ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Signed for Letters (Recorded Delivery)

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
skelly21

Signed for Letters (Recorded Delivery)

Post by skelly21 »

AS I cannot get a sensible response from Customer Services could any staff help or advise please.
I have sent 3 Recorded Delivery letters to the same address on 6 and 7 May 2010 and 14 May 2010.
None of them are showing up on the online Track and Trace as being delivered , just the progressing through the system message, even though the 6 May one has had proof of delivery supplied from Customer Services.
Customer Services just want to treat them as lost mail but the importance of the letters is such that I need proof of delivery.
and do not have time to wait for the lost letters procedure as something that should have taken a couple of weeks to sort out is now on pause.
The letters were sent to a SO32 postcode but I have no idea what happens after the letter is signed for on delivery ie
how it get on the track and trace system.
Whatever has happened to old Recorded Delivery where the proof of delivery could sometimes appear on the track and trace
the same day as delivery.
Thanks

Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: Signed for Letters (Recorded Delivery)

Post by Lounge Lizard »

It depends where in the SO32 district they were sent to, more difficult if to Hedge End ( a Royal Mail Delivery Office ) or Ealtham Chase ( where I think the Post Office has closed ), but if to Bishops Waltham or Swanmore they they would have gone through the village's SPDO ( village delivery office ) so it might be worth phoning the relevant sub post office ( High Street, Bishops Waltham or New Road, Stanmore ) to see if they remember the items and can help.
skelly21

Post by skelly21 »

THank you, the letters were for Lower Upham 1HA.
By the way what happens to a Signed for items if on delivery there is a refusual to accept them.
I add a from to the envelope with my house number and post code but I wonder if this is enough to get the letter returned or would it go to NI first.
THanks
Stormproof

Post by Stormproof »

I expect you letters are still sitting in the Callers office waiting to be collected. I know they are meant to be kept for only 7 days then returned to sender but if there is a problem with the normal staffing of the callers office and someone is covering the duty they may not of been trained, so won't know to return the items on the 7th day. When I was off sick for a month I went back in to find a few weeks of returns still sitting on the shelves :d'oh!
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets

Illegitimi non carborundum
Patrick Clifton

Post by Patrick Clifton »

skelly21 wrote:THank you, the letters were for Lower Upham 1HA.
By the way what happens to a Signed for items if on delivery there is a refusual to accept them.
I add a from to the envelope with my house number and post code but I wonder if this is enough to get the letter returned or would it go to NI first.
THanks
If the addressee refuses to accept them, they should be sent back to sender. House number and postcode should be fine, they will just check to see what street your postcode is for and will usually write it onto the front of the letter for the postie.

If there was nobody in when the postie called with your letters then a notice should have been left for the addressee who then can either collect from the Royal Mail callers office. Arrange for it to be delivered to a local Post office & coolected from there or re-delivered.

As Stormproof has said, if a notice has been left for the addressee to collect/arrange for re-delivery, then it is then upto the addressee to action. The Callers office will hold onto a recorded item for 7 days before returning to sender.

Hope this helps :Very Happy
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

skelly21 wrote:THank you, the letters were for Lower Upham 1HA.
THanks
SO32 1HA will have been delivered through Bishops Waltham SPDO, so phone Bishops Waltham Post Office, 01489 892501, tomorrow morning and they should be able to tell you if it wasn't delivered and they're holding it awaiting collection by the addressee, or if it was refused and is being returned to you they probably remember the item. Good luck. :Very Happy
skelly21

Post by skelly21 »

An update on the info supplied.
This morning i telephoned the Bishops Waltham post office but a lady told me letter to that code were delivered by Hedge End.
However Hedge End said they were delivered by Waltham, which I assume is the local version of the name, but on ringing there again I was told by a gent that they are only the post office and have nothing to do with deliveries.
Any ideas please.
Thanks
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

skelly21 wrote:An update on the info supplied.
This morning i telephoned the Bishops Waltham post office but a lady told me letter to that code were delivered by Hedge End.
However Hedge End said they were delivered by Waltham, which I assume is the local version of the name, but on ringing there again I was told by a gent that they are only the post office and have nothing to do with deliveries.
Any ideas please.
Thanks
I understand S032 1HA to be Winchester Road in Lower Upham, which includes businesses such as the Woodman Inn, Down Farm, Marquis Motorhomes and E T Stephens.
On consulting the list below I see though that SO32 1-- is split between Bishops Waltham SPDO and Hedge End Delivery Office, so Bishops Waltham Post Office might be correct in what they say and if it is considered to be Hedge End then it's correct that the Post Office would have nothing to do with deliveries.
SO32 1-1 BISHOPS WALTHAM SPDO
SO32 1-3 HEDGE END DO
SO32 2-2 WALTHAM CHASE SPDO
SO32 2-3 SWANMORE SPDO
Not that any of this helps you any further.
So is there anyone else from a nearer part of Hampshire on here ?
skelly21

