ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

mail centre closures

21 Feb 2017, 21:02

It must be that time of year again. The rumours are going around about Woking and Gatwick centres closing. I don't know if Gatwick has something to do with lease ending or airport expansion (even though Heathrow has been given the nod). Anybody know anything?

mail centre closures

21 Feb 2017, 23:43

bankimoon wrote:It must be that time of year again. The rumours are going around about Woking and Gatwick centres closing. I don't know if Gatwick has something to do with lease ending or airport expansion (even though Heathrow has been given the nod). Anybody know anything?

Woking is just a VOC not a MC and a hub of HWDC, the reason for its survival is that HWDC is upto its max re its O Licence. The long term plan is that Woking DO and its subs will move into the VOC when the artics are moved out but it is linked to whatever happens with Gatwick MC cos there is a plan that Gatwick will move out due to expansion as the MC is on the site of the 2nd runway and will move to Horley and merge with Croydon there. That's the plan but will take time

mail centre closures

22 Feb 2017, 08:10

Not sure that HWDC is safe either, iirc one possible runway location at Heathrow took in where HWDC is, until the final, final decision is made about the extra runway and where it will go at the airport that gets it, HWDC can't be considered 100% safe

mail centre closures

22 Feb 2017, 16:18

Yeah. I think HWDC (and the building next door in the same business park that handles imports) have a 50/50 chance, at best. Their lease is up within the next few years.

I know exactly zilch about the logistics of this sort of thing. Is there any value in having a mail centre practically next door to a third runway?

mail centre closures

22 Feb 2017, 17:46

I've heard HWDC is moving to Manchester as BAA wants the sites back. Also PRDC is being linked to a site near Radlett as a possible replacement due to Cross Rail and HS1 and Network Rail waiting PRDC site back. My understanding is that Old Oak Common is where a lot of trains are stored and it is going to be used as a Hub Rail station so the trains may have to be stored near Willesden.
Also Greenford MC is on the HS1 train route so a big Mail Centre review in the new South region on the cards as both Greenford and Jubilee maxed up workwise. Croydon and Gatwick possible merging to a site in Horley but the SE work staying at Beddington Farm Lane rumours coming out of Croydon is that SW would move in with SE and we'd get a new 9Elms but in Croydon. The interesting bit of the reorganistaion of the regions is that WD and EN are classed as South region so possible new MC somewhere on the North Circular that would cover EN/HA/N/NW/W/UB/TW/WD. Another MC/IVO outside London cover SL/GU and mayb RG. The potential merged MC in Horley covers BN/CR/BR/RH/SM and KT as it is potentially inside London waiting area. Oh yes The Mount would stay open too with maybe E, SW or N work. May I stress this is all idle speculation but don't think its not being planned as we speak a new RM vision post 2025.

mail centre closures

25 Feb 2017, 13:39

I also heard that Gatwick mail centre lease expires this year so don't know how this will affect things.

mail centre closures

26 Feb 2017, 09:21

They've been painting and papering all the walls at Peterborough MC over the past 2 weeks..

We must be up for closure, then!!! :Very Happy :Very Happy

mail centre closures

27 Feb 2017, 00:47

Peterborough is safe for now they are not ready to take on Norwich yet

mail centre closures

09 Mar 2017, 11:59

Won't hear any definite news about HWDC/ILC closure or extension of the lease until 2018.
But it's looking bleak, nearly 2000 opg's across both sites, there ain't that many vacancies on success factors.

mail centre closures

09 Mar 2017, 15:37

Gatwick is having all its large Siemens machines upgraded and refurbished this Spring.

The LGW second runway looks to be almost dead in the water.

Cannot comment about the lease.

mail centre closures

09 Mar 2017, 19:40

NW11851 wrote:Gatwick is having all its large Siemens machines upgraded and refurbished this Spring.

What machines a MC has means nothing. Any MC can be emptied of all its machines in a couple of weeks

mail centre closures

09 Mar 2017, 22:36

Not really. Upgrades are hugely expensive and rarely happen if the MC is marked for potential closure, and machine movements (ie a working machine to another working office) are avoided if possible, although that said CSS's are frequently moved.

mail centre closures

10 Mar 2017, 09:57

Besides isn't Gatwick Silver award in WCM? Spoke to a HWDC driver he def seem to think that Manchester was def an option in the future.

mail centre closures

10 Mar 2017, 10:55

What type of mail does Gatwick's Siemens machines process?

mail centre closures

11 Apr 2017, 01:59

In Portsmouth they put in two brand new CSS machines 6 weeks before it shut.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2