not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

The "How was your day" thread.

30 Jun 2020, 16:14

2yearpostie wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:RM don't give a s**t how early someone comes in before what their start time is meant to be, all they'll see are people finishing before what their finish time is meant to be

If thats the case then in my place we would be paying 5 people to sit and do nothing as they come in later and go out at 12 when the first vans get back. If the vans werent coming back till 3 then nobody would offer to do afternoons and we would have 5 extra walks fail on top of the 3 we are failing anyway.

WE NEED MORE VANS.

If staff weren't working with some flexibility in mind then practically nothing would be getting done in many offices. However, I'm certain there won't be any more vans made available. The vans still sit there not being used for quite a long time between 7am and 7pm.

30 Jun 2020, 17:12

Cucumber wrote:However, I'm certain there won't be any more vans made available. The vans still sit there not being used for quite a long time between 7am and 7pm.

The vans are falling apart on a daily basis up here due to them being worked on double shifts, serious investment needed in a better fleet.

30 Jun 2020, 17:24

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
Cucumber wrote:However, I'm certain there won't be any more vans made available. The vans still sit there not being used for quite a long time between 7am and 7pm.

The vans are falling apart on a daily basis up here due to them being worked on double shifts, serious investment needed in a better fleet.

Going forward, I think the company would be more inclined to invest in new fleet if they were getting, say, 10 hours 'work' from the majority of vans each day.

30 Jun 2020, 17:24

clashcityrocker wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote: The offices break is already scheduled before we go out on delivery

And there you have it.
The meal relief has been scheduled (as part of an agreement between RM and the CWU) but the agreement apparently doesn't apply to you.
If you were to have an accident with fatigue playing a critical role RM would point to the agreement that your break was scheduled but you didn't take it.

Legally your break has been scheduled by the business in line with the current working time directive and in line with its agreements with the union.
You choosing to ignore it doesn't negate its lawfulness.

Give it a rest. Our break is two hours into our shift at 8am. Its an agreement between me and my DOM so no, It doesn't apply to me. He knows when he's looking at the actuals to add 40 mins on to mine. I also log the extra on to the paper register. During this time we have come up with different ways of working. If I were to have an accident they would be hard pressed to say fatigue played a part when the fatiguing part of the day is no different to anyone else's. Why have you two latched on to that? You sound just like the bullying assholes im talking about. Why does it bother you so much?

30 Jun 2020, 17:34

Guys, don't do this. Seriously. :mad

The YouTuber uploaded this an hour ago, saying the postie was kicking the parcel along the pathway. Actually, if you look closely it's more like he's using his foot to slide the parcel along the path. Just pick it up and stack it on the other parcels that are being carried or make another trip from the van.

Good grief. :d'oh!

30 Jun 2020, 18:46

SpacePhoenix wrote:
clockworkjerk wrote:It's the law that the employer can't tell you to take it at the end. If it's your choice to do so and the employer allows it, it's no issue.

WRONG!

Taking breaks

Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:

the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)
workers are allowed to spend it away from their desk or workstation (ie away from where they actually work)

It doesn’t count as a rest break if an employer says an employee should go back to work before their break is finished.

Unless a worker’s employment contract says so, they don’t have the right to:

take smoking breaks
get paid for rest breaks

Don't think the taking all breaks at the end of a shift argument would wash with the HSE

clockworkjerk wrote:The same exact reason that you don't actually have to sign the opt out form for 48 hours - that merely allows an employer to schedule you for 48 hours, you can still choose to do over 48 hours whether you've signed the form or not.

WRONG!

Did you read what I said? Just incase you didn't, I've quoted what I said in your post ...

When reading these things notice the 'should's - which gives you, the choice. If employer allows, some may, some may not. As bent as you thinkg RM is.... every big company allows these things when circumstances allow.

Basically it's better to sign it as you'll continually get flagged up on the system so they'll keep asking, but it doesn't prevent you choosing to do stuff.

30 Jun 2020, 19:21

Ren Hoëk wrote:Give it a rest. Our break is two hours into our shift at 8am. Its an agreement between me and my DOM so no, It doesn't apply to me. He knows when he's looking at the actuals to add 40 mins on to mine. I also log the extra on to the paper register. During this time we have come up with different ways of working.

The DOM might know but the bean counter higher up the food chain won't know, they'll just see someone finishing before there start time and potentially hours that can be taken out.

Ren Hoëk wrote:If I were to have an accident they would be hard pressed to say fatigue played a part when the fatiguing part of the day is no different to anyone else's. Why have you two latched on to that? You sound just like the bullying assholes im talking about. Why does it bother you so much?

