not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Bullying and harassment in delivery offices

12 Mar 2018, 21:15

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but you've probably realised now not to offer to do O/T until you've got used to delivering.

I have quickly learned that. Your the managers best friend and they exploit the people that will always say yes. Your pulled on performance if you say no.

WTF!!! - No wonder you took ages - management incompetence!

Especially when your writing out the bit of paper the customer signs(Sorry I don't know the names), hoping there going to be in, then to write the red docket if they aren't.

Just to clarify - just a bit confused as to what you had to take out and which type of trolley - what mail did you have in your High Capacity Trolley?

It was the one that looks like a golf bag pull along. I had one bag full of letters, one full of packets on the other and one of the thin material bags with packets. I was turning over letters and trying to search both the bags to find that's maybe been left on the rack, or its in the van with the bulk. Then when I finished my first loop, I was getting handed the same thing over and over.

If you haven't already - join the Union and find out who your office rep is and get him/her on board with what's going off.

I joined the first day. I emailed a high representative today who was there on the first day and I give him his dues, he rang me within 15 minutes. He informed me that I'm not the first person from my depo to reach out to him, and he mentioned its one of the worst. He give me some pointers and to expect a letter if I am off for a week. My depo rep rang me very shortly after that and he seemed like a nice guy. He gave me a tip to never go in without him, they will try to be sneaky and do it in the afternoon.

I understand its a business at the end of the day and I'm trying my best, but nobody should have to be subject to that sort of mental abuse. It just concerns me that this topic dates back 2012 and how many people may have remained silent. These managers are ex posties with no previous experience in a managerial role, with no compassion or duty of care for people in lower positions. In my eyes the whole system is flawed and Royal Mail is failing its workforce. That's just my personal opinion and I hope some can agree.

Thank you yellowbelly for taking the time to reply.

12 Mar 2018, 22:45

Zop0 wrote:
Hindsight's a wonderful thing but you've probably realised now not to offer to do O/T until you've got used to delivering.

I have quickly learned that. Your the managers best friend and they exploit the people that will always say yes. Your pulled on performance if you say no.

WTF!!! - No wonder you took ages - management incompetence!

Especially when your writing out the bit of paper the customer signs(Sorry I don't know the names), hoping there going to be in, then to write the red docket if they aren't.

Just to clarify - just a bit confused as to what you had to take out and which type of trolley - what mail did you have in your High Capacity Trolley?

It was the one that looks like a golf bag pull along. I had one bag full of letters, one full of packets on the other and one of the thin material bags with packets. I was turning over letters and trying to search both the bags to find that's maybe been left on the rack, or its in the van with the bulk. Then when I finished my first loop, I was getting handed the same thing over and over.

If you haven't already - join the Union and find out who your office rep is and get him/her on board with what's going off.

I joined the first day. I emailed a high representative today who was there on the first day and I give him his dues, he rang me within 15 minutes. He informed me that I'm not the first person from my depo to reach out to him, and he mentioned its one of the worst. He give me some pointers and to expect a letter if I am off for a week. My depo rep rang me very shortly after that and he seemed like a nice guy. He gave me a tip to never go in without him, they will try to be sneaky and do it in the afternoon.

I understand its a business at the end of the day and I'm trying my best, but nobody should have to be subject to that sort of mental abuse. It just concerns me that this topic dates back 2012 and how many people may have remained silent. These managers are ex posties with no previous experience in a managerial role, with no compassion or duty of care for people in lower positions. In my eyes the whole system is flawed and Royal Mail is failing its workforce. That's just my personal opinion and I hope some can agree.

Thank you yellowbelly for taking the time to reply.

I too am new and in the same position ; as saddening as the situation is for any person to experience I thank you for sharing which helps me combat the gas lighting from management and willing colleagues.

Keep smiling ;)

What are we going to do about this long term?

13 Mar 2018, 09:08

I too am new and in the same position ; as saddening as the situation is for any person to experience I thank you for sharing which helps me combat the gas lighting from management and willing colleagues.

Have you contacted your union rep? I received an email at the start of the job 'Welcome To The CWU' then it should have your depo name. I contacted the email under the heading 'Branch Contact Details'.

What are we going to do about this long term?

I can PM you and let you know the outcome once I return to work if you like? If its the case it continues, I'll just be walking out. I don't let people threaten me with the fear of job security. Its funny in my depo, they wonders why so many people leave within the first month and is it any wonder. 100% happening nationwide! :arrrghhh

Keep smiling ;)

You too mate :thumbup

13 Mar 2018, 11:01

Also any time they have you out past 4pm. Refer them to this https://business.help.royalmail.com/app ... t-times%3F. The union guy mentioned this to me, and said I shouldn't have been out walking so late to begin with.

