not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

20 Dec 2017, 14:28

Think I might stop reading this forum now...it's putting me off.

Waiting for the checks to come back before getting a start date, hope my DO is a decent one.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

20 Dec 2017, 20:37

Devoned wrote:Think I might stop reading this forum now...it's putting me off.

Waiting for the checks to come back before getting a start date, hope my DO is a decent one.

Don't let it put you off. It is really a good job. Just management make it harder than it needs to be. Also to be fair this forum is a really good place for help and advise. Good luck with your new job. :thumbup

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

26 Dec 2017, 08:23

quick reminder - Just a few specific rules though for this thread.

1. No doom and gloom, please.
2. Only 1 piece of advice per post just to keep from overwhelming the newbies. But post as much as advice as you want.
3. No swearing.
4. No them and us posts.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

08 Feb 2018, 21:09

I've started on a 24hr contract but on the sign in sheets I'm on 5 day 8-3. The walk isn't finishing until 4.30 or 5 everyday will I get paid for the extra hours as long as I sign out at my actual finishing time?

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

08 Feb 2018, 21:19

Yes you will, make sure you let your manager know every morning how many hours he owes you from the previous day, he will pay without problems especially that you`re a new starter.
And write down on a callendar how many hours you worked, how much overtime you did every day and wich walks you did, it will come handy if you have to remind your manager to pay you.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

10 Mar 2018, 20:33

Wear gym leggings under your trousers, they'll chaff the backs of your knees and crotch area for about 8 washes

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

21 Mar 2018, 17:42

My feet are on fire wrote:I've started on a 24hr contract but on the sign in sheets I'm on 5 day 8-3. The walk isn't finishing until 4.30 or 5 everyday will I get paid for the extra hours as long as I sign out at my actual finishing time?

Depends on the DO. Every office is run differently.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

21 Mar 2018, 19:23

My question is
I started in November and have Tuesdays off,over Xmas my rest day was Boxing Day and New Year’s Day,Next week I’ve been given good Friday off,does not seem right to me ?.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

21 Mar 2018, 20:34

Ask your manager if he added 3 days to your annual holiday entitlement.
And next time when you get a bank holiday as a day off, go ask your manager for a proper day off.
No one can do it for you, ask your colleagues as well if you`re not sure of something.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

21 Mar 2018, 22:08

For peace of mind make sure you take out insurance that covers legal costs.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

29 May 2018, 18:49

Any advice on how I can speed up? Day 5 of being a Postie and the first time I was out on doing all five loops by my myself.

It seems I slowed my full time buddy down massively as they're used to finishing two hours early. Apparently I made them over an hour late. Not sure how as my hours are 8.40 to 13.40 on a Tuesday and we left the DO at 8.40 and were back at 13.55 and I thought I did OK considering.

I seem to have trouble holding the bundles of mail whilst sorting through and zapping anything that looks like a QR code or a bar code. Add that to trying to remember where every house is, steps and hills, leaflets and 739s and you can see why I'm not as fast as they are. I just felt a bit demoralised today especially when they left after getting back without so much as a 'see you tomorrow'.

Any tips will be appreciated...I'm not going to let this beat me.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

29 May 2018, 21:15

Hmm that's a bit out of order but some posties are like that but most aren't. I think your last line is important and shows you have good mentality. Don't let it get to you, know that you will get quicker the more you do it. I think most of us sonetimes struggle trying to juggle large bundles, packets and the pda. I find it easiest just to dump it down on the doorstep and then scan packets. Every postie knows new starters are gonna be slow, hopefully others will offer more support if you go out with them. If you have any doubts or questions soeak to the workplace coach as that's why they get extra money

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

29 May 2018, 23:19

We all need to slow down a bit now otherwise there will be consequences.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

30 May 2018, 09:47

DaisyDoodles wrote:Any advice on how I can speed up? Day 5 of being a Postie and the first time I was out on doing all five loops by my myself.

It seems I slowed my full time buddy down massively as they're used to finishing two hours early. Apparently I made them over an hour late. Not sure how as my hours are 8.40 to 13.40 on a Tuesday and we left the DO at 8.40 and were back at 13.55 and I thought I did OK considering.

I seem to have trouble holding the bundles of mail whilst sorting through and zapping anything that looks like a QR code or a bar code. Add that to trying to remember where every house is, steps and hills, leaflets and 739s and you can see why I'm not as fast as they are. I just felt a bit demoralised today especially when they left after getting back without so much as a 'see you tomorrow'.