If you don't take your break and you have an accident as a result of fatigue you'll be up for a blameworthy and unless it's in writing the DOM will simply deny giving you permission to take your break at the end of the shift. You'd potentially be up for a conduct code charge and in the current environment you'd probably be sacked

30 Jun 2020, 19:36

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:Give it a rest. Our break is two hours into our shift at 8am. Its an agreement between me and my DOM so no, It doesn't apply to me. He knows when he's looking at the actuals to add 40 mins on to mine. I also log the extra on to the paper register. During this time we have come up with different ways of working.

The DOM might know but the bean counter higher up the food chain won't know, they'll just see someone finishing before there start time and potentially hours that can be taken out.

Ren Hoëk wrote:If I were to have an accident they would be hard pressed to say fatigue played a part when the fatiguing part of the day is no different to anyone else's. Why have you two latched on to that? You sound just like the bullying assholes im talking about. Why does it bother you so much?

If you don't take your break and you have an accident as a result of fatigue you'll be up for a blameworthy and unless it's in writing the DOM will simply deny giving you permission to take your break at the end of the shift. You'd potentially be up for a conduct code charge and in the current environment you'd probably be sacked

Your first point has been covered by someone else already and as to why that argument just doesn't fly at the moment. I also covered your second point already. It is irrelevant. So why do YOU care so much about it? Why have you latched on to that aspect of my original post and not the main point of it being that our colleagues are just as responsible for the bullying that goes on in RM.

30 Jun 2020, 21:12

Ren Hoëk wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

Your first point has been covered by someone else already and as to why that argument just doesn't fly at the moment. I also covered your second point already. It is irrelevant. So why do YOU care so much about it? Why have you latched on to that aspect of my original post and not the main point of it being that our colleagues are just as responsible for the bullying that goes on in RM.

The second point is very relevant. Don't come complaining on the forum when you have an accident from fatigue and potentially get sacked :cuppa

30 Jun 2020, 21:27

Blameworthy accident due to fatigue due to no break.
Anyone EVER had this happen? Would appear to be very hard to prove.
In all honesty it all seems to be just so much bullshit from the mouths of the paid liars that make up the management.
Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth.

30 Jun 2020, 21:38

Sir Henry wrote:Blameworthy accident due to fatigue due to no break.
Anyone EVER had this happen? Would appear to be very hard to prove.
In all honesty it all seems to be just so much bullshit from the mouths of the paid liars that make up the management.
Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth.

More than likely would be easy pickings now under the Health & Safety at Work Act. The DOM would deny giving permission for all the breaks to be taken at the end of the shift.

Given that GLS might get split away from RM, RM will be losing money then (AFAIK GLS is the only part of RM that isn't losing money) so they're going to want to make savings. Anyone who could be conduct coded will be easy pickings for savings

30 Jun 2020, 22:06

Top screw might deny it but it would be pretty easy, if it's anything like our place, to show that taking breaks at the end of the shift is widespread and taken with management knowledge and with a paper trail of signing out times and overtime payments.

Outside of some snide comment from a screw designed to warn someone not to affect their bonus by reporting an accident, I've never seen anyone use this.

Other experiences are, as ever, available.

30 Jun 2020, 23:14

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

The second point is very relevant. Don't come complaining on the forum when you have an accident from fatigue and potentially get sacked :cuppa

Give up. I say its irrelevant because i have already covered it. My walking time (The Tiring bit) is exactly the same as everyone else's. How could they tell me I was fatigued? Iv also never heard of it happening. As for your obvious concern for my physical health. I complete my duty and then get home and go for a 5 mile run. I think il be ok for the time being.

01 Jul 2020, 17:53

today was the first time in a while that there has been enough work to take me to my time

02 Jul 2020, 20:31

Any info about England posties being able to use loos in the pubs from Saturday, when they open up again, or do we still need to get back to the depot?

02 Jul 2020, 20:45

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:Any info about England posties being able to use loos in the pubs from Saturday, when they open up again, or do we still need to get back to the depot?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would've thought that it's down to the individual pub to allow posties to use their restroom facilities from Saturday onward. :neutral:

02 Jul 2020, 21:07

PostmanBitesDog wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:Any info about England posties being able to use loos in the pubs from Saturday, when they open up again, or do we still need to get back to the depot?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would've thought that it's down to the individual pub to allow posties to use their restroom facilities from Saturday onward. :neutral:

Some pubs might decide to keep their toilets shut

02 Jul 2020, 22:08

SpacePhoenix wrote:Some pubs might decide to keep their toilets shut

I better not break the seal when I goto the pub next.

02 Jul 2020, 22:53

S.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

05 Jul 2020, 01:09

Today in the UK:

R.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Previous page Next page

Page 611 of 616   1 ... 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614 ... 616