15 Mar 2018, 21:39

Zop0 wrote:Also any time they have you out past 4pm. Refer them to this https://business.help.royalmail.com/app ... t-times%3F. The union guy mentioned this to me, and said I shouldn't have been out walking so late to begin with.

the key word is "endeavour" RM can argue that most of the time a delivery will be assigned to a certain person and the workload tends to be suitable for everything to be delivered by the times they state. When people go off sick or its a particularly heavy day, its not seen as typical circumstances so overtime is used so they "endeavoured" to have the mail delivered by 3pm but they failed in their "endeavour" So its a bit pointless to refer them that, unless someone is literally going past these times most days, this is where there clearly is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Re: Bullying and harassment in delivery offices

16 Mar 2018, 10:58

tommyrep wrote:Without any question of doubt, this is THE single most important issue going on at the moment, that effects delivery staff on a daily basis and appears to be rife throughout most of the DO's in the UK.
The intimidation directed towards individuals, who only wish to work their contracted hours, has been allowed to go on unaddressed by the Union at national level for far too long. The fact that the duty spans are often unachievable within normal time, results in pressure being put onto OPG's to complete delivery - with poor performance accusations directed towards these individuals who only wish to work contracted hours. This needs to be resolved nationally with the union and senior RM management urgently, that is the only solution. MANAGERS need to be instructed to stop this ongoing intimidation towards staff who wish to cut off at their finishing time and have suitable contingency plans in place!
Some areas seem to be worse than others but a national approach is required to stop the maverick managers out there, from imposing their own interpretation of "procedure" onto staff. Call it bullying or harassment, but I prefer to describe it as "intimidation" towards individuals who are only trying to "do the job properly". That is starting on time, having meal breaks and using the tools provided by RM to do the job safely! These people often find themselves under the most pressure and this cannot be allowed to continue without the CWU doing something at the very highest level within the HR establishment on behalf of those bullied staff !!!!
Very well put,I agree 100% with everything you said. This has been going on far to long now.

18 Mar 2018, 20:34

Hi is the official cut off procedure on here anywhere.We absorbing like mad and feel forced to go past my time and do not want to.

18 Mar 2018, 21:48

theeggster wrote:Hi is the official cut off procedure on here anywhere.We absorbing like mad and feel forced to go past my time and do not want to.

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=18563

18 Mar 2018, 23:08

SIX years old thread and nothing has changed apart from it getting worse and more widespread . Think of all that cost and damage and it won't have got them a penny in profit, count up recruitment ,HR ,ATOS ,and the one that will explode ,tribunals plus uso fines ; mind boggling .

01 Apr 2018, 22:15

How do you get them to actually investigate properly and not just fob you off.
Countless complaints, investigating person absolutely useless

02 Apr 2018, 08:29

I wonder if anyone whistle blowed to a big newspaper, what would happen.

You'd like to think the union would support them... :hmmmm

04 Apr 2018, 11:58

Mobey wrote:I wonder if anyone whistle blowed to a big newspaper, what would happen.

You'd like to think the union would support them... :hmmmm

If 'anyone' wanted to do that it would be better to contact someone like Channel Four and have your identity protected. They have secure and encrypted servers to deal with these kind of communications.
Given RM policy on talking to the media it is likely the CWU would not be in a position to back you up. So anonymously reporting any allegations or arranging for your identity not to be released would be the way to go.

Re: Bullying and harassment in delivery offices

18 Apr 2018, 07:16

tommyrep wrote:Without any question of doubt, this is THE single most important issue going on at the moment, that effects delivery staff on a daily basis and appears to be rife throughout most of the DO's in the UK.
The intimidation directed towards individuals, who only wish to work their contracted hours, has been allowed to go on unaddressed by the Union at national level for far too long. The fact that the duty spans are often unachievable within normal time, results in pressure being put onto OPG's to complete delivery - with poor performance accusations directed towards these individuals who only wish to work contracted hours. This needs to be resolved nationally with the union and senior RM management urgently, that is the only solution. MANAGERS need to be instructed to stop this ongoing intimidation towards staff who wish to cut off at their finishing time and have suitable contingency plans in place!
Some areas seem to be worse than others but a national approach is required to stop the maverick managers out there, from imposing their own interpretation of "procedure" onto staff. Call it bullying or harassment, but I prefer to describe it as "intimidation" towards individuals who are only trying to "do the job properly". That is starting on time, having meal breaks and using the tools provided by RM to do the job safely! These people often find themselves under the most pressure and this cannot be allowed to continue without the CWU doing something at the very highest level within the HR establishment on behalf of those bullied staff !!!!

I have always questioned if staff who come into work before their official start time,,and work beyond their officlal finish time because they are being bullied into doing so are covered by employers insurance,,since they are not supposed to be on the premises before their official start time..whenever I have raised this issue with the DM have always ben told that its >their choice>,,

18 Apr 2018, 09:31

A query that's been asked many times, and the answer is "yes, they're covered".
An RM employee doing RM work on RM premises will always be covered.

