not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

29 Jul 2018, 09:11

Will do cheers

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

01 Aug 2018, 22:44

Cover yourself when you leave the office and tell them you will try your best
That way if it becomes to much you can return some mail

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

02 Aug 2018, 10:10

Hi Daisy

Mr C is a relatively new postie - he started in Jan -. He got one of those work man/plumber/electricman holster things that straps on to his belt & he puts all his pens, rubber bands, red forms etc inside that. He takes about 5 assorted pens out on his walks, plus sharpie pens & jumbo markers. Does anyone else take so many pens????

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

06 Aug 2018, 09:55

Having been in the job for over a year, my advice would be very quickly get the measure of your Office politics and if it's anything like mine a) leave, before you lose your sanity b) grow a pair and a backbone and do not let them intimidate you into doing what wasn't in the job description
c) Get educated about your rights and rules prompto using this site and be prepared for a fight.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

06 Aug 2018, 16:49

DaisyDoodles wrote:Some days I just can't win! My Wednesday hours are 9.30am to 2.30pm... Rocked up at 08.10am and got told off for being 10 minutes late!

out of interest, if your hours are 9.30a-2.30p why did you come in at 8.10a in the first place ?

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

07 Aug 2018, 18:03

Postie45 wrote:
DaisyDoodles wrote:Some days I just can't win! My Wednesday hours are 9.30am to 2.30pm... Rocked up at 08.10am and got told off for being 10 minutes late!

out of interest, if your hours are 9.30a-2.30p why did you come in at 8.10a in the first place ?

Happened to me when I first started last year. Was contracted Thursday-Sunday (covering callers office) 9-2.30. After a week of starting on time my manager cane and told me that my starting time is meant to be 8.30 and my contract is wrong. A couple weeks later I started getting asked to come in at 6.45 to cover a duty for 2 weeks. After I was moved off that duty I obviously thought I’d need to come in at my normal time, but come 7.45 I had something like 5/6 missed calls from management telling me I’m late to work. Got asked to come off sundays and do full time hours Monday - Saturday. Ended up covering the Sunday for 6 months because they were “looking to hire someone to do it”. I eventually kicked off and got the union involved, I was working 6 days over Christmas, being badgered for overtime constantly and getting stressed out. I scratched their backs and they could never scratch mine when all I asked for was to have 1 set day off each week so I can plan to do things, I asked for Monday’s which I don’t see as unreasonable. I still do full time Monday to Saturday which I don’t mind at all, but still have no contract to reflect it. If I’m not offered one in the next 12 months I’ll kick off once again, or if they tell me to work my contracted hours only from now on. The job isn’t worth the s**t sometimes.

Managers dish it, you don’t have to take it. That’s my advice to new starters. Join the union and talk to them to know your rights and know the rules.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

12 Oct 2018, 16:28

I hold the PDA hanging off my wrist on the arm that is holding my bundle. What a fiddle that is! I've tried every way of doing it but I need my finger on my bundle hand to push the letter box open so hanging off the wrist is better but it keeps banging on the front door and people think I am knocking and answer on the odd occasion!

Half the time I don't need the PDA and I really think I would need it on a holder on belt or shoulder. How do I go about ordering one? Do I go see a manager or just go and get my own thing just to clip onto my belt and let it sit in a holder?

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

22 Oct 2018, 21:26

:crazy:
Wakewaterblue wrote:I hold the PDA hanging off my wrist on the arm that is holding my bundle. What a fiddle that is! I've tried every way of doing it but I need my finger on my bundle hand to push the letter box open so hanging off the wrist is better but it keeps banging on the front door and people think I am knocking and answer on the odd occasion!

Half the time I don't need the PDA and I really think I would need it on a holder on belt or shoulder. How do I go about ordering one? Do I go see a manager or just go and get my own thing just to clip onto my belt and let it sit in a holder?

There are two types available which can be ordered for you by your DOM if you ask them. There is a stiffened fabric box type version that connects to your belt or top of trousers and a shoulder holster type that hangs to one side of your waist. I didn't try the box type one as I didn't like the look of it but I have been using the shoulder holster for a while now and have found it very useful. Before I was often dropping it on the ground and it was only a matter of time before I actually broke the PDA. It also keeps the PDA on me all the time which will accurately record the true length of the walk. What RM have on file as regards walk lengths is largely inaccurate and shows walks are shorter than their true lengths.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

23 Oct 2018, 20:17

For me it`s easier to keep it in my trouser`s or coat pocket, I take it out only when I need it.
I tried the pda holster and it`s too rigid, not for me.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

24 Oct 2018, 05:17

Janet Brum wrote:For me it`s easier to keep it in my trousers

For others that isn't so easy but we should all try, especially on delivery.
It's good advice for new posties.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

24 Oct 2018, 09:38

clashcityrocker wrote:
Janet Brum wrote:For me it`s easier to keep it in my trousers

For others that isn't so easy but we should all try, especially on delivery.
It's good advice for new posties.

:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

04 Nov 2018, 07:55

More tips for new starters.

Before you get your uniform, don't wear jeans. Buy some cargo pants.
Always have a notepad and plenty of pens, they will run out quickly.
It might be different in other offices but it's been a nightmare trying to get any annual leave booked in. At interview and when you apply make sure you tell them you have some holidays booked in.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

04 Nov 2018, 10:44

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
My feet are on fire wrote:I've been approached by a business asking if royalmail can deliver their leaflets to all the areas covered by our office. This may be a stupid question but is this one of those leads that would get me a bonus?

Possibly get their details.

But they may also ask you to do it on the QT - Don't its a sackable offence.

RM have numerous rules in their contracts with customers such as if a company wishes to use the new LAT product they have to also have an ordinary contract with RM to deliver mail/parcels as well. With the D2D there is a minimum amount, I think it's ten thousand leaflets or something like that, so if the business wanted to do a smaller amount or even a one-off drop it may not be possible.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

04 Nov 2018, 11:01

cirensiren wrote:Hi Daisy

Mr C is a relatively new postie - he started in Jan -. He got one of those work man/plumber/electricman holster things that straps on to his belt & he puts all his pens, rubber bands, red forms etc inside that. He takes about 5 assorted pens out on his walks, plus sharpie pens & jumbo markers. Does anyone else take so many pens????

I have found the RM shoulder holster to be the best so far. It saves dropping the PDA on the ground occasionally and is even okay when I have a pouch on my shoulder on the one walking section on my walk. More importantly it adds walking up to every door or delivery point on your walk on the PDA actuals data. They should not be able to ignore that and could or should be used in the future to make all walks similar in length.
I get taken the Mick out of but it's okay to have a few pens in your shirt pocket. Use your larger trouser pockets for 739 cards and put elastic bands either in the mail pouch pockets or on the gear stick if you are on a rural. Dont drop bands on the floor as they can kill or harm wildlife such as hedgehogs - not that we see many hedgehogs nowadays. It's mostly dead Badgers now. :sad:

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

06 Nov 2018, 12:43

First of all make sure you have joined the union and speak to your rep in the DO or Area Rep. Don't be shy about it either, that's why they are there. Did you get any training on these rounds?

Contrary to what some say, there are not really any shortcuts in this job. If you are walking at a steady pace, not reading mail as you walk, using your trolley, not cutting over gardens, taking your break's, trying neighbours when possible and writing out dockets fully.

All of this is fully endorsed as the way to do the job correctly by the Royal Mail and CWU. It is those that choose not to do this that mess it up for everyone by making it look like you can do the job quicker somehow. But this can only happen really if: a) you jog around or/ and b) you do not follow the methods as above correctly.

Believe me, cutting over gardens - not using the trolley, not correctly filling out dockets, rarely trying neighbours, not taking a break will quicken you up maybe by an hour or more. I can testify to that!

But it is a pointless counter productive obsession by posties to for some reason expose themselves to reprisal. Macho-ism, pride, habit or ignorance or stupidity. If you slip with a bag on your shoulder, it's your fault. If you recieve complaints of walking on gardens - it's your fault. If you slip on a garden or verge - it's your fault. If you make a mistake on a docket, it's your fault. If you trip whilst reading as walking with a bag on your shoulder and break your wrist - it's your fault. If a customer tries to say they didn't receive a parcel and you doorstepped or left it somewhere without inputting the correct info into the PDA and left a docket - it's your fault.

Management bank on those who are new being intimidated, naive, coerced into just getting the work done no matter what - ignorance is bliss to them. Until something goes wrong or you injure yourself- then it's your fault.

So, carry on doing what you do, take your breaks, ask the manager to come out and show you what else can be done to speed up (he/she won't), ask them for a look at the PDA actuals - with a union rep with you as well. Start on your time - not early. Oh, and make sure you are familiar with the cutting of procedure

Stand your ground and don't get into the routine of 99% of the rest - too scared to do the job correctly and just grumble quietly. Management rely on these posties to earn their bonus! Set out your stall from now - not a mug or pushover. They get the message eventually - but will need reminding occassionally. Like yesterday I had a bag drop less than an hour before I was due to finish - so I said to the driver tell the Line Manager I will be bringing it back if I can't finish - what happened? He sent someone to take some of the mail from me to complete. LOL :dance

I'm sure your DO also has it's favourites who finish early everyday - they have the shortest/ easiest rounds, therefore they can cover it until they are supposed to finish.

Previous page Next page

Page 20 of 21   1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21