not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



The "How was your day" thread.

26 Mar 2020, 04:17

Delivering a parcel, rang the doorbell, stepped back the requisite 2 metres.

Woman opens door, dog runs out.

"Don't go near him he might have the virus!!"

She was talking to the dog, not me. :shock:

Wanted to shout "then stop ordering sh#te off the internet and don't let your bloody dog out". The dog was friendly but that's not the point,...

Not a great experience that. Don't really feel like we are an essential service and the behaviour of some customers doesn't help (minority at the moment but thinking it could change as the number of cases rise).

The "How was your day" thread.

26 Mar 2020, 18:45

bucks123 wrote:Woman opens door, dog runs out.
"Don't go near him he might have the virus!!"
She was talking to the dog, not me. :shock:

And if that woman cared about the health and well-being of her pet, she'd know that dogs can't catch the COVID-19 virus.

World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses
Can I catch COVID-19 from my pet?

While there has been one instance of a dog being infected in Hong Kong, to date, there is no evidence that a dog, cat or any pet can transmit COVID-19. COVID-19 is mainly spread through droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or speaks. To protect yourself, clean your hands frequently and thoroughly.

WHO continues to monitor the latest research on this and other COVID-19 topics and will update as new findings are available.

WHO.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PostmanBitesDog on 26 Mar 2020, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

The "How was your day" thread.

26 Mar 2020, 19:04

Only had 2 customer's running after me down the street asking were their non-essential, non-tracked parcel was....(hair straighteners was one of them)...maybe essential when we're up and running again and your about to put on your glad rags and hit the town...but in these times? :hmmmm ....yesterday I had 4...so a 50% reduction in people not knowing where their priorities lie... an improvement at least.

I had to say staff levels are down due to Coronavirus, so maybe waiting longer for their parcels. Still a few blank looks and unhappy faces.

The "How was your day" thread.

30 Mar 2020, 16:28

Lots of Thank you, you are doing a great service.Golf balls :arrrghhh ,and 9 items to a customer that was bored and had too much wine on ebay she admitted.D2D only 1 though for pub chain that is obviously shut :arrrghhh .
Overall a normal day apart from the thank you's all from the oldies who don't have any packets.

The "How was your day" thread.

30 Mar 2020, 19:15

Anyone else notice several hundred percent more letters in postboxes on collections today? Was the only bit of good news on a particularly **** day for me today.

The "How was your day" thread.

30 Mar 2020, 21:19

Delivered a Pencil Eraser today.....from China.

The "How was your day" thread.

31 Mar 2020, 15:47

bucks123 wrote:Delivering a parcel, rang the doorbell, stepped back the requisite 2 metres.

Woman opens door, dog runs out.

"Don't go near him he might have the virus!!"

She was talking to the dog, not me. :shock:

Wanted to shout "then stop ordering sh#te off the internet and don't let your bloody dog out". The dog was friendly but that's not the point,...

Not a great experience that. Don't really feel like we are an essential service and the behaviour of some customers doesn't help (minority at the moment but thinking it could change as the number of cases rise).

I would have politely replied and so might you and if you prefer me not to deliver anymore, that can be arranged.

The "How was your day" thread.

31 Mar 2020, 19:16

Great day today. The usual Tuesday of light mail. Streets only had a smidgen of traffic, while the people wandering around looked dazed and confused. Like a scene from The Walking Dead.

The "How was your day" thread.

01 Apr 2020, 16:01

The bumper fell off the van i was driving today our crack mechanics had fixed it to the van with 2 cable ties one of which had snapped the inner bit wasn't even bolted to the frame.

The "How was your day" thread.

02 Apr 2020, 07:28

Late turn in the customer service point

5.40 to 7 pm this: https://youtu.be/CLKl6FIBH0U

7pm - 8pm this: https://youtu.be/LGxPTy0GtrA

3 customers.

The "How was your day" thread.

02 Apr 2020, 09:14

clashcityrocker wrote:Late turn in the customer service point

7pm - 8pm this: https://youtu.be/LGxPTy0GtrA


3 customers.


Glad you're keeping up with your Music Clash :thumbup Don't know how some people Chill Out when they claim they don't listen to ANY music at all? :cuppa

The "How was your day" thread.

03 Apr 2020, 19:53

The amount of scannable items was like a day during Xmas pressure today. The PDA wasn't sending the signals off which isn't unusual on my rural as mobile coverage is very poor if not non-existent. Reached 99+ just doing my usual rural walk then did quarter of a single shared duty which probably added another 30 to the total.
People are obviously just sitting at home ordering tat on the internet. RM saying everything is going to drop right off but no sign of that. I think we only have the Boris virus D2D for next week so that's a bit of luck.
Only good thing about this virus is that it has allowed us to experience doing just delivery and no sorting/prep/redirections - just pull out and deliver. We have only being doing this for a week but it is really tiring and I for one wouldn't be able to do this on a permanent basis. Doing so would just send posties to an early grave. We cannot allow Rico and his cronies to take us in this direction.

The "How was your day" thread.

04 Apr 2020, 15:10

Less than half a tray of mech today, about 20 letters in the 2nd batch. Had a far few cruise mags though. Never in 32 years have I seen so little mail, how was it for everyone else? Took a 20 minute break while out and walked slowly and was still back by 1210. Did I just get lucky or is this a sign of things to come in the next few weeks?

The "How was your day" thread.