19 Apr 2018, 18:04

Whether RM are insured or not is irrelevant as far as we are concerned. It's their cover not ours. What is more relevant is what level of compensation your legal representation could hope to recover bearing in mind you may have been somewhere you shouldn't have been.

Where there's blame there's a claim and where there's reciprocal blame there's...well obviously less of a claim.

19 Apr 2018, 18:13

And obviously on the flipside if you cause an accident while you're somewhere you shouldn't be and that results in injury to a third party...It's going to be a very bad day.

The word disavowed springs to mind along with human sacrifice and thrown to the wolves.

26 Apr 2018, 08:51

i think all managers all across the country are very similar when it comes to cutting off, I think the best thing to do if it was me is to just inform your manager when your tying up whether your going to need support or not. Never take mail/parcels out if you know that your not going to complete if it’s a heavy day.
Sometimes we all know something out the ordinary happens and we are in traffic or something happens on your walk and you can’t avoid cutting off, and again even though some of us refuse outright haha... if you can text or call them and give them as much notice as possible I’m sure it will be okay.

Couple of my mates are managers and when they leave sometimes at 3pm and someone gives them two loops I with no warning I can understand why they get the jump, but I’ve also been on the receiving end of DOMs and managers who are complete dicks and have never done a duty in there life, yet they look at a frame and they think there isn’t much there and decide themselves how long it should take us.

They don’t see blocks of flats, they don’t see the long driveways and until they look at what we do from our perspective as well we will always have this manager v postie conflict.
I’ve recently been doing 46hours a week and now I’ve had to go back down to 25 hours because I have a part time contract and our office has massively overspent on its budget. I haven’t got a leg to stand on really? Because that’s what my contract states I must do, but it’s a gentle reminder that when it’s christmas or whenever we go through any other really busy periods where they are begging you to help them out, next time I might reconsider that overtime because all managers will do is use you.
So as long as your mentality is if it works for me then I will do it, than that’s the way to go I think but never let anybody force you into doing anything your either uncomfortable with or you know it can’t be done and like someone said go get your union rep that’s what you pay them for.

I agree with someone who said about them feeling slow, trust me fella I would imagine your not slow at all but you just find yourself in an office where managers will always want more out of you.
For he last 4 months I have been on one of the toughest walks in my office (maybe I’m a bit biased! Haha) but I have been completing everyday and getting it done.
Now I’m back on 25 hours on a Wednesday and Thursdays I’m cutting off everyday because there physically isn’t enough time by the time I get out there to complete.
I know I’m not slow, but if management put me in positions where I can’t complete that’s there problem not mine. They have to ‘manage’ and get that loop covered. So just keep your heads up and focus on you and your best interest and if you get any grief go see the union rep.

26 Apr 2018, 09:55

Because that’s what my contract states I must do, but it’s a gentle reminder that when it’s christmas or whenever we go through any other really busy periods where they are begging you to help them out, next time I might reconsider that overtime because all managers will do is use you.

Yep, this is key. It's all about maintaining goodwill and having a long memory. Way I've been treated past month over various things, I shall be smiling and shaking my head maybe this Xmas time when they come round begging.

30 Apr 2018, 19:41

crimson king wrote:Because that’s what my contract states I must do, but it’s a gentle reminder that when it’s christmas or whenever we go through any other really busy periods where they are begging you to help them out, next time I might reconsider that overtime because all managers will do is use you.

Yep, this is key. It's all about maintaining goodwill and having a long memory. Way I've been treated past month over various things, I shall be smiling and shaking my head maybe this Xmas time when they come round begging.

As soon as they want you to do extra hours policy decline and if others follow suit they’ll be forced to open up FT vacancies

12 May 2018, 08:33

Creditshampoo wrote:
crimson king wrote:Because that’s what my contract states I must do, but it’s a gentle reminder that when it’s christmas or whenever we go through any other really busy periods where they are begging you to help them out, next time I might reconsider that overtime because all managers will do is use you.

As soon as they want you to do extra hours policy decline and if others follow suit they’ll be forced to open up FT vacancies

I totally agree, in an ideal world. Trouble is not everyone will follow suit, either through not seeing the bigger picture or simply needing the overtime money to pay the rent or feed the family. And let's not forget those that feel bullied and harassed, worry about being moved from their duty or are just too non confrontational to decline, either politely or not so politely.

In that respect RM has us over a barrel. You can politely declined as much as you like but the manager knows he won't have to walk too many frames before he finds a volunteer (willing or otherwise).

It sucks, quite frankly, and unbelievable that such a situation exists in this day and age.

Previous page Next page

Page 14 of 19   1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19