want to use it, Take a short video of you trying to call with the PDA and failing because it won't work.

They will either tell you that a) They want you to finish (this is not the answer to the question - you are cutting off so you can't finish) b) they will tell you to bring it back c) they will send someone out to help.

It is up to them. But keep working as normal and just stop delivering to give you enough time to walk back to DO. If they give you grief, tell them you know the Agreed Cut Off procedure have followed it and they can check the PDA actuals. Also tell them that if they wan't to discuss it further you will ask the union rep to come in and discuss it with them.

Then go home - not feeling guilty or belittled. They will soon get the message and if you get the union to contact them they will be wary of trying to set you up for a fall. It will look pretty shady if after you've caused a stir that suddenly you are being picked out for complaints and mistakes.

Oh, and take your break on your duty. Just do your job in the time you are contracted at a safe and steady pace, to the rules the videos show. They canny do shite. :left: :Very Happy

Best advice I've read on this forum

16 Aug 2018, 21:31

Covering someone’s holiday, his walk is a new build estate still a work in progress. It currently has FOUR frames, 3 full and the other half. You’d think that it’s 4 separate walks...but it’s all the same walk. The mech doesn’t come in sequence. The sorters chuck the mail in the same pigeon hole regardless of which frames they’re on, same with packets. To top it all off, his partner is on holiday too, and I’m lumped with a 9.30am starter. No help from management to prep and only met with grief when I refuse to stay out and clear it.

The walk is clearly uneven and unfair and the duty holder we all know is being taken advantage of but he’s too nice to say anything. I’m doing what he should be doing and bringing it all back. Wednesday I was tied up and ready to go at 10.20am after nearly 4 hours prep, leaving me with just over 3 hours delivery time, 25 minutes of which is travelling to and from the site.
Brought back 6 bags of mail and 13 parcels on Wednesday. Management say duty holder knew what he signed up for as the estate is still in development. Currently sitting at 1600 delivery points.

This walk is a mess, it’s a joke that it’s left the way it is, but the duty holder does himself no favours by running around and getting it finished. Now he’s off and I’m left with a week of hassle and stress trying to deliver this maze of a walk.

24 Sep 2018, 09:06

I've been at RM 6 weeks now. We have a new temp manager who started at the same time as me. He has frequently got on at me for my speed and on the one occasion I advised I wouldn't complete in a reasonable time because of the bulk he said I was imagining it because of the number of door to doors and took 6 catalogues off my frame saying he would deliver them himself. Weird and unhelpful. When I told him I only really wanted to work my contracted hours and I knew he wasn't keen on paying me overtime - what should I do? - bring back the undelivered stuff? He simply said "that would be a performance issue".

This thread on bullying was started a long time ago and CWU was looking to gather evidence. What happened? Bullying is still going on in my office. I have been intimidated and my self esteem crushed (reducing me to tears). BUT I am a new start and on "probation" seemingly for 6 months so no idea what kind of security I have in the role. Can I simply be let go for being too slow? I am going as fast as I can safely and sensibly, but am usually 30mins over on average - sometimes longer. On the one occasion - a light mail day - I was back early the DOM gave me more bundles and parcels to deliver to a street I'd never seen before.

On the overtime front yesterday I made a spreadsheet to calculate all the OT done and all the OT paid and RM has short changed me by over 12 hours. I knew it was out but not as bad as that in 6 weeks. That's £100 to me. A lot of money.

Re: Bullying and harassment in delivery offices

25 Sep 2018, 14:46

General Mannerheim wrote:I don't believe a word,I've never seen anybody being bullied or harassed in our office ;liar and the managers are all wonderful human beings.Your all just militant union rabble rousers who have thrown your toys out of the pram after getting the many wonderful pay increases.

25 Sep 2018, 14:50

azza30 wrote:

18 Oct 2018, 16:46

What I had to put up with today.

An idiot having a 2-year-old tantrum and having a personal go at me.
Another idiot screaming because I gave him a parcel for his walk that was missorted!
More idiots telling me to f off because I give them missorted mail or parcels.
Constant rude language (from managers too).
My office is like an asylum full of mentally retarded people.
No one is helpful at all. Everyone is selfish!

THE BANTER IS BULLYING!

GROWN MEN WHO BEHAVE LIKE TEENAGE BOYS!

My mental health is being affected by this and I am going to start recording in detail every single thing that happens from now on.

19 Oct 2018, 15:10

starting to look for a 6-2 job after 8mths with rm, i do morning (6;30am) ot and normally take 3 extra loops out after being badgered, pestered and grovelled at, in return i get moved around daily with 30mins notice of which walk im on(thank myself im lucky for getting a driver apparently..), im just tired of it now, and with the threat of 3:30 or even 5pm finishes in the next few mths/yrs im feeling a little drained and constantly unhappy.

19 Oct 2018, 17:28

simplythebest wrote:What I had to put up with today.

An idiot having a 2-year-old tantrum and having a personal go at me.
Another idiot screaming because I gave him a parcel for his walk that was missorted!
More idiots telling me to f off because I give them missorted mail or parcels.
Constant rude language (from managers too).
My office is like an asylum full of mentally retarded people.
No one is helpful at all. Everyone is selfish!

THE BANTER IS BULLYING!

GROWN MEN WHO BEHAVE LIKE TEENAGE BOYS!

My mental health is being affected by this and I am going to start recording in detail every single thing that happens from now on.

sounds like my office

19 Oct 2018, 22:15

One day, I just had a magic moment. Someone moaned I gave them a Missouri I told them to get f****d. Repeat and rinse.
No one says anything any more

Previous page Next page

Page 15 of 19   1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19