not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

19 Feb 2015, 20:09

Was wondering when the pee bottle would come up. Could you explain spikes? Cheers

19 Feb 2015, 20:16

Chasdad wrote:Was wondering when the pee bottle would come up. Could you explain spikes? Cheers

Use it it the back of the van to pee into.... but not over the mail. Make sure no smart-arse has put a hole in it without you knowing about it though.

Better off taking a "comfort break" by going back to the office. You're entitled to it, so use it if needed.

20 Feb 2015, 02:25

Chasdad wrote:Was wondering when the pee bottle would come up. Could you explain spikes? Cheers

All depends what duty you are on, I go for a leak just as I leave the office and I'm bursting right on 1 hour later every morning and that's me for the rest of the day, one duty has a wee sub-station that is perfect and others have absolutely zilch for the first few hours so I have a drinks bottle that is great for dropping the wee fella into and the day is saved. :Very Happy

Tricks are wear waterproof trousers and you can hold the bottle in there in almost any location, ensure it is large diameter and deep base, not to boast but so you can drop it in one handed and not risk overflowing especially if trying to keep the back doors of the van under control whilst peeing into a bottle held in your waterproof trousers. :chuckle

example of decent bottle

http://www.creativecrash.com/system/pho ... 1251139510

As for spikes, just a rubber pair of coverings that go over your shoes with spikes on the soles to give you grip in the snow and ice like below.

http://www.icegripper.co.uk/media/catal ... uced_1.jpg

20 Feb 2015, 21:52

Cheers for the advice . Laughing now but I'm sure I won't be!

20 Feb 2015, 21:56

wabbithunta wrote:

Use it it the back of the van to pee into.... but not over the mail. Make sure no smart-arse has put a hole in it without you knowing about it though.

Better off taking a "comfort break" by going back to the office. You're entitled to it, so use it if needed

Ta was wondering where yous use the bottle with rm logos and everyone knowing you on sight. Makes sense, also that some joker would sabotage the thing.....

14 Mar 2015, 11:53

Hi all,
I'm a new postman to Royal Mail, could someone just confirm entitlement to breaks and lunch? and if it they are paid or not?
Anticipated thanks
B

14 Mar 2015, 15:08

yes paid

from the way forward agreement: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11941

Conditioned attendances extended by overtime (or by SA on Sunday) consecutive with the beginning or end will attract additional breaks if the entitlement for the total attendance (overtime plus conditioned hours), in the table above, is greater than the breaks already scheduled during the conditioned attendance. For example, an 8 hour conditioned attendance with 4 hours overtime would attract an extra 20 minutes (i.e. 60 minus 40). In most cases, particularly if the additional break is for only 10 minutes, it should be taken between the period of overtime and the normal conditioned attendance.

15 Mar 2015, 08:19

We should have a separate page that's something akin to How [showing my age here...!] as once again TBT [The fount of knowledge!] comes up with the goods.

:wink: :Applause

24 Mar 2015, 09:14

1) Don't expect to get any help from managers... YOU WON'T!!!
2) Don't expect to finish on time... YOU WON'T!!!
3) Don't expect to get any Saturdays off... YOU WON'T!!! (If you're lucky enough to get a day off, it'll be a Tuesday!)
4) Don't expect to enjoy Christmas anymore... YOU WON'T!!!
5) The only thing you can be sure of, is you think this is going to be a good job, in 6 months time.... YOU WON'T!!!

24 Mar 2015, 12:35

First twin weeks both Saturdays off on a 25 hour contract. Might well be because they've got me working on all three heavier days on a duty that's lapsed on all (or most of)the others. Can't imagine it'll last though......apart from that 100% accurate so far Wozza.......

24 Mar 2015, 17:00

wozza1000 wrote:1) Don't expect to get any help from managers... YOU WON'T!!!
3) Don't expect to get any Saturdays off... YOU WON'T!!! (If you're lucky enough to get a day off, it'll be a Tuesday!)
5) The only thing you can be sure of, is you think this is going to be a good job, in 6 months time.... YOU WON'T!!!

A pessimist by nature, are you? lol :crazy:

24 Mar 2015, 22:11

wabbithunta wrote:
A pessimist by nature, are you? lol :crazy:

A pessimist "one who habitually expects the worst"... no expectation here, I've experienced it & watched countless new starters go through the same!

