not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

04 Jun 2010, 16:39

We are getting a few new Posties on RMC and some people applying for jobs with Royal Mail so I thought we could have one place where they can come and get advice from the old and decrepit ones that have managed to survive.

Just a few specific rules though for this thread.

1. No doom and gloom please.
2. Only 1 piece of advice per post just to keep from overwhelming the newbies. But post as much as advice as you want.
3. No swearing.
4. No them and us posts.
5. You can post in any visible or easy to read colour and any size. In fact the more important the bigger is a good way to grade the advice.

Also see here for 'GLOSSARY OF TERMS USED WITHIN ROYAL MAIL'...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12657

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW POSTIES

04 Jun 2010, 16:39

Join the CWU

04 Jun 2010, 17:38

NEVER WORK FOR FREE
when you go over your time, BOOK IT! you can book your overtime on the sheets provided. ask a colleague where they are in your office.
be clear what your start and finish times are.
do not be afraid to ask ... there are no silly questions

04 Jun 2010, 17:40

Don't be scared to ask for help. It will take time to learn just what you need to do the job on a daily basis.

04 Jun 2010, 17:40

also ... this may be futile but

TAKE YOUR MEAL RELIEF

this is one of the few jobs left where your employer pays for your break. use it or lose it!

05 Jun 2010, 23:27

TRUST NO ONE

06 Jun 2010, 05:52

Try to make your bundles around the same size, put the same number in each bag and don't go over the bag weight limit. Learn how long an average bag takes you to deliver. Then it is easier to assess before you leave whether you can keep within your hours. If not inform your Dom and decide whether to cut off or agree overtime pay. It is easier when you are new to have some kind of guidelines as when you don't know the walks or job as well it is hard to guess how long the delivery will take.

06 Jun 2010, 08:08

If you do have to prep your walk then turn a letter back to front so that tells you you have a packet/special and I also find that if I have an a4 size letter put it at the back of the slot for the house as I find that easier then I know it is the last letter for the address,( but that is just my thinking to help me out)
If you don't want to do O/T if you go over then cut off.

Always ask someone don't feel you are alone, or come on hear great advice given

Good luck :wave

07 Jun 2010, 18:38

Dont panic if you feel you are slower than everyone SPEED will come naturally as your experience grows. Dont rush it and make mistakes.

08 Jun 2010, 09:40

If you are told to do something from management that you are unsure of or don't personally agree with,ask someone else,your CWU rep if you can,sometimes management like to try it on with newbies,always get a second opinion from a fellow postie.

08 Jun 2010, 13:20

Lounge Lizard
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:1. No doom and gloom please.

08 Jun 2010, 13:49

Make sure you know who the CWU rep is. Even if you are not a member he should give you advice.
Make sure you know who the workplace coach is (they probably trained you). They are paid extra and should answer any questions you have.
Graffiti, though once common on the toilet walls, is now frowned upon.
(I used to go into the men's toilet just to read it in the old days.)

08 Jun 2010, 15:52

Just stick without if after 6 weeks you feel like you've had enough and you'll not getting anywhere then maybe its not the job for you,but it gets alot easier as it goes on I thought id never get up to speed then bam before you know it your there.

08 Jun 2010, 16:16

For those part timers that are regularly put on new walks then my advice would be if you cant get any pointers from someone who has already done the walk (always useful to find out shortcuts, where to park your car, where drop points are etc) then do your best on the your first day and get a feel of it but try and make a written note of all the roads on your walk. Then when you get home look at this great website:

www.viamichelin.co.uk

this is better than google maps or streetmap.co.uk as it details house numbers. You should be able to suss out the best way to bag up your bundles and where to park if your driving.

08 Jun 2010, 16:59

beastman wrote:For those part timers that are regularly put on new walks then my advice would be if you cant get any pointers from someone who has already done the walk (always useful to find out shortcuts, where to park your car, where drop points are etc) then do your best on the your first day and get a feel of it but try and make a written note of all the roads on your walk. Then when you get home look at this great website:

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk

this is better than google maps or streetmap.co.uk as it details house numbers. You should be able to suss out the best way to bag up your bundles and where to park if your driving.

Don't use your car, I'm sure if you do a search you can find all the incidents of people who've used their own cars and regretted it (crashes and broken into).

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 21   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21