Post by skelly21 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
Any ideas please.
Thanks
I understand S032 1HA to be Winchester Road in Lower Upham, which includes businesses such as the Woodman Inn, Down Farm, Marquis Motorhomes and E T Stephens.
On consulting the list below I see though that SO32 1-- is split between Bishops Waltham SPDO and Hedge End Delivery Office, so Bishops Waltham Post Office might be correct in what they say and if it is considered to be Hedge End then it's correct that the Post Office would have nothing to do with deliveries.
SO32 1-3 HEDGE END DO
SO32 2-3 SWANMORE SPDO
THanks, I was grateful for any help and I might try Hedge End again in the morning.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

skelly21 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
Any ideas please.
Thanks
SO32 1-3 HEDGE END DO
SO32 2-3 SWANMORE SPDO
THanks, I was grateful for any help and I might try Hedge End again in the morning.
As you "sent 3 Recorded Delivery letters to the same address on 6 and 7 May 2010 and 14 May 2010" then surely by now there should either be delivery signatures for you to view or, as undelivered Recorded Delivery items ( for which a 'Sorry you were out' card is left ) are kept for just one week, the items should have been returned to you.
If neither is the case then something is wrong. :sad: .
skelly21

Post by skelly21 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
skelly21 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
Any ideas please.
Thanks
SO32 1-3 HEDGE END DO
SO32 2-3 SWANMORE SPDO
As you "sent 3 Recorded Delivery letters to the same address on 6 and 7 May 2010 and 14 May 2010" then surely by now there should either be delivery signatures for you to view or, as undelivered Recorded Delivery items ( for which a 'Sorry you were out' card is left ) are kept for just one week, the items should have been returned to you.
If neither is the case then something is wrong. :sad: .
Yes exactly, that is the point I have been trying to make to Customer Services but they want to treat them only as lost mail.
All three letters on the track and trace are still showing as "going through the "system.
However the letter sent on 6 May was found by Customer Services on 14 May as delivered on 7 May and they emailed the details.
However I have just checked the other 2 via the phone both by the auto system and with a customer advisor and neither are showing up as being delivered.
On the address label I do include a "from" at the bottom with my house number and postcode and if the letters had been refused could it be that this info is not enough for the person who has to return the mail and so they are on their way to NI.
My concern is that whatever other people may say Royal Mail are usually up to the job and I think the letters would have got to the address on the envelope but if they were refused there appears to be no system for recording this other than returning the letter.
mazza111
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by mazza111 »

If they were returned to you or sent to RLB (ireland) they should show up on Royal Mail's tracking system. That's why I'm assuming the Customer Services Agent is treating them as lost mail.

That is if they have been dealt with in the correct way.
not me

Post by not me »

Yes exactly, that is the point I have been trying to make to Customer Services but they want to treat them only as lost mail.
All three letters on the track and trace are still showing as "going through the "system.
However the letter sent on 6 May was found by Customer Services on 14 May as delivered on 7 May and they emailed the details.
However I have just checked the other 2 via the phone both by the auto system and with a customer advisor and neither are showing up as being delivered.
On the address label I do include a "from" at the bottom with my house number and postcode and if the letters had been refused could it be that this info is not enough for the person who has to return the mail and so they are on their way to NI.
My concern is that whatever other people may say Royal Mail are usually up to the job and I think the letters would have got to the address on the envelope but if they were refused there appears to be no system for recording this other than returning the letter.
okay,to break it down

progressing through the network is RM code for not been scanned

the first point an RD is scanned is on(witrh PDA's) or after delivery (if using the paper sig sheets)
if its delivered and a paper sig obtained,the barcode is scanned(status with no show delivered on T&T) and those sheets sent off to be scanned and uploaded onto track and trace

if an RD (or SD) is undelivered then it is scanned at at the office as undelivered and a reason code used eg no answer,refused,addressee unknown etc(then they are scanned as returned to sender or Belfast if theres no return address)
this shows on the RM intranet(not internet) site
so if RM CS can access the intranet they can see this
if not your local RM depot can do this on their terminals with the tracking number

so its all down to the quality of tracking
I have posted before on the falicy of posties signing for RD's or worse not obtaining a sig at all
their mentality is that its delivered and all is fine
as you know in your case(i assume its a legal issue) that just being delivered is no good to you

Im not saying this has happened but the lack of tracking suggests it
skelly21

Post by skelly21 »

Thanks again for the info.
It makes a worrying situation a little easier to cope with.
I used the Signed for system as I have never had a problem with it before though it has been a couple of years since I last used it but always getting the track and trace within a couple of days
If anyone can "legally" access the RM intranet for me the outstanding numbers are AG465615945GB and AG007054198GB
not me

Post by not me »

skelly21 wrote:Thanks again for the info.
It makes a worrying situation a little easier to cope with.
I used the Signed for system as I have never had a problem with it before though it has been a couple of years since I last used it but always getting the track and trace within a couple of days
If anyone can "legally" access the RM intranet for me the outstanding numbers are AG465615945GB and AG007054198GB

I dont have access anymore im afraid
mazza may
however you can pop into an RM delivery office and ask for a print out of the "audit trail" from the tracking number
this will give you all the tracking that is on the RM system on that item