not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

05 Nov 2015, 12:10

Hi roadie82,
I'd say go for it. I'm a new postie (not done a Christmas yet apart from a casual drafted into deliveries last year). The first few weeks were hard (I seriously thought it would be a doddle) but it gets easier. The banter in the office makes it worthwhile and the vast majority of folk you'll meet on your rounds are ok. Don't know what Weston's like, but go into it expecting a' challenging' few weeks and see how it goes.
Foxy

Facts & figures for newbies.

05 Mar 2016, 22:05

1.You get 3 minutes per close/house with mostly 3 floors & 6 flats . ( a 4 hour walk should have maximum 80 closes assuming you only have closes in your walk. If you have other points of delivery like shops or single houses then it should have less than 80 closes for a 4 hour walk)

2.You get 15 minutes for pouching off.

3.In my office the system was we have vertical marked up slots for different days of Door to doors. Lets say for Tuesday we have 1 vertical section which can seen in the picture on the table of the frame. So ask the manager ASAP why you are made to deliver the vertical sections of lets say Monday or Wednesday. As for Monday the door to doors should have been delivered by the guy on that day & for Wednesday the door to door will be delivered by the guy tomorrow.

Can someone correct the facts & figures if am wrong.
Please mention new facts & figures so that it can be useful for the newbie posties.
The reason am interested in these facts & figures because you cannot get this info from your office or any other source. Secondly with this info you are better equipped for argument with your manager instead of just saying I cannot do overtime.

What the hell did I get myself into?!??!

07 Mar 2016, 00:48

What you need

Worked for me as its good for knee which is abused in our job.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osteo-Bi-Flex-S ... B00B18A1W2

Good for joints.
http://www.boots.com/en/Seven-Seas-Cod- ... sules_505/

I used to mix it with Kellogs Special K to make a smoothie for breakfast before I leave office.
http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/dyma ... 2275g/3858

Just a few sip in a very small cup if you feel sleepy.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rocket-Fuel-Ene ... B0043PVZNY

I cant remember which one but I had one which was very thick and acted as cushion.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Work ... B005342GU0

Helps the feet
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orthotic-insole ... 831&sr=1-1
http://www.boots.com/en/Scholl-Shock-Ab ... -_1213121/

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

21 Apr 2016, 22:12

Don't work for free - I've been a postie for 8 months and you really need to write down after each shift start and finish times and book them the next working day. management will with a shadow of a doubt have you working for free, and they have no thought about it unless you push for it.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

04 May 2016, 16:32

My advice is don't be expected to be treated fairly.
Expect injustices, don't expect a bigger contract, it won't happen.
Expect lots of physical pain especially the first month or so.
Expect to be too knackard to do another job in the evening to make up for your tiny contract.
Expect plenty of overtime.
Expect the manager will pressure you to do more work.
Don't expect manager to care about you.
Join the union as soon as you can.

It's not the worst job in the world but a reality check is needed, this is now a company with shareholders and they want as much return on their investment as possible and they are penny pinching at every opportunity.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

18 May 2016, 12:56

Hi. Good advice so far.

I'm a new starter in Kent and have a summer and winter (December) holiday already booked. I've heard that all leave is usually refused in December but should RM honour holidays that I've already booked prior to joining them? I know one it mentions that they would be honoured in the welcome information but what's the reality that others have experienced?

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

18 May 2016, 13:32

PoStIeInThEmAkInG wrote:Hi. Good advice so far.

I'm a new starter in Kent and have a summer and winter (December) holiday already booked. I've heard that all leave is usually refused in December but should RM honour holidays that I've already booked prior to joining them? I know one it mentions that they would be honoured in the welcome information but what's the reality that others have experienced?



They usually honour the ones throughout the year no problems at all. However, as you say for December there is a usually a leave ban in place so I would alert your manager as soon as possible. They may try to pressure you into changing it, and they may raise issues with the Christmas Bonus £100 (39 hours pro rata) (+£100 other also pro-rata) so check them as well.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

18 May 2016, 18:49

Hi,

I'm due to start soon and I'm wondering if your allowed to wear your own hat? for example , I have a black berghaus gore tex cap for the heavy rain and I'm wondering if I'll be allowed to wear that because it isn't part of the official uniform

Also what about shoes can you wear your own as ive read the standard issue ones are uncomfortable

Thanks

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

19 May 2016, 14:45

Hat wise you should be OK, I'd assume as long as there are no massive logos?