04 Apr 2020, 15:20

Our office is an absolute mess. Soo many duties not going out. Packets everywhere. Mail is definately down but only doing duties every 2 days soo not seeing the benefit of it really.

The "How was your day" thread.

05 Apr 2020, 11:49

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Less than half a tray of mech today, about 20 letters in the 2nd batch. Had a far few cruise mags though. Never in 32 years have I seen so little mail, how was it for everyone else? Took a 20 minute break while out and walked slowly and was still back by 1210. Did I just get lucky or is this a sign of things to come in the next few weeks?

Lucky you. Yesterday I double prepped four trays and they were all out of sequence. :arrrghhh

The "How was your day" thread.

05 Apr 2020, 12:20

Dannybuca wrote:Lucky you. Yesterday I double prepped four trays and they were all out of sequence. :arrrghhh


Sounds like it was walk sorted only. Probably your local MC is now really short on staff, especially CSS operators

The "How was your day" thread.

05 Apr 2020, 18:20

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Dannybuca wrote:Lucky you. Yesterday I double prepped four trays and they were all out of sequence. :arrrghhh


Sounds like it was walk sorted only. Probably your local MC is now really short on staff, especially CSS operators


I have no idea of the Internal Politics of Mail Centres, and you're obviously going to be struggling with Staff Shortages like everyone else ..... However it would make sense to me to Prioritise these CSS Operators and get them Sequencing the Mail? :hmmmm

EVERY Single Delivery Office is struggling to get as much mail delivered as is humanly possible during this current situation, (and if not delivered at least thrown off ready for the next day's Double Deliver). This normally entails Posties prepping more than one duty, often two or three, they're often unfamiliar with these duties. I always thought Walk Sequencing was a great idea in this type of situation because you could just follow the frame, even if you didn't know the walk. :thumbup

Then suddenly the Plug is Pulled (for whatever reason) and we step back into the 90s and everyone's manually throwing off EVERYTHING .... which takes twice as much time .... which has a knock on effect with delivering everything. :crazy:

Just seems like a False Economy to me, perhaps we're just robbing Peter to Pay Paul? :cuppa

The "How was your day" thread.

05 Apr 2020, 18:45

Dorset Plodder wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
Dannybuca wrote:Lucky you. Yesterday I double prepped four trays and they were all out of sequence. :arrrghhh


Sounds like it was walk sorted only. Probably your local MC is now really short on staff, especially CSS operators


I have no idea of the Internal Politics of Mail Centres, and you're obviously going to be struggling with Staff Shortages like everyone else ..... However it would make sense to me to Prioritise these CSS Operators and get them Sequencing the Mail? :hmmmm

EVERY Single Delivery Office is struggling to get as much mail delivered as is humanly possible during this current situation, (and if not delivered at least thrown off ready for the next day's Double Deliver). This normally entails Posties prepping more than one duty, often two or three, they're often unfamiliar with these duties. I always thought Walk Sequencing was a great idea in this type of situation because you could just follow the frame, even if you didn't know the walk. :thumbup

Then suddenly the Plug is Pulled (for whatever reason) and we step back into the 90s and everyone's manually throwing off EVERYTHING .... which takes twice as much time .... which has a knock on effect with delivering everything. :crazy:

Just seems like a False Economy to me, perhaps we're just robbing Peter to Pay Paul? :cuppa


For a CSS machine in a MC you need 2 people per machine (2hrs on 2hrs off). In a MC if the CSS staff are either Tracked or SD locker trained then they might be being used in them work areas instead. With packets being massively busy they might also be sacrificing the sequencing to get packets sorted.

The "How was your day" thread.

05 Apr 2020, 22:09

SpacePhoenix wrote:
For a CSS machine in a MC you need 2 people per machine (2hrs on 2hrs off). In a MC if the CSS staff are either Tracked or SD locker trained then they might be being used in them work areas instead. With packets being massively busy they might also be sacrificing the sequencing to get packets sorted.


Thanks for the insight SP. I can see where the problem lies. We make more money from parcels & packets (we know Rico wants to kill off the mail). So in this current crisis parcels & packets have gone through the roof, as everyone sits at home ordering stuff off the internet. :crazy:

You guys are trying to shift all those parcels & packets, probably because you're being told that's the priority (because Rico's still trying to make a profit even if the rest of the country's got other things to worry about). So the DOs only get walksorted mail .... which causes us multiple headaches ... but hey it's only mail who gives a shite? You do realise that a hell of a lot of those parcels are just sitting in the DOs waiting to be delivered? Because we're prioritising 1st Class Mail & Packets due to our staff shortages, and the fact that not all Duties are being deliverd. :cuppa

The "How was your day" thread.

05 Apr 2020, 22:22

Dorset Plodder wrote:Because we're prioritising 1st Class Mail & Packets due to our staff shortages, and the fact that not all Duties are being deliverd. :cuppa

Once mail reaches the inward MC it's ALL 1st Class. The time difference between 1C and 2C is built in to it's handling at MCs. 1C gets processed the evening it arrives (Day 1) at the outward MC, gets sent and is processed by the inward MC and is delivered in the morning (Day 2). 2C gets processed during the morning (Day 2) and is processed by the inward MC during the night of Day 2 and is delivered on Day 3.

Previous page Next page


Page 600 of 606   1 ... 597, 598, 599, 600, 601, 602, 603 ... 606