Sorry to hear that you have an unsupportive colleague. To me it sounds like you are doing fine, especially for a new starter! I managed to get a PDA holster that attaches to my belt, that makes things easier for me as hate juggling everything.

Some posties may do the following to be quicker (I am not advising this):

- Doorstepping parcels
- Walking across gardens
- Running
- Not taking breaks
- Only filling out certain sections of a P379.
- Not picking up rubber bands that they have dropped.

If your coworker does this and also has good knowledge of the round, then that is why you can't compete!

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

30 May 2018, 18:33

Aah... That's why I'm loads slower then. I'm not taking shortcuts across gardens or doorstepping packets and parcels... I'm even writing out 739s in full.

I'm going try to get myself one of those PDA holsters and also a pen on a lanyard!

Ah well... I'm bound to get quicker with experience. Thanks for your advice everyone.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

30 May 2018, 20:17

DaisyDoodles wrote:Any advice on how I can speed up? Day 5 of being a Postie and the first time I was out on doing all five loops by my myself.

Daisy - if the 5 loops you did by yourself was your full 'share' of the duty you didn't make them an hour 'late' - you were 15 mins over your allotted time
- after 5 days I would have been happy with that. It will feel like you're all fingers and thumbs at the moment - you'll get into a routine on your delivery
pretty soon. If they're two hours early regularly I would suggest there's possibly something amiss with either the way they're
delivering or the size of the round. I know of a quick postie but he's one who gets a lot of complaints (mostly to the reserve/cover posties who have to cover his round!!!).

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

30 May 2018, 22:02

Some days I just can't win! My Wednesday hours are 9.30am to 2.30pm... Rocked up at 08.10am and got told off for being 10 minutes late! Pointed out what my hours are and got told "well...We've just had a bank holiday and the hours are different then". Would have helped to have been told... 5 minutes later I'm being asked to work my day off!

Anyhoo... Today we finished at 2pm. Which is fine on my hours but over on my buddy's hours. Turns out our hours don't tally up at all and the upshot of it all is that I'll end up doing permenant overtime to fit in with them which I'm not exactly ecstatic about.

I'm sure it'll all get better with time,at least it better had. So far not really impressed with the lack of communication from Management or the lack of support.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

31 May 2018, 16:45

Got offered bank holiday in lieu as S/A payment. It’s been put on this weeks rota. Does that mean I don’t have a day off and just get my bank holiday as overtime? Seems a bit naughty if that’s the case and I could’ve just had the day off as holiday and get paid almost the same.

I’d ask my managers but they weren’t around when I came back today

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

31 May 2018, 19:33

DaisyDoodles wrote:Some days I just can't win! My Wednesday hours are 9.30am to 2.30pm... Rocked up at 08.10am and got told off for being 10 minutes late! Pointed out what my hours are and got told "well...We've just had a bank holiday and the hours are different then". Would have helped to have been told... 5 minutes later I'm being asked to work my day off!

Anyhoo... Today we finished at 2pm. Which is fine on my hours but over on my buddy's hours. Turns out our hours don't tally up at all and the upshot of it all is that I'll end up doing permenant overtime to fit in with them which I'm not exactly ecstatic about.

I'm sure it'll all get better with time,at least it better had. So far not really impressed with the lack of communication from Management or the lack of support.

Sounds like a complete mess. First of all having a bank holiday in a week does NOT mean that any duty start or end times for the remaining days in that week will change. It may be that some other days in that week will be busier than usual but nothing else changes.
If your start time is 0930 then come in ten minutes early if you like but don't come in 90 minutes before your time. If it is the DOM telling you to come in 90 minutes early ask if you will have your duty time amended and be paid for it. If they say no don't do it.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

31 May 2018, 19:39

MinTee wrote:Got offered bank holiday in lieu as S/A payment. It’s been put on this weeks rota. Does that mean I don’t have a day off and just get my bank holiday as overtime? Seems a bit naughty if that’s the case and I could’ve just had the day off as holiday and get paid almost the same.

I’d ask my managers but they weren’t around when I came back today

If you are due to do an SA on a day which falls on a bank holiday you get paid for it as usual but you don't have to do it.
You get paid for bank holidays if they don't fall on your day off or AL.
If a bank holiday falls on your day off or AL you get a day in lieu to book where there is space on the holiday sheet.

Previous page Next page

Page 14 of 16   1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16