Shoes are a bit different, and I'd check with your manager as it could be classed as the wrong safety equipment. If anything were to happen they could blame the lack of 'official' footwear?

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

20 May 2016, 19:16

General footwear isn't safety equipment.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

21 May 2016, 14:11

t3mcIUQWE2 wrote:General footwear isn't safety equipment.



A lesson Royal Mail need to learn according to the HSE. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74742

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

25 May 2016, 16:48

Take your breaks. Do not rush your prep you will get faster after a few weeks. If in doubt ask your coach or manager. The job can be stressful if you clock watch so try not to make any plans to close to your finish time.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

22 Jun 2016, 11:06

1.Do not run or rush too much on your walk as you may injure yourself.If you are new you may be slow and book overtime accordingly. Don't feel guilty that you were slow because its OK as you are new.

2.Once you are on the walk you will gain normal speed same as others.As far as I know its 3 minutes for a close ( a building with 3 floors and 2 flats on each floor.

3.When a customer asks something then listen to them attentively and answer them carefully instead of rushing as you are losing time.

4.Finally make sure you get all overtime on your payslip. This week's overtime will appear on next week's payslip.

5.Finally if in doubt about your finish time always notify the manager before leaving the D.O that you want to finish on time & don't need any overtime.

6.Most important of all is health. Make sure your diet has protein, omega 3 & especially joint supplements etc as its physically demanding. Have proper breakfast and take food with low GI as it will make you feel fuller for longer.

7.Stressful dealings with managers can take its toll.Try to deal with them arguing for your rights and what's right.Also don't take shortcuts or apply cheats and do your work correctly so that you can look into the eyes of the managers and answer them with pride. For that you need be well equipped with knowledge. Search this website as its an excellent source for all information. Finally leave stress at work & don't let it spoil your mood at home.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

28 Jun 2016, 19:45

Some good advice here. Can the cwu not get their own "starter pack" with all this good advice to enable new starts not to get completely walked all over in the first few months.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

29 Jun 2016, 11:41

Consider joining one of the credit unions available. Ask your colleague's, union rep, or line manager for info. Each time you get a pay rise, if you can afford it, increase your contributions. I wish I joined when I started, as don't miss little amounts each week, and it soon builds up. That's how I afford my family's holiday every year now. Honestly, even if its just the minimum of few quid a week, you wont miss it, and wont regret it.

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

16 Jul 2016, 09:29

CHEESEPIZZA wrote:Consider joining one of the credit unions available. Ask your colleague's, union rep, or line manager for info. Each time you get a pay rise, if you can afford it, increase your contributions. I wish I joined when I started, as don't miss little amounts each week, and it soon builds up. That's how I afford my family's holiday every year now. Honestly, even if its just the minimum of few quid a week, you wont miss it, and wont regret it.



Great advice Cheesie I've been in Commsave for years. It's an easy way to save and a better way to borrow. You can join online www.commsave.co.uk :nana

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

28 Jul 2016, 15:26

Hi all. Sorry for the silly question, but what does ADSO mean? I have been with Royal Mail for 7 weeks now and have been put on next week's rota for ADSO on Saturday?

Thankyou

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

28 Jul 2016, 17:22

jennie-c wrote:Hi all. Sorry for the silly question, but what does ADSO mean? I have been with Royal Mail for 7 weeks now and have been put on next week's rota for ADSO on Saturday?

Thankyou

As directed by supervising officer

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

28 Jul 2016, 22:17

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
jennie-c wrote:Hi all. Sorry for the silly question, but what does ADSO mean? I have been with Royal Mail for 7 weeks now and have been put on next week's rota for ADSO on Saturday?

Thankyou

As directed by supervising officer


Thankyou for that, so I presume they will just pick a random duty that needs covering on the day then?

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

29 Jul 2016, 08:41

Probably

Previous page Next page


Page 12 of 16   1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16