22 Apr 2015, 07:11

Do not let them give you tuesday as a day off every week.I had tue for 3 weeks running and raised my issue,manager said thats how it is.I complained to the manager above him stating my legs are getting hammered due to working heavy days all time and he got me a friday the following week.Unfortunately unless you speak up and stand your ground in this job you will be walked all over like a doormat.

My advice would be to JOIN THE UNION ASAP..i have been on the job for 2 years now as a reserve and have only just joined(awaiting response) i wish i did it sooner,although i did hand a form in the rep obviously didnt bother actioning it!

18 May 2015, 20:15

well after being directed to this forum by blue terrier i dont know what to think! conflicting opinions!! sounds like an office lottery to me..im at liverpool and i know its antiquated and most of the staff have been there since bread was invented so i dont know if thats a good thing? I will just have faith in my own ability but heed the warning about managment/breaks/overtime etc.

I find it strange that theres no actual pages (that i can find?) regrading actual christmas bonuses/overtime pay rates etc i assume its something ill just have to figure out. thanks guys! :Very Happy

20 May 2015, 17:30

You are 100% right! But it only took 3 months! Any way my contract is ending and they are letting me go - because there isn't enough work! Yet they keep asking me to come in early and stay late; almost as if they want people on a 25 hour a week contract to work 40 hours a week. But why advertise for a part timer if you want them to work full time? I could see the writing on the wall when I told the manager I had a school run to do so couldn't come in before 9 and had to finish by 3 at the latest - after that his attitude changed. It is a shame as I love the job - I just don't like working for Royal Mail. Advice for new posties? WATCH YOUR BACK!

30 May 2015, 23:48

Ewah wrote:

You are 100% right! But it only took 3 months! Any way my contract is ending and they are letting me go - because there isn't enough work! Yet they keep asking me to come in early and stay late; almost as if they want people on a 25 hour a week contract to work 40 hours a week. But why advertise for a part timer if you want them to work full time? I could see the writing on the wall when I told the manager I had a school run to do so couldn't come in before 9 and had to finish by 3 at the latest - after that his attitude changed. It is a shame as I love the job - I just don't like working for Royal Mail. Advice for new posties? WATCH YOUR BACK!

That's exactly what they want, at least it is in our office anyway. None of the jobs can be done within part time hours unless a certain amount of prep work is done before the part timers come in. The prep work is rarely done which means they have to do it themselves, then take out the delivery and have to extend. They pay the overtime but the pay isn't pensionable, on the rota'd week off they only pay the 25 hours (though most of the time the postie works at least some of it to try to make up for the lost hours) and it saves on holiday pay too, win win all round for RM.

31 May 2015, 07:55

I think you are wrong about the pension when I do overtime pension contributions are taken up to the full time rate obviously not over the fulltime rate so for me I need to do 12hrs a week to get full pension contribution each week

05 Aug 2015, 11:41

what 2pints said

I started on the longest round at the office on a 20 hour contract doing 40 hours a week

Tuesday was my day off every week for nearly 3 months until I asked whether I could do 4 days instead

ok'd by one manager, one said I had to do 5 days at first but I was able to keep doing 4 days, after a year altogether on that round I was able to transfer to the shortest round at the office 5 days a week which while being impractical with travelling I jumped at the chance since I was sick of the old round by then.

This was at a different office further away than the one I was contracted to, I never even went to that office

advice for new posties?
If you suspect you're being taken advantage of don't try and please the managers/co-workers thinking it might be just be a few weeks until you get moved/sorted out on the rota, you have to speak to them or you'll be stuck with the s**t job, and you won't get any help from the full timers with the cushy rounds til you do

23 Sep 2015, 12:19

I think I am about to be offered a job, but for the first time in 8 years I have some back pain, which is typical isn't it. So don't feel I can start now, which is VERY ANNOYING! Any advice, I guess I will have to let this opportunity go, I don't want to start a job and then look unreliable!

04 Nov 2015, 21:44

Anyone on here work at the weston super mare office? Just interested in hearing what it's like as I've been offered a job there, but after reading the forum I'm slightly worried that I won't enjoy the job.

Previous page Next page

Page 11 of 